Hacking What happened?

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's back in action using Wood R4. people hate it since a lot of n00bs complain about how a game doesn't work on it. and don't get me started on clones.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
gweedyj said:
Before i left the scene the R4 was all the rage. Now its nothing more then a shell of its former self. It seems most people seem to hate it now. And i see a lot of talk of clones. What happened and what is a clone?

Better not to think about any of it. Just don't buy one, lol. Even with the new wood firmware, it's still far from the best choice.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Dunno what happened, other than....

The people who maintained the firmware quit, better firmware started to get made, and Chinese people wanted money so bad that they started cloning the best known flashcart out there. Next week we'll probably see the R42.7i Super SDHC flashcart that comes with an R4 EZ-3in1 Slot-2 device or a rumble pack, neither of which work. Or a Slot-2 R4 that claims to run in both GBA mode and DS mode at the same time... Or some other friggen flash cart where it only supports original R4 firmware version 1.
In any case, that's exactly what happens with the R4. (I still wonder how I got a real R4 (it runs all the ones that don't work on fakes, so I assume it's real) with all these fakes going around)

Also, I was reading the name of this topic while listening to Invasion of the Gabber Robots (All Your Base Are Belong to Us techno remix, for those who didn't know).
As I read "What Happened?" in my head, the song went "What happen?". This has just made my day.

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must have been away for a very long while than, the R4 team broke up cause Nintendo was suing them. So the R4 no longer got updated firmware, which made it out dated very fast I guess.

That and sense than the other flash cards have upgraded, and had better and prettier firmware, that did get updated while the R4 stayed the same and stuck using only 1 & 2 gig flash cards.

Ehh.. but alot of the ranting seems to have died down to me with Wood coming out, its a new firmware for the R4 that's making it great once again.

gweedyj

Brooklyn Beatdown!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.thebrooklynbeatdown.com
XP
Country
United States
Prime_Zero said:
You must have been away for a very long while than, the R4 team broke up cause Nintendo was suing them. So the R4 no longer got updated firmware, which made it out dated very fast I guess.

That and sense than the other flash cards have upgraded, and had better and prettier firmware, that did get updated while the R4 stayed the same and stuck using only 1 & 2 gig flash cards.

Ehh.. but alot of the ranting seems to have died down to me with Wood coming out, its a new firmware for the R4 that's making it great once again.
Yeah ive been out of the loop since late 07 early 08. How fast things seem to change lol.

bekar

Trophies
Website
www.omgpop.com
XP
Country
United States
The R4 IS greast, actually.
You have no idea. No idea unless you actually have one
tongue.gif

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thoob said:
TM2-Megatron said:
The R4 will never be great again.
...says the guy with the big R4 in his sig.

My sig is intentionally poking fun at the R4, with an obvious double entendre that's also a play on the old "got milk?" ads.

I've never owned one, lol. I have a CycloDS, M3 GBA Expansion Pack, and M3 Perfect Lite. Also have a Supercard DSTWO on pre-order from ShopTemp. I don't buy cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1