Gaming What happened to Kirby Ultra Deluxe?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Pyrofyr

Thanks for the explanation! I'm a bit newbish in that respect I guess. I knew about 1st and 3rd party, but didn't quite get 2nd.

@Hadrian

I'd totally forgot about that list! I'd consider that news that it's still slated for release. Thanks for that because now I can rest easier.

I studied the small video/pictures and reached a few definite conclusions:

1: the buddy system will return and will very likely have wireless co op. On the bottom right of one of the pictures, there is a wireless connection icon that definitely indicates multiplayer:
61391020071010_201640_1_big.jpg

2: the abilities in the original KSS all had their own set of moves. Beam had the traditional laser whip along with a charged shot and some other ones that could be executed with special button combos. In the forest scene of the short video we have, the buddy Waddle Doo uses the laser whip, but just before he executes it, you can see the charging animation that would normally be used for a charged shot. The original charge sound effect is there as well. This leads me to firmly believe that the game will retain all the abilities/gameplay elements of the original.

3: The sound effects seem to be the exact same. Can't wait to hear some of the music.

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heran Bago said:
Yeah, one friend asked me why the new GC/Wii Kirby game wasn't getting worked on (to our knowledge and when I told him HAL was probably busy with Smash Bros Brawl and Pokemon Ranger 2 he just stared right through me.

No one confused Bungie with Microsoft... the tale of second parties is a sad one.

As far as I saw credit wise, Hal wasn't involved in Ranger 2. Look over the box and in game stuff. You won't see any mention of Hal or it's logo anywhere. I think if Hal was involved with Ranger 2, they wouldn't have reused music and made the game mechanics so dumbed down it isn't fun anymore.

As for the DS Superstar, I would like to see it, but I KNEW they would add a map for the great cave offensive. It was the most time consuming part of the game, and now they made it easier for dumb little kids. Kirby really needs improve on difficulty, even if the series IS intended for beginners.

Oh, and Kirby Tilt n Tumble 2 for game cube was canceled and never saw the light again.

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doomsday Forte said:
VBKirby said:
Oh, and Kirby Tilt n Tumble 2 for game cube was canceled and never saw the light again.
Funnily enough, that sounds like a title perfect for Wiimote control.

That would be totally awesome. Though it would mean I'd have to actually buy a Wii. I've had no reason to get one so far. Everyone hated Kirby Tilt n Tumble which is stupid since it was a really awesome game. It was the only time Kirby had an audible line. When he gets a red star he goes "Yatta!" (not sure how to spell that.) For those who don't know,
It's a Japanese exclamation which is usually translated for fansubs as "Yes!"

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@granville - That sounds behind sexy. I can only hope that this will be multiplayer as well, as it'll add a whole lot of potential to this game. My God, I'd love to be able to just rock out with some friends on WiFi kirby-style... it was always too solo for me, but it's still awesome >:3

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VBKirby said:
Doomsday Forte said:
VBKirby said:

That would be totally awesome. Though it would mean I'd have to actually buy a Wii. I've had no reason to get one so far. Everyone hated Kirby Tilt n Tumble which is stupid since it was a really awesome game. It was the only time Kirby had an audible line. When he gets a red star he goes "Yatta!" (not sure how to spell that.) For those who don't know,
Yes, because game quality should be measured in useless facts.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VBKirby said:
Everyone hated Kirby Tilt n Tumble.
Did they? Reviews for it were great and I loved it.

There is a Wii game currently being made, I think its the one that was meant for GC (not the tilt one).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot about Tilt n Tumble 2. This seems to be the only Kirby game that was ever truly canceled. It WOULD be a good title for wii, but there's a possibility of people not liking it as much due to Super Monkey Ball. But wasn't it considered to be some sort of tech demo like Mario 128? I remember Kirby Air Ride being announced and canned for N64, and then magically and suddenly revived and released on Gamecube. Nintendo and Hal seem not to squander their games often. Maybe we'll still see TNT 2.

With a system like DS and Super Star being considered the best Kirby game ever by most fans, it seems unlikely this will be canceled. The video and screens seem to indicate that it is pretty far along in development. I don't support over use of the DS' two screens, but it's nice to use it as a HUD. If you look at the SNES game, 1/4 of the screen is obscured by the lifebar and other statistical information. Putting these on a separate screen keeps the action nice and tidy. It's better than forcing touch mechanics or having it blank.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JKR Firefox said:
Hadrian said:
TNT 2 would be a great fit for WiiWare.

Yeah but you know they'd pass on releasing it there because they wouldn't be able to charge as much as they'd be able to make if it were released as a DS/Wii game.
Wouldn't they'd make more off it? I'll assume it would have been a £10/£15 game. I think that most of the sales from a physical release goes to distribution & manufacturing costs as well as what the retailer takes.

I'm sure they would have released Dr Mario on the DS if they'd thought they'd get more from it.

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
VBKirby said:
Doomsday Forte said:
VBKirby said:

Yes, because game quality should be measured in useless facts.

Well, that's not exactly what I was getting at. It's an awesome game music wise, mechanics wise, challenge wise, and enjoyment wise. It was also a decent length for a Kirby game. That little useless fact was just a nice touch is all. It had no effect on the game's quality. I suppose I didn't quite put enough information in that post.

And to that other guy, Just because game reviews like a game, doesn't necessarily mean people like it. Every time I mention that I like Kirby Tilt n Tumble on any forum (except this one) people reply with stuff like "That game sucked" and "that was my least favourite Kirby game!"

But back on topic, I'm looking forward to this remake, but I'm afraid they might mess up the mechanics of certain abilities. In Super Star, You are able to grab an enemy in mid-air with Ninja. In squeak squad, they made it so it's only on the ground. I'm afraid they might do that for this remake too. Ninja is an awesome ability mainly because of that move, but they made it impossible to use in Squeak Squad, thus ruining it. I'll be upset if they do that in this remake. I'm also nervous if they will change the gourmet race a lot. I'm an expert at those on the SNES, so it'll be annoying if they add new stuff to the tracks. And now that there is a map to great cave offensive, how are they going to dumb it down even more? will they add an ability enemy you need closer to where you need it? Part of the challenge in great cave offensive is getting where you need to go with the right ability. And they're bound to make the treasure where you need to jump on wheelie rider easier. I just don't want them to change too much or make it easier. Remakes are bad for dumbing things down.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not much to go by, but certain things about the screens and video indicate that this will be faithful to the original game. Here's a few indications of this point:

1: The cutter ability will probably have the same moves. Look at this picture:
61391020071010_201644_8_big.jpg

This was a pose for Kirby that could only be seen if you did a running jump and used the cutter in mid-air. It's exactly the same pose (designed using the new sprites of course) and indicates the move will be identical as well. The location is also identical (except in the newly drawn art) to the very first area in Green Greens right before you get to the warp star (which is JUST off to the right of this screen).

2: The screenshot from Gourmet Race:
61391020071010_201641_2_big.jpg

This scene is an exactly replicated part of stage 2 (again barring the new art). I have compared the screenshot side-by-side with the SNES version and it's exactly the same. Even the carrot, milk, and coffee are there in the original.

3: In the video, you can clearly hear and see the buddy Waddle Doo charging the beam before letting it go as a laser whip. That is absolute proof that the charge beam will be there.

4: the Great Cave Offensive screen is also replicated from a real part of the original.

If these points are any indication, this remake will be handled very elegantly.The new graphics are beautiful and top the original (which I commend them on since the original was great looking). I hope the sound is kept the same.

I agree with the mechanics being a very important part of the game, but even early information indicates that Nintendo/Hal will be paying close attention to the small details (primarily, the extensive move set for each ability). I also don't think they are using the same game engine as Squeak Squad or any of the GBA games. The sprites are much bigger and what little video we have seems to play differently from the GBA games. They may even be using the original game engine and building upon the source. We just need some more information and media to get some more judgment on it.

Unrelated: yay for my hundredth post!

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I certainly like the upgraded Dynablade visually, but I've hated Dedede's design since Nightmare in Dream Land. He's big and ugly rather than his normal cute self. If there's one thing I hope they change graphically, it's the seizure inducing explosions after beating a boss. If you have to play Super Star in a dark room, shield your eyes for that. Especially Marx's Hyper Beam that flashes yellow on the blue background. I always shield my eyes for that no matter what lighting there is.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's strange. I always thought Dedede looked "cuter" in his GBA form. He seemed more at his actual size and look in the GBA games.
comparisondededehi4.gif

The flashing was common in SNES games and seemed to be their way of doing special effects back then. Either they'll remove the flashing effects or tone them down for the DS remake. There was a similar effect in the end battle of Final Fantasy 4. They kept it in the DS remake, but heavily toned it down to non-seizure levels.

If there is one thing I hope they redo well, it's the Marx battle. His theme was recently in SSB Brawl, so Nintendo/Hal clearly appreciates him. He was so cool in the original SNES game, that I hope they keep differences to a minimum in this version. The battle had all kinds of cool things:

A cool background that scrolled dynamically
His wings and their crystal-like objects
His laugh (Kefka on helium)
His attacks and their respective mode-7 effects

Judging by how they've redesigned Dynablade, though, I don't think we have anything to worry about. They made Dynablade AND her background 100% better!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An old screenshot we've not seen before:

ninp57.jpg

Obviously of the title screen. It's as old as the others, but seems to have been missed. I assume it was playable at the convention.

Translated badly(Google) from coverage of the Nintendo Conference 2007:

"SNES in 1996 to release "Kirby Super Deluxe" remake. DS version of the original stage has been added to the mini-games are significantly improved in all three said.

The basic way to play, with most of the SNES version, TATCHIPEN not be used. Has used plenty of colorful pastel stage, defeat enemies GUIGUI proceed in a while. Kirby played for a long time I have, but I can not play her feel old. 2D action game appeal condensed tightly shut and making the rounds around without regard to an involuntary smile.

Three mini-games, I'm asking well-known "Kirby" Taste. Carta against the same picture of the emergence of a target to aim for an instant snapshot, the flow of foreign material on the conveyor belt, including mini-games-shedding in the customary manner of hateful CPU caravan compete with rivals. Moderate levels of 1 to 3, but, CPU difficulty setting is exquisite, low and "I do not feel I'm in NAME", and go on "Do I have to respond with!" Human Challenge the limits of the feeling is really great.

Staff of the way "This, after clearing the stage and mini-games and will increase or not such a feature?" I asked, "is still in development, perhaps the mini-games that can increase much………… or even ? "A very delicate answers. Personally, about half a day without batting an eye at that time had been "upset the moment" to revive the once very happy but, if realized, the moving train, HAMATTA, the Do not feel alarmed not . Release in 2008, the price is yet to be determined."

Original source: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071010/ninp.htm

squeakypants

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't waaaait...

granville said:
I don't actually think many (if any) Kirby games have been canceled. The ones that were just got bumped up to a higher system.
Kirby GC was cancelled (or "indefinite hold"), my guess because of SSBB. More recently (about 6 months ago) they said it's in development again. I reeeeally hope we see it at E3.

QUOTE(Heran Bago @ Jun 5 2008, 12:50 AM) What happened to people's ability to distinguish between HAL Labs and Nintendo?
Isn't HAL a first party? (checks) Nope, second party. Damn.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kirby GC was moved up to Wii like Super Paper Mario before it. It was never really canceled but just got a platform change like Kirby's Air Ride 64 became a GC title.

This one being a remake should mean it'll be a bit easier to handle. I'm really expecting it to be at E3 (along with Kirby Wii). This article seems to indicate it'll be present on the floor:

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=186488

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-