Question What happened to dOPUS?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by fl0PPsy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Kotomine Kirei

Kotomine Kirei GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2015
    United States
    I do not know the extent of HiD's programming abilities, but if they are pretty good, it would be nice to see the developers of various Switch apps work together with them on a compilation app.
    It would possibly help with the credit/exclusion problem, and let the community benefit from having a more cohesive app.

As for the name of something like that, maybe "SANity Manager" (Switch Application uNity Manager) would work?
    For a logo, it could have an "M" made with the "A" and "N" of "SANity", and a "b" made with the dot in the "i".

andyhappypants likes this.
  2. HiD

HiD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    Canada
    I’ve been reverse engineering devmenu lately. It’s not that hard if you are familiar with ARM assembly, which luckily I am.
    The thing I’d need help with is how to dump sysmodules from the switch. Not that it is mandatory, but I would like to understand the whole thing. I have no idea how to do that past 3.0.0 and that fsldr exploit. Still fun to implement though.

ingsoc, Reecey, peteruk and 1 other person like this.
  3. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I like. Now that sounds like some serious potential! Welcome due back!

4. deusversus

deusversus Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    United States

You keep insinuating that everyone is a petulant child that will throw a tantrum just because their work is being used in similar (but certainly NOT identical) projects. This is patently untrue; if authors care this much about reuse of their code they could release it under a different license or not release the source at all. They chose to release the code under the license they did SPECIFICALLY so people like HiD can build upon their work.

Should he work toward cooperation and integration with existing projects and give proper credit to all his sources? Definitely, that's the ideal. Should he be discouraged from releasing his project because a bunch of naysayers started complaining on SOMEONE ELSE's behalf about "similar functionality"? No.

ingsoc likes this.
  5. blawar

blawar Developer

pip Developer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    Why must you continue the drama? It sounds like Hyde is fixing the criticisms so just let the issue die.

ingsoc, jakkal and deusversus like this.
  6. deusversus

deusversus Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, yeah. Fine. You're right.

ingsoc likes this.
  7. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I'm guessing not everyone is around at the same time to see these things play out "live". So, if it's something that makes them want to comment, even well after the fact, then it must mean it was a pretty evocative issue. Personally, I'd like to NOT see this happen again, so if that means hammering home the general feeling then that's not so bad. Both sides probably could've handled it better so live and learn as always..

deusversus and HiD like this.
  8. ScottNBNP

ScottNBNP GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Australia
    I still have and still use dOPUS as many have said because of the fact it can do XCI and NSP and the most important feature the ability to delete the file after install.

Instead of using 3 different apps to do what I need I've just used dOPUS. I to would like to see the project updated if any issues arrive in the future. At the moment it's perfect and does exactly what I need. So thank you so much HID.

Moko and fl0PPsy like this.
  9. jakibaki

jakibaki GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2017
    Germany
    Dumping sysmodules isn't hard :)

Just dump the nand, obtain the bis-keys using biskeydump and then mount the system-partition with hacdiskmount or switchfs.
    After that just run the ncas (I think they're in the Registered folder or something like that) through hactool to decrypt them.

Or do you mean to dump them from device? In that case idk for certain but I'm pretty sure that you can mount the system partition and then just copy the ncas.

HiD likes this.
  10. HiD

HiD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    Canada
    I’ll try that. I haven’t looked too much in hacdiskmount tbh haha. I got all the nca names from the device itself. They are indeed in the registered folder. But cannot mount them directly on the switch anymore (before you used to crash fsldr and reinstantiate it to do whatever you like). Thanks for the tip!

peteruk likes this.
  11. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Listen mate.

I`m confident you have the backing of the majority of people to release your app.

It was nothing but salt before as you were inadvertantly going into competition with that warblar or blarblar whatever his name was.
    And he was apparently taking the moral high ground because it was his bum-chum who wrote the app originally.
    But now that person isn`t developing Tinfoil anymore and it is now being developed by a - and I quote / paraphrase - "A dev with less respect" so it is now fair game and it all of a sudden doesn`t matter a jot now apparently.
    Hate is a strong word. But I hate how this turned out for you. Because of 1 (maybe 2 people)

The feedback from your app has been overwhelmingly positive.

So head up high, reopen your thread and be confident that the mods have your back.

Good luck mate.

Last edited by mattytrog, Oct 14, 2018
    deusversus, ingsoc and peteruk like this.
  12. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I wish someone would fork and improve (complete) XorTroll's Switch media player(s?)... They have tons of potential, but they don't play anything stable for me, and he never updates them.

13. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    He might as well continue deveoping his app. Tinfoil is in pretty bad hands now

14. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    This is nice because there's still a lot of mysteries surrounding it. For example, TinFoil had an issue installing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC (could install the v0 DLC but not the latest version DLC) and DevMenuApp had no trouble installing it. Eventually it'd be cool to see a completely redone version of DevMenuApp that can be legally distributed.

peteruk likes this.
  15. borngborn

borngborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2018
    United States
    Xortroll is a great dev why so much hate why dont u go code somthing yourselves before you critize the devolpers who are trying to make the switch great

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. borngborn

borngborn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2018
    United States
    If everydev acted like HiD nuthin wuld be done for the scene

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

17. blawar

blawar Developer

pip Developer
    Nov 21, 2016