Hardware What Graphics card do I get?

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm building a PC and my friend is helping me with it but I need a broader input of what u should get. He's telling me to wait for the 3060 but I wanted to know if waiting was truly the best option. The most I'd spend on it is around 350.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
What types of games and settings (e.g. resolution, texture quality, refresh rate, etc.) do you play/use?

In regards to the 30 series, I’d wait considering the issues they had with the 3080/90.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
save for the new xbox and ps5 because most of the games will be there.

or buy 3070 which will be equal to 2080ti I have.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hope you didnt start building it yet hehe

D

Deleted User

he can start building the pc, but he's probably just holding back on the graphics card

if you want to hold off a bit and wait for the 3060, and still have the pc partially built, i'd say at least get a cheaper budget graphics card, you could get something like a gt 1030 for fairly cheap and it's good enough for 1080p gaming at lower settings

Reactions: mightymuffy

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I have two titan x pascal with sli adapter on my self I wish I could give it to someone in need but the shipping is expensive

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Useless junk hehe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 231

SANIC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
save for the new xbox and ps5 because most of the games will be there.

I already bought the Series S for just gamepass and Sony shit the bed with the PS5 and ruined my hype with lack of exclusives etc. I already have a PS4, but the PS5 just left a bad taste in my mouth which is why I am building it to begin with.

Anyways I just have the ram, mid atx tower and nve SSD nothing else.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I already bought the Series S for just gamepass and Sony shit the bed with the PS5 and ruined my hype with lack of exclusives etc. I already have a PS4, but the PS5 just left a bad taste in my mouth which is why I am building it to begin with.

Anyways I just have the ram, mid atx tower and nve SSD nothing else.
No console lunched with great games unlike the gamecube first games. It will get better over time

SANIC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No console lunched with great games unlike the gamecube first games. It will get better over time
That's why I'm not buying it at launch despite what my friends are telling me, I got a series s to play what I need to and holding off until the PS5 becomes more appealing. 70 dollar games and Gamepass in general just make it seem bad

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
That's why I'm not buying it at launch despite what my friends are telling me, I got a series s to play what I need to and holding off until the PS5 becomes more appealing. 70 dollar games and Gamepass in general just make it seem bad

yeah dlc and $70 are too much for us.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

yeah dlc and $70 are too much for us.

One reason why I’m (trying) to hold off is because by the time there’s a decent library of exclusives, prices will likely have dropped and/or a console revision.

The only reason I got the Series X was Gamepass and All Access.

Anyway, if you don’t have a CPU yet, I believe next month AMD will announce 4000 series CPUs so you may want to wait for that.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I always buy consoles early because I dont want to setup the console and account and then update the system to play the latest game I want hehe.

thominho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
GTX 1660ti or AMD 5500XT for 1080p.
RTX 3080 (currently only) for 4K
RTX 3060 for 2K
I considering not only current benchmarks but also how graphics evolve per year so RTX 3060 may provide 4K this year but 2 years afterwads 4K be completly unplayable.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without a doubt wait for the AMD announcements, even if you aren't interested in Ryzen 5000 the previous generations will get cheaper afterwards. I would be looking at a B550 motherboard and Ryzen 7. AMD is also about to announce new graphics cards and may very well provide similar performance to Nvidia for better value (and definitely less power draw).

Kingy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My friend is telling me to get a tomohawk b450 max, what is the the difference between that one and the b550
Not much, since AMD has said they will support Zen 3 for B450 motherboards, and since Zen 4 will most likely be on a whole new socket anyways- the B450 is the better buy if you can find a quality one for cheaper. And, if the BIOS is not updated for Zen 3 out of the box and you have bought a Zen 3 CPU, the B450 Tomahawk Max supports CPU-less BIOS flashing so you should be absolutely fine if you have another device you can copy a very small file to a USB flash drive with.

According to this sheet, the B450 Tomahawk Max's VRMs should work perfectly fine with all Ryzen CPUs (unless you're planning to heavily OC Ryzen 9 with limited airflow, which is a very rare case anyways.)
So I'd say go for it, I'd rather take a quality B450 than a budget B550.

Edit: I forgot about PCIe Gen 4, which I don't think is supported in the B450 Tomahawk Max. PCIe Gen 4 has a pretty small, if not none, performance increase from Gen 3 for graphics cards anyways, so I doubt you'd really notice a difference in that part.

Last edited by Kingy,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Kingy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3070 isn't out yet
Don't forget both the 3090 and 3080 are performing slower than we were promised, whoops :P
I'm interested to see what the 3070 is like compared to what was promised by the Jensen, but right now waiting for RDNA 2's announcement before buying a GPU seems like the better choice for sure

Reactions: Alexander1970

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget both the 3090 and 3080 are performing slower than we were promised, whoops :P
I'm interested to see what the 3070 is like compared to what was promised by the Jensen, but right now waiting for RDNA 2's announcement before buying a GPU seems like the better choice for sure

I'm more interested in the 3070 and rumored 3060 TI to be honest, as I really don't want to redo my cable management for a two PCI-e connection:ph34r:

Reactions: Kingy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...