What Flash cart to get?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by major_mew, Feb 19, 2016.

1. major_mew
    OP

major_mew Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    No
    Hi I'm just decided to buy a ds flashcart to play on my 3ds (NOT GATEWAY OR SKY 3DS) And I've heard great things about the supercard dstwo plus but also I heard that The different r4 cards are great as well can someone help me pick out the perfect flash cart and the cheapest/most trustworthy reseller to buy it from. My 3ds firmware is 9.2 sysnand and 10.6 emunand. I have the New Nintendo 3ds XL Thanks in advanced

Last edited by major_mew, Mar 14, 2016
  2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    You can get one here: http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html

I have been told before that DS flashcarts are no longer blacklisted on 3DS, since nintendo is trying to stamp out Sky3DS and Gateway flashcarts and custom firmwares. If you want a more definitive answer you can either email modchipdirect or R4i as to if the flashcart I listed above will work on 10.5.

3. Sachi

Sachi GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    ^Out of Stock

Here's the one I ordered and is shipping. You'd definitely want the R4i Gold though. It also goes by "R4i Gold 3ds," "R4i Gold RTS," etc.
    The R4i SDHC is cheaper and decent-so I've heard. But the team behind it might stop updates down the line.

4. major_mew
    OP

major_mew Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    No
    So can someone tell me the pros and cons of the supercard and r4i I heard the supercard is better in some specs

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks guys I think I'll most likely get the R4 Thanks!

5. helltoast

helltoast Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    If you still haven't bought one, get a R4i Gold 3DS RTS. The DSTWO is better (more features, better build quality) but it was made for the DSL specifically.

The CPU inside the DSTWO will drain your battery thrice as fast, even with the lid closed. I wouldn't recommend it for a DSi or 3DS.

6. HentaiHedghog

HentaiHedghog Banned

Banned
    Feb 29, 2016
    United States
    Yes. These flashcarts are constantly updated to work with the latest firmware. I have had one for like a year now.

7. helltoast

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    Those are terrible, even with YSMenu (I think the latest YSMenu supports them? They're just bad all around otherwise), but then you'd be better off getting a R4i-SDHC for 10 bucks shipped. Specially with the rumors floating around Chinese forums that R4iSDHCs have a timer.

They're only afloat still because they advertise literally everywhere.

Technicmaster0 likes this.
  8. helltoast

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    The team behind it is composed by scammers, lots of clones (the cart itself being a clone... of a clone), no support, less features, terrible build quality, etc.

Also there are rumors that newer batches have a self-destruct timer inside of them. Those were reported in Chinese forums where R4iSDHC carts are more popular.

I wouldn't be surprised, really. Like I said, these guys manage to stay afloat thanks to aggressive marketing- whereas resellers have to track down stuff like R4i Gold 3DS RTS and SC's DSTWO, the R4iSDHC team contacts them directly, and why'd you order better cards for more when you can get a huge batch for cheap?

It's not like the average customer cares. They just want something 'that works'.

EDIT

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3jgmfc/firmware_expired_on_r4_dual_core_2015/

Last edited by helltoast, Mar 2, 2016
  9. Genm1

Genm1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    R4i SDHC Dual Core

10. helltoast

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    Well, you did say you got it from eBay. I'm gonna take a leap here and say it's a clone.

R4iSDHC clones are common.

11. Kayleea

Kayleea Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2015
    United States
    I would prefer the R4 cards for the bargain prices. Like R4i gold 3ds, r4i dual core and r4i gold pro, they are enough for playing nds games on your 3DS.
    I think the old supercard dstwo is hard to get as the manufacturers may have stopping producing it.
    If you also want to play gba games on your 3ds, you may consider getting a dstwo plus which can be for both nds games and gba games on your 3ds firmware version. So its price is higher than the r4i cards.

12. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    How could they possibly have a self-destruct timer? Yes, they do "expire" but they are based on r4i-sdhc.com's, which also had the firmware expire too, at least at one point according to Google (not sure if they removed in recent updates). Makes me wonder what team originally implemented this.

Last edited by Sleet, Mar 2, 2016
  13. helltoast

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    I have no idea myself, that's why I said rumors. Sounds like an awful lot of work to implement a chip designed to kill the cart after so many ticks. I can't into Chinese and Google translator isn't very helpful. I don't know, maybe it's worth it if they can keep on selling 'upgrades'.

Regardless of its veracity though, R4iSDHC carts are still crap.

14. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    That's wrong. The DSTWO was one of the last DS flashcards that got developed. Yeah, it drains much power on 3DS when beeing in stand by mode but that's the only downside. On the other hand it supports many exclusive features like free cheat, GBA/SNES Emulation, AVI playback (up to 640x420p) etc. I never heard of these power problems on a DSi.

Apart from the reason already mentioned I dislike the R4 SDHC Dual Core because it's menu is cheap and slow as hell and it has serveral settings that impact the game compatibility seriously.

15. epistaxis

epistaxis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Seigaku
    You can apply a simple hex-edit to the R4iSDHC cards loader to boot YSMenu automatically, bypassing any possible time-bombing. There's a thread around here somewhere to do it. I agree though those cards suck, I get some graphical glitches occasionally on them that I don't get on other cards.