What fast food or snack item that has been discontinued do you miss the most?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Subway's $5 Footlong.
This is one I could say I genuinely miss, it really was a good deal for the money spent for lunch, I hate how all their stuff is no longer worth the price tag.
Apparently, they no longer let you pick up your own ingredients either, or so I've heard, I have yet to see that one with my own eyes, because I hope this is just a rumour and not something shitty they really did in order to kill the brand.
I missed those too. :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
McDonalds Pies and Fries. Apparently there are some places in the world where McDonalds still deep fries the apple pies (see pic), but not here. Not for decades. And dropping the current cardboard torpedo they call an apple pie in a deep fryer would not produce the same thing. Can't remember exactly when they stopped, sometime in the 90's.

Then there's the fries. Used to be deep fried in "beef tallow" ... basically melted lard. That stopped in 1992. The resulting flavor deficit was like the difference between a pepperoni pizza and a lump of plain dough.

In Japan, about 10 years ago there was a grape soda on the market called, "Spiral." It was hands down the best grape soda I've ever tasted. Went back in 2015 and couldn't find it anymore.

View attachment 396797
On beef dripping frying things then it is all the rage once again in the UK for fish and chip shops (sometimes to the point of making it hard if I am friends with any filthy vegetarians* and want to get fish and chips). The difference is considerable.

*I would of course never be friends with a vegan.

On crystal pepsi they bring it out every few years it seems.

On fizzy drinks in general the UK (and many other places) did a tax depending upon how much sugar is in your drink so even fully leaded fizzy drinks contain a portion of sweeteners instead (caused much fun for an American visiting that was supposedly allergic to the sweetener in question but was fizzy drink addicted).
My old man stomach means I don't drink the things as a rule and when in the US it was mostly all corn syrup nastiness so that did nothing either (was not close enough to mexico to get some nice cane sugar efforts).
I have also found replacements for some of the things I enjoyed that were hard to get -- the Ka black grape in the import section of Sainsburys I would not be able to tell apart from the ones I used to get off American air force bases in the 90s, and the grapefruit called ting from the same aisle tastes like squirt to me, and for a supermarket job the ginger has a respectable enough burn.
Have also been able to try real root beer before

I am still a bit salty about sherbet pencils having a stupid plastic top (not like pick and mix does not still exist elsewhere) but eh.

My once favourite ice cream reappeared in lidl of all places but may have changed recipes in the last year or so (still investigating that one). Others reading along if you had eisman ice cream in the 90s then yeah.

I don't do what Americans would dub fast food (even as a kid I was seemingly a food snob) and it is expensive as you like around here anyway (cheaper to get better tasting calories from a supermarket if I was feeble enough to need to eat outside the house). On the occasions I have tried it I never had anything I could not trivially beat in less time in my own kitchen, nor have I derived any particular inspiration for cooking something myself.

I don't think cranberry and pumpkin seed brown bread counts as a snack but I do miss that.

Some sweets changed their formulation a bit but I can still get old fashioned sweets from various shops (proper beef gelatine jelly babies are still wonderful).

I never liked I think it was teddy grahams (why would I when cinnamon is there*) but others did. However was doing a poor man's cheesecake base (bash up some cereal, mix with butter, best if you do blind bake it) and it tasted exactly like it despite the main cereal not really being like it.

*I thought various cinnamon sweets no longer existed when I was in the US late last year/earlier this year but found the three main types (imperials aka tiny little pips, the circular ones and the lozenge variety) I care about after a fair bit of looking, though one was a passing fad in a dollar tree.

Everything else is maybe just a bit seasonal, which given how addictive chocolate covered brazil nuts are is probably for the best.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Los Chitos:
1696469779991.jpeg

A local ripoff of the Cheetos (in Spanish chitos sound exactly like cheetos on English)

And the Quipitos:
1696469935973.jpeg

basically are sweetened powder milk and powder condensed milk., Today exists but was replaced by tartaric acid that one which "explodes" on your mouth making pop sounds with the saliva.

now what I am writing this, comes to my memory the "Beso de negra" (black woman kiss and later a euphemism for kiss on the ass or salad tossing) that desert was basically a prepacked s'more without the upper cracker they still sell it but for political correctness the name was changed and now is no cover on dark chocolate.

1696470166125.png

• Wow
Reactions: AncientBoi

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I remember these! When I was very little, the packaging had this 'explosion' like quality to the art and somewhere on the box/bag it mentioned something about being "poppable!" (you can 'pop'/toss them in your mouth) and to my stupid little baby brain, it connected those two aspects into "put them in the microwave and they pop like popcorn!" .... so I did lol...

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The Subway's $5 Footlong.
This is one I could say I genuinely miss, it really was a good deal for the money spent for lunch, I hate how all their stuff is no longer worth the pricetag.
Apparently, they no longer let you pick up your own ingredients either, or so I've heard, I have yet to see that one with my own eyes, because I hope this is just a rumour and not something shitty they really did in order to kill the brand.
and now what subways is become part of the big corporation you will miss even the normal subs.

• Sad
Reactions: VinsCool

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So we had these for years in Holland but suddenly they stopped selling them.
1696583951991.png

What's annoying is: they are still being sold in Belgium and France, even the packaging still has Dutch words..
So whenever we are in the neighborhood we buy a couple(or more) of packages.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't eaten fast food in quite some time, but the last time I did it was my favorite - the Dairy Queen "Flamethrower" Burger.

Turns out they changed the burger from whatever it was before to a breakfast-sausage tasting patty - the "stack burger." They're super salty, kinda dry, and spongy. Needless to say, it's no longer my favorite fast food meal : (

Which I guess is a good thing. It's been well over a year since I've had fast food in general, and I don't really miss any of it - save the original Flamethrower Burger :/

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
these used to be a thing in canada in the early 2000's, haven't seen them in a good 20 years, used to get them all the time when i lived in quebec (province)

chubby-extreme-snacks.png

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?