Hacking What exactly do I need to install to get USB loader to run?

Edster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To begin, I have a WiiKey installed and it's been working fine up until NSMB. I have decided to take the plunge and install HBC and try to get a USB loader to work. I have HBC installed and working, I have Bootmii installed in Boot2 and all is fine. I have backed up my Nand so I feel save now.

My question after reading so many articles is... What do I need to install to have games like NSMB working on USB. Since I have HBC installed I assume I need to restore Trucha Bug which I can do from the HBC menu. I have not done this yet. Then I assume I install a USB loader (Neogamma seems to be the choice).

Since i have a modchip, do I need to bother installing anything else? I see tons of apps etc. What should I be looking at?

Also, for Wads. I was going to load some VC games. Are these installed on the SD Card? Is there a limit to how many can be installed. I know Wadmanager is used to installer/inject them.

Hopefully I am not asking too many questions. I've gotten pretty far on my own but I find some of this stuff just a bit confusing.

What about updates on the disc. Do I need to Brickblock them and how does one copy the games to USB? I assume you cannot connect the drive to a PC once it's formatted.

Thanks for any help.
cool.gif

TheNewbPleaser

Trophies
XP
Country
all u need is trucha bug restored, and a cIOS all u need is WBFS manager to get the games into the drive must be formatter WBFS or fat32 and the loader i recomend to you is WIIflow 1.1

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edster said:
To begin, I have a WiiKey installed and it's been working fine up until NSMB. I have decided to take the plunge and install HBC and try to get a USB loader to work. I have HBC installed and working, I have Bootmii installed in Boot2 and all is fine. I have backed up my Nand so I feel save now.

My question after reading so many articles is... What do I need to install to have games like NSMB working on USB. Since I have HBC installed I assume I need to restore Trucha Bug which I can do from the HBC menu. I have not done this yet. Then I assume I install a USB loader (Neogamma seems to be the choice).Use Xzxero guide that is at the top of the board.All you need to do from it is the trucha bug restorer and cios install

Since i have a modchip, do I need to bother installing anything else? I see tons of apps etc. What should I be looking at?

Also, for Wads. I was going to load some VC games. Are these installed on the SD Card? Is there a limit to how many can be installed. I know Wadmanager is used to installer/inject them.The wads are stored on the sd card and you use wad manager to install them to the wii.If you are on system menu 4.0 or above you can move them to a sd card if you want after installing them to the wii first.If you plan on playing them from the sd card you will need the ios that the system menu runs off of to be patched.Check xzxeros guide for info on this as well.The wii only has an internal memory of 512MB once its full you can't install anymore.News,weather and other channels use this space as well as game saves and any virtual console or wii ware games that are installed to the wii.

Hopefully I am not asking too many questions. I've gotten pretty far on my own but I find some of this stuff just a bit confusing.

What about updates on the disc. Do I need to Brickblock them and how does one copy the games to USB? I assume you cannot connect the drive to a PC once it's formatted.You could use pre/priiloader and use the hacks.ini file that comes with it to disable disc updates or you could use startpatch but i believe it's only for 4.2 right now.You can still connect the drive to the pc even after its formatted to wbfs but windows will not recognize it as a drive and will ask you to format it every time you hook it up.You would use wbfs manager 3.0 or wiibackupmanager to load games from the pc to the drive.

Thanks for any help.
cool.gif

Edster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
Edster said:

My question after reading so many articles is... What do I need to install to have games like NSMB working on USB. Since I have HBC installed I assume I need to restore Trucha Bug which I can do from the HBC menu. I have not done this yet. Then I assume I install a USB loader (Neogamma seems to be the choice).Use Xzxero guide that is at the top of the board.All you need to do from it is the trucha bug restorer and cios install

Also, for Wads. I was going to load some VC games. Are these installed on the SD Card? Is there a limit to how many can be installed. I know Wadmanager is used to installer/inject them.The wads are stored on the sd card and you use wad manager to install them to the wii.If you are on system menu 4.0 or above you can move them to a sd card if you want after installing them to the wii first.If you plan on playing them from the sd card you will need the ios that the system menu runs off of to be patched.Check xzxeros guide for info on this as well.The wii only has an internal memory of 512MB once its full you can't install anymore.News,weather and other channels use this space as well as game saves and any virtual console or wii ware games that are installed to the wii.

What about updates on the disc. Do I need to Brickblock them and how does one copy the games to USB? I assume you cannot connect the drive to a PC once it's formatted.You could use pre/priiloader and use the hacks.ini file that comes with it to disable disc updates or you could use startpatch but i believe it's only for 4.2 right now.You can still connect the drive to the pc even after its formatted to wbfs but windows will not recognize it as a drive and will ask you to format it every time you hook it up.You would use wbfs manager 3.0 or wiibackupmanager to load games from the pc to the drive.

Thanks for any help.
cool.gif

Awesome thanks.

I Restored Trucha all went fine. The last thing on the list is CIOS & Patching the System Menu IOS
Do I need to patch all the CIOS listed (I have a modchip)
ie: CIOS202/222/223/249/250/270 as mentioned in the guide.

I don't exactly understand was a CIOS is. I won't mess with it if I don't have to.

Thanks. (almost there)
grog.gif

Edster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
they allow your wii to read backups

But if I have a hard mod, do I need to install more that just Hermes, assuming I can play backups without having to softmod?

I just realized that I did not do the NTSC Update which says to open IOS36 and install 36 different IOS files & Shopping Channel. Shoudl I go back and do all this? DOH!

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes you should
modchip should only need the latest IOS files to play backups
Those 36 IOS's are what you need.

Site & Scene News