• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

What does 'stonk' mean?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay... Total stock trade noob here. More so: I don't intend to improve much (at least not to the point where I'm not gambling on whatever it is that makes prices rise or fall). But I do have a keen interest on the topic, often reading books by e.g. Stiglitz or Lewis (okay, and the freakonomics guys, if you count those).

I have, however, never heard of the word 'stonks' before the last couple of days.
From what I can Google, it's a meme-spoof on the word stock
(source : https://slate.com/business/2021/01/stonks-not-stocks-got-it.html). But while that source is informative, it doesn't really say WHY the word is becoming common good right now.

Hence this question : what did the word mean to you? Why do you use it?

Last edited by Taleweaver, , Reason: common God? Some spelling error there (should have been 'good') :P

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
If you are searching for the origin, you need to search for the Memer man meme. Memer Man is a failed 3D rendition of a human head. The meme is basically the head with a poorly spelled word and the word kinda contradict the shown picture. For example, you could make a meme of a obese person who is eating a comically large pizza and drinks diet coke. Put a image of Memer man under it with the caption "Helth" and you have a meme.

Someone made a version of Memer man with stock prices in the background, a graph pointing up and the word "stonks", a misspelled version of stocks. Since then, the word stonks is synonym for when you obtain sudden riches IRL or in the Internet.

Found a coin? Stonks.
Got a voucher for your purchase? Stonks.
Crash a hedge fund by having diamond hands and profiting from it? You guesst it, that's stonks.

Last edited by Essometer,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Stonks is an intentional misspelling of the word "stocks" which is often associated with a surreal meme featuring the character Meme Man standing in front of a picture representing the stock market followed by the caption "Stonks." The picture began seeing use as a reaction image online in jokes about making poor financial decisions, or just for the sake of it, and so "Stonks" and its context related variants are now everywhere, because why not, right?

2f0.png

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Stonks is an intentional misspelling of the word "stocks" which is often associated with a surreal meme featuring the character Meme Man standing in front of a picture representing the stock market followed by the caption "Stonks." The picture began seeing use as a reaction image online in jokes about making poor financial decisions, or just for the sake of it, and so "Stonks" and its context related variants are now everywhere, because why not, right?

View attachment 244379
Stonks is possibly my favourite meme of all time

Reactions: VinsCool

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

View attachment 244379
I always thought it came from the Scottish word for a drain. In the North of Scotland a drain is called a stonk and in other parts of Scotland a drain is called a stank.

When Scottish people piss their money away by buying unneeded shit or they make a poor investments ect we say they are throwing their money down the stonk or stank.

There probably is no connection to what we call drains here but it certainly still works when numerous people are throwing their money at stocks and watching their money go down the stonk :rofl2:

Reactions: Ryccardo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay... Total stock trade noob here. More so: I don't intend to improve much (at least not to the point where I'm not gambling on whatever it is that makes prices rise or fall). But I do have a keen interest on the topic, often reading books by e.g. Stiglitz or Lewis (okay, and the freakonomics guys, if you count those).

I have, however, never heard of the word 'stonks' before the last couple of days.
From what I can Google, it's a meme-spoof on the word stock
(source : https://slate.com/business/2021/01/stonks-not-stocks-got-it.html). But while that source is informative, it doesn't really say WHY the word is becoming common good right now.

Hence this question : what did the word mean to you? Why do you use it?
Well, this whole thing is a huge meme, so it's only fitting.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea my monitors are definitely more than 3.9 feet away from my pc tower. But not like I'm gonna...