What does BootMii protect me against?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rendez2k, Sep 30, 2009.

Sep 30, 2009
  1. rendez2k
    OP

Newcomer rendez2k Member

United Kingdom
    I finally got my Wii working well with my backups all working last night on 4.1 after days of fighting with it. However, I'm not looking at installing cIOSCORP 3.4 and possibly PreLoader. If I backup my Wii in its current state with BootMii, what exactly gets backed up and what will it save me from? Does it in effect freeze the Wii at this moment in time? If I install 4.2 say and it messes everything up, could BootMii just restore it to a perfectly working 4.1?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Bootmii as an IOS; very little, if anything.

Bootmii as boot2: when your wii boots it boots various things before you hit the system menu* and equally as important before you load IOS modules.
    Boot2 is the first major one which is what bootmii tweaks. What gets backed up is the NAND image (system menu, IOS, VC, wiiware....) which saves you from just about everything other than you messing with the boot2 and hardware failure.

*the system menu is not the best piece of code when it comes to error handling hence people using preloader (which loads instead of the system menu giving you the option to run code from that first off) and bootmii (as far as fixing the wii same idea as preloader but even more low level).

To the best of my knowledge 4.2 replaces the bootmii boot2 with the Nintendo boot2v4 thus eliminating any recovery options as you no longer have bootmii installed (whether you will be able to revert or not I am unsure). Before 4.2 though it would do as you said and restore it.

3. rendez2k
    OP

Newcomer rendez2k Member

United Kingdom
    OK bare with me as I'm new! How do I check its installed as boot2? I'm 99% sure it is. The menu only comes up when I have the SD card in though?

I gather from your reply then that as long as its installed as boot2, it will protect me from say any cIOSCORP v3.4 problems? Also, is there any need to actually install PreLoader? I understand its another backup system so do I need this and BootMii?

4. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    preloader is not a backup homebrew,it provides system hacks,and if you install a bad .wad file(bannerbrick?)you can go to homebrew channel directly(thats what you probably mean)so it provides some brick protection,yes you have bootmii as boot2,i don't know about your cioscorp thing,rather not install cioscorp my friend

5. rendez2k
    OP

Newcomer rendez2k Member

United Kingdom
    OK, so PreLoader is recommended but cIOSCORP isn't? I was just trying to make backup games easy for my wife to play!

6. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Preloader has a IOS249 reload option. I'm not certain on this, but I think it enables you to boot backups off the disc channel without cIOSCORP [​IMG]

However, for my little brother, I just used an autoboot force PAL Wii Backup Launcher 0.3 channel. It's easy to use, as the game autoboots when you start it, and it supports GameCube games with cMIOS. [​IMG]

7. Ssseth

Member Ssseth GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So which is recommended? I currently have Preloader, but not Bootmii. I still don't quit get the difference between the two. I'm more interested in a backup to help avoid bricking my Wii (or installing updates that block homebrew for example) more than anything else. I don't plan on wrecking anything but I like the peace of mind of having a fail safe.

8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I have both Preloader and Bootmii. I made a back-up a couple of weeks ago, just in case.
    I recommend you do the same, install both Preloader and Bootmii, and take a back-up of your Wii with Bootmii.
    Then you are completely on the safe side (firmware 4.2 is another story though)....

9. rendez2k
    OP

Newcomer rendez2k Member

United Kingdom
    So with my BootMii backup (and possibly PreLoader) I can give cIOSCORP v3.4 and if I don't like it or it screws up, I can just jump back to my backup and erase all traces of it?

10. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Yup, that's it [​IMG]

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I wouldn't anyway. With BootMii, you can access the HBC just as easily as you would the Wii menu, not to mention there's forwarder channels if you want to access NeoGamma from the Wii menu. And NeoGamma is pretty much better and requires less modding.