What Do You Expect from Nintendo's Wii U GameCube Adapter?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiCube_2013, Jun 7, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    [​IMG]

For me:
    1. Compatible with all Wii U games that also list "Classic Controller"
    2. Compatible on Wii Mode games that are controller-based.
    I guess since this is specifically made for Super Smash Bros. 4 then it's highly likely that it could very well work with the other Wii U games, but I wonder about Wii games.

I've been wanting Nintendo to create a better controller than the Wii U Pro Controller and while this isn't exactly what I wanted, it's still awesome 'cause NGC's one of my favourite controller's ever!

JuanLeOnardO likes this.
  2. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    I highly doubt it'll work with Wii games. At best, I hope it's supported by several other Wii U games.

3. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    I bet it will emulate a Wii U Pro controller. It should be easy enough for Nintendo to wire (hell Mayflash already pulled it off) and it'll offer support for a bunch of Wii U games without any extra coding.

4. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    When I saw the "Wii U" logo atop the adapter, my thoughts were the same. I'm not sure that GameCube controllers connected to the adapter will mimic a Wii U Pro controller, since GameCube controllers have analog triggers. Maybe it can make GameCube controllers appear as Classic Controllers (the original had analog triggers), though I wish it'd read them as GameCube controllers (requiring support on the Wii U side) to enable compatibility with Wii games and possibly peripherals that were left out due to relying on the GameCube controller port (e.g. DanceDanceRevolution dance mats or the Cyberbike).

5. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Well, even when the Game Pad isn't being used, it's always on (disregarding vWii). I think Smash Bros., vWii and GameCube VC will be the only thing to become of the GameCube controller ports. For all else, there's always the Pro Controller and the Game Pad which has the same control scheme.

6. p3rand0r

p3rand0r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2014
    Albania
    On the ⌨
    Just to work with Nintendont ! It would be nice , so lets all hope :P

7. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    I'm expecting that it will be made compatible with Mario Kart 8 and any possibly New Super Mario Bros U if they make more DLC for that.

filfat likes this.
  8. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I expect anarchy...pure anarchy!

9. jeremy1988

jeremy1988 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2014
    United States
    I'm mostly hoping that it will work in Wii mode, so that I can play all the Wii games that allowed the Gamecube controller as an option. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Muramasa, Arc Rise Fantasia, etc.

I do wonder if Nintendo will allow new games to be made that support the GCN controller via the adapter, or if this is a one-off thing.

10. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    I expect Nintendo to implement a security device that shocks anyone who touches my controller OR at the very least allow fingerprint recognition.

Seriously that crap started wars when I was younger(whos controller was whos).

11. JuanLeOnardO

JuanLeOnardO Experienced.

Mar 29, 2014
    Mexico
    I LOVED YOUR IDEA!!!! REALLY!!!!

12. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    I expect a vWii update that makes all GC port related input read/use the adapter instead.

Yeah, I'd prefer it be read as a GC controller than a CC if it'd be made to work on Wii software. It would be less compatible but generally less confusing, not to mention it's missing a few CC specific buttons.

13. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    An SDK update is all that is needed to make the adapter a moot point in extra coding. It'd be odd not to add it, especially if the controller is mapped properly by default (similar to pro controller)

14. megaexplosion

megaexplosion Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2014
    United States
    California
    Hopefully Nintendont compatibility will be possible and eventually released.
    Would also be super rad if Ninty came out with GC VC... I'm sure the Wii U can handle that... right?

GC controller compatibility with other Wii U games would be super awesome... but I doubt that'll happen since that would be Nintendo leaving it's own Wii U Pro controller in the dark for a controller of an outdated system.

15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'd expect it to work with just 1 USB cord if you're using just 1 or 2 controllers. I also expect that if they're going to sell gamecube controllers again, that that picture is photoshopped. Because there's no way anyone is going to buy that thing if the total cable length is about 20 cm.

For anything else...I unfortunately expect nintendo to cock things up like they do with previous controllers (it took until devolution before we were able to play gamecube games with wiimote + classic controller...I don't expect them to have learned much now). I said it before that this thing is just 2 mayflash GC controllers glued together and I'll stick by it. Besides...it's not like the DEVICE will have any of those features. That thing just relays the input to your wiiu. It's the wiiu firmware that actually has to figure out what to make of those incoming signals.

16. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I am pretty sure I saw a blog where they took a family wii and modified the hardware by adding all the controller ports and memory card slots and the disc drive to accept gamecube discs and it just worked.

So maybe vWii already has the software hooks built in to run gamecube stuff (and hence VC and other gamecube controller support) if the hardware is there.

One can at least hope.

17. HNKii

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mario Kart Wii-DS Link Play Stadium
    Wii and GC have very similar hardware AFAIK.

18. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Nintendon't compatibility is a must.

No one has mentioned that Nintendo could also release Gamecube titles on the virtual console and not have to change/mess up control schemes like in wind waker.

I think I read somewhere that it was already going to work as a "classic controller pro" on titles that were released before the adapter.

19. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Nintendo is sitting on a gold mine and if they release the 64/GC/GBA/DS games which the gamers want not only will they be profitable but also the customers will be very happy.

Please give me Mario Sunshine already! But.. I'd need to play with a GameCube controller because it wouldn't work properly with a Wii U GamePad or Wii U Pro Controller. So I'd guess they're holding it back until they release the Wii U GameCube controller then they let it roll out.

20. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth

Agreed, give us Super Mario Sunshine either VC/HD remake or GTFO.
    I expect to get gamecube games in the eshop to also make use of this controller as it has analog triggers which work well with some GC games.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.