gamechanger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi!

I read quite a lot on this page and I love it!
But there are stil some open questions you may can may help me with :)

I have a New 3DS XL and want to:
a) Play GB, GBA, NES and SNES Games - if possible with the possibility for RTS (Real Time Save) to finsh the games of my childhood ;)
b) Play Nintendo DS Games - if possible with the possibility for RTS (Real Time Save)
c) Play 3DS Games

As fare as I understand it works like this:

For a) and c) I need a CFW.
In order to be able to install a CFW I need either to use ntrboot or seedminder.
For both I best follow the instructions on 3ds.hacks.guide
As I understand seedminder ist the newest thing, its complete free and I need nothing else to do ist.
ntrboot needs a specific game or a flashkart oder something.
So seedminer is the way to go! Or are there any downsides?
After that I can install a CFW. If I get it right Luma3DS should be noob proof.
Is there any reason to get a different CFW if all I wanna do is playing?
When I have a CFW, I need to install different apps like snes9x for SNES games to be able to play.
Every console needs its one app. There is not an ONE4ALL. Is this correct?
For 3DS Games I need the Files and install them on the 3DS or via a PC directly on the SD-card.

For b)
To Play DS Games I need a flashkart in any way. Is this correct?
So if I get a flashkart, are there any pros of going with ntrboot after all?

In this board the R4i Gold 3DS Plus is recommended over the R4isdhc GOLD Pro 2019.
Both seem to do the same thing (including RTS). The only difference I can find is the switch.
As I will do ntrboot only a single time... Is it worth it? Or are there other reasons for the recommendation?

I feel quite dumb having so many questions after reading here for some time... anyway would be nice if anyone can answer them. Thanks!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

I read quite a lot on this page and I love it!
But there are stil some open questions you may can may help me with :)

I have a New 3DS XL and want to:
a) Play GB, GBA, NES and SNES Games - if possible with the possibility for RTS (Real Time Save) to finsh the games of my childhood ;)
b) Play Nintendo DS Games - if possible with the possibility for RTS (Real Time Save)
c) Play 3DS Games

As fare as I understand it works like this:

For a) and c) I need a CFW.
In order to be able to install a CFW I need either to use ntrboot or seedminder.
For both I best follow the instructions on 3ds.hacks.guide
As I understand seedminder ist the newest thing, its complete free and I need nothing else to do ist.
ntrboot needs a specific game or a flashkart oder something.
So seedminer is the way to go! Or are there any downsides?
After that I can install a CFW. If I get it right Luma3DS should be noob proof.
Is there any reason to get a different CFW if all I wanna do is playing?
When I have a CFW, I need to install different apps like snes9x for SNES games to be able to play.
Every console needs its one app. There is not an ONE4ALL. Is this correct?
For 3DS Games I need the Files and install them on the 3DS or via a PC directly on the SD-card.

For b)
To Play DS Games I need a flashkart in any way. Is this correct?
So if I get a flashkart, are there any pros of going with ntrboot after all?

In this board the R4i Gold 3DS Plus is recommended over the R4isdhc GOLD Pro 2019.
Both seem to do the same thing (including RTS). The only difference I can find is the switch.
As I will do ntrboot only a single time... Is it worth it? Or are there other reasons for the recommendation?

I feel quite dumb having so many questions after reading here for some time... anyway would be nice if anyone can answer them. Thanks!
https://3ds.hacks.guide/

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For GB, GBA, NES and SNES games you can find .cia files on that iso site and download them on your 3DS via FBI.
For DS games, like am714 said, you can use TWiLightMenu++.

gamechanger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
For GB, GBA, NES and SNES games you can find .cia files on that iso site and download them on your 3DS via FBI.
For DS games, like am714 said, you can use TWiLightMenu++.
Ok, So when I use the .cia files instead of .gb .nes ,... I dont need to install any App and can play them directly?

So to get it straight: I dont need a flashkart after all?

I can get to Custom Firmware with "nothing" using the seedminer method, and after that I can donwload the .ciy files plus using TWiLightMenu++ and I can do all I want (playing games)?

gamechanger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I was going to say to install .cia emulators as it's easier to "obtain legit game cartridge dump" and play them straight away instead of converting to cia everytime
Wow, to much new cool things to process.

So I dont need to search for .cia Files nor I need to inject the games on the PC.
With a .cia Emulator I can play for eample .gb games I put on the sd card?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All good. Asking questions is the opposite of being dumb.
  • Besides the internal switch: Cheap flashcarts often come with a time bomb (refuse working after a certain date).
  • You technically do not need a flashcart for DS games anymore since TWiLight Menu++ is extremely good (but still missing RTS as far as I know).
  • I would recommend single emulators for retro games (S)NES, GB(C). “ONE4ALL” would be Retroarch. I never used it on the 3DS and have read about various problems. SNES9x, VirtuaNES and mGBA are quite good on the 3DS. For GBA games not emulating them by using Virtual Console injection is near perfect (as it runs directly on hardware like on a GBA it lacks RTS).
  • Don’t install too many CIAs (overall 300 title limit). If you exceed the limit not all games will be shown on the Home Menu: [3DSBank]
  • Normally you install CIA files right on the 3DS with FBI – Brand new: custom-install for use on the PC (could be helpful when installing many large 3DS games to save time).
Good luck and have fun!

gamechanger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yep basically what you said

great!

All good. Asking questions is the opposite of being dumb.
  • Besides the internal switch: Cheap flashcarts often come with a time bomb (refuse working after a certain date).
  • You technically do not need a flashcart for DS games anymore since TWiLight Menu++ is extremely good (but still missing RTS as far as I know).
  • I would recommend single emulators for retro games (S)NES, GB(C). “ONE4ALL” would be Retroarch. I never used it on the 3DS and have read about various problems. SNES9x, VirtuaNES and mGBA are quite good on the 3DS. For GBA games not emulating them by using Virtual Console injection is near perfect (as it runs directly on hardware like on a GBA it lacks RTS).
  • Don’t install too many CIAs (overall 300 title limit). If you exceed the limit not all games will be shown on the Home Menu: 3DSBank
  • Normally you install CIA files right on the 3DS with FBI – Brand new: custom-install for use on the PC (could be helpful when installing many large 3DS games to save time).
Good luck and have fun!

Then 2 more questions ;-)

@timebom.b: If I dont care about the date on the 3DS at all this doesent matter, as the card does not check time online but only the date of the 3ds correct? (Because of RTS I still think about a cheap one).

@ SNES9X, VirtuaNES an mGBA: So they are examples for ".cia Emulators" where I can put my .gb and . Files on the sd-card and then just play while having RTS? Or do I need the .cia Files for them?

Last edited by gamechanger,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
great!

Then 2 more questions ;-)

@timebom.b: If I dont care about the date on the 3DS at all this doesent matter, as the card does not check time online but only the date of the 3ds correct? (Because of RTS I still think about a cheap one).

@ SNES9X, VirtuaNES an mGBA: So they are examples for ".cia Emulators" where I can put my .gb and . Files on the sd-card and then just play while having RTS? Or do I need the .cia Files for them?
Yes, these emulators are examples for loading normal ROM files from the SD (not injecting each retro title in a CIA). You can install the emulators (each emulator one .CIA file) or use them from the Homebrew Launcher (each emulator one .3dsx file) or both. Whatever you like the best.

I'm not an expert for flashcarts. This topic is so confusing as there are so many different manufacturers making carts with some R4 name.
The R4i Gold 3DS Plus (r4ids.cn) is often recommended because of how easy it is to switch between ntrboot/DS-game mode, it uses the Wood kernel (without time bomb) and has very good ROM compatibility. I can't tell you what flaws (if any) cheaper flashcarts have. What I've seen more than once with the flashcarts from r4isdhc.com was trouble to get them finding the kernel (software) on the SD showing only "Menu?"
If you can afford it you will get a very good cart with the R4i Gold 3DS Plus. The choice is up to you. Of course there is no online check for the date. Entering a wrong (earlier) date bypasses the time bomb. The current 4.0 kernel version has the time limit at some point in the year 2024.

James_

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it helps you, here's a list of consoles that can be emulated on the 3DS

• Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom (Famicom Disk System can also be emulated)
• Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom
• Sega Genesis / Mega Drive
• Sega CD and Sega 32X
• Sega Master System / Mark III
• Sony Playstation 1
• TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine
• Atari 2600 (and other Atari consoles)
• Game Boy
• Game Boy Color
• Game Boy Advance
• Sega Game Gear
• SNK Neo-Geo
• SNK Neo-Geo Pocket
• Atari Lynx
• Nintendo Virtual Boy
• Commodore 64
• Vectrex
• Uzebox
• Pokémon Mini

And quite a few other ones that I probably forgot.

Last edited by James_,

gamechanger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes, these emulators are examples for loading normal ROM files from the SD (not injecting each retro title in a CIA). You can install the emulators (each emulator one .CIA file) or use them from the Homebrew Launcher (each emulator one .3dsx file) or both. Whatever you like the best.

I'm not an expert for flashcarts.

Thanks, answers everything just fine!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If it helps you, here's a list of consoles that can be emulated on the 3DS

• Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom (Famicom Disk System can also be emulated) => VirtuaNES
• Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom => SNES9X
• Sega Genesis / Mega Drive
• Sega CD and Sega 32X
• Sega Master System / Mark III
• Sony Playstation 1
• TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine
• Atari 2600 (and other Atari consoles)
• Game Boy => mGBA
• Game Boy Color => mGBA
• Game Boy Advance => mGBA
• Sega Game Gear
• SNK Neo-Geo
• SNK Neo-Geo Pocket
• Atari Lynx
• Nintendo Virtual Boy
• Commodore 64
• Vectrex
• Uzebox
• Pokémon Mini

And quite a few other ones that I probably forgot.

Great List!
I allready have recommendations for the systems I asked for. I put them in the List. You may have some recommendations for the other systems? Especially for SEGA?

Reactions: Alexander1970

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

James_

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...