What chip should i get?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by misticknight, Apr 5, 2009.

Apr 5, 2009

What chip should i get? by misticknight at 2:22 AM (806 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. misticknight
    OP

Member misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Well i'm more than likely sending my Wii off to nintendo which means when i get it back no more hacks for me, not till someone finds another exploit anyways. Since i have like 20 copies games, 2 of them i was playing alot before i bricked my wii like a fool, i want to get a chip so i can still play them. I'm leaning toward Wiikey but i'm not sure if thats still one of the best.

2. ruel

Newcomer ruel Member

Canada
    I ordered the pre-soldered wiikey 2 from modchipcentral.com

It's worked perfectly so far. You can even set it to block wii updates. I'd definitely recommend it.

3. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    id still need to open up my Wii and do it myself with the presoldered one though right? also is the only difference between Wiikey and Wiikey 2 that Wiikey works on all Wii Consoles or is there things it can do the first one cant?

4. misticknight
    OP

Australia
  5. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    wiikey V1 is no longer maintained and requires soldering on your part.

Wiikey V2 (and almost ALL newer mods) have the ability to have a no-solder option. That said, if you had a newer wii (either no exposed drive chip or an epoxyed chip) you will have a heck of a time to get it installed if you have no experience prior to such things.

In which case, I suggest you get the drivekey. The benefits are that it works on absolutely every wii no exception and requires absolutely no soldering since you're just placing it on the drive cable.

The downside though is that drivekey is limited to playing backups at 3x speed (same as soft mod). So if you never had a problem playing with softmod speeds, you won't have any problems with it either... but if the slow read speeds bothered you, you'd be better off with a more traditional chip.

Of the different brands of modchips, I've heard the best with Wasabi and and Wiikey V2 but I honestly have no first hand experience with either.

6. misticknight
    OP

Australia
    thanks for that answer, i think i'l go for the Wiikey V2 but get someone to do it, if i can still do it i dont know what Wii nintendo will send back.

7. maduin

Member maduin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a wiikey v1 and it's worked great for me, I bought it as a solderless version, modsupplier sells them for super cheap, around 40 bucks, and they're already soldered onto the wii-clip, so all you have to do is press the chip onto your wii's drive chip

http://www.modsupplier.com/catalog/solderl...ikey-p-254.html