Hacking What can I do with a Custom Firmware PS3?

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Hello all. I've just ordered a PS3 which I'm planning on downgrading to 3.55 by using a service in order to install a CF (It's a model CECH-2001A). I already plan on playing the translated Tales of Vesperia on it, but so long as I'll have a cracked PS3, I'd like to know about all the things that are currently possible with it and all the utilities I need to perform them.

For example, is there a cheat implementation system? Is there a tool to view a game's memory as it runs? (I highly doubt it, but I'd still love it.) What utilities do I need to be able to dump files from a physical game disk as well as run those backups from the HDD?

Additionally, I was planning on installing the latest version of REBUG, but I don't understand much about the different firmware versions. Which will give me the most flexibility?

Thanks for any information.

Meteor7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I went ahead and downloaded multiMAN 4.66 to handle running backups, but just as I was typing this very message, my computer decided to bluescreen. Whoopsie-diddles. Seems like a virus, perhaps. Good thing I decided to use an old, janky, resurrected computer to download utilities just in case this very thing would happen. I'll be a little surprised if it turns out I indeed caught a virus, as I made sure to use the link Dean himself provided in a forum post on psxscene. I'm doing a little safe-mode diagnosis right now, but I'll report back if things turn ugly.

On the original topic, is multiMAN even the right tool for dumping and loading games? Is there a specific CFW I need to run this version?

Meteor7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update: it seems like it was not a virus. My janky computer is just janky... most likely. In any case, it seems like a version 4.70.02 has been released for multiMAN, so the version I downloaded is outdated after all. By the by, it seems like the version of multiMAN you use needs to match your CFW version. I think. Again, my telling you tips is like the blind leading the...nobody...

I'll likely be popping back in later with more updates.

EDIT: Also, yeah; it seems like multiMAN is the best thing for dumping and running backups, as well as doing a bunch of other stuff.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MultiMan is the best for running back ups and emulators - you can store covers and it looks pretty.

I don't play much anymore but I use Cobra enabled firmwares to play games, its very simple and you don't have to load up MultiMan every time. Not a big deal but I much prefer Cobra over non-Cobra any day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0