Gaming What are you playing on your GBA?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Payback.

It's amazing to see what the GBA is capable of.
Really couldn't see what people liked about that game, yeah it had an impressive engine but it was fairly shallow, even GTA Advance was at least some fun. Different strokes I guess.

Played "A Sound of Thunder" for the first time in ages yesterday. Based on a shit film that was actually made like two years later (just like Ecks Vs Sever) and is a pretty good if flawed isometric action game. Driving sections ruined it for me, but I liked the surivial horror style gameplay.

Soulshine

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
It would be FFTA. I like this game better than A2, because A2 has many repetitions of magic effect sprites; it's so disappointing because this is a DS game, it should have more to it. Oh, well...

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Thordrian said:
Really couldn't see what people liked about that game, yeah it had an impressive engine but it was fairly shallow, even GTA Advance was at least some fun. Different strokes I guess.
Probably. I'm not sure what you mean by "shallow", sure, it doesn't have a story at all and the missions are kind of samey but it has tons of details and it's a great fun to just rampage around the city. And there's multiplayer. I can't help but be amazed at what they've managed to cram into 8 MB.

Okay, you may find GTA's storyline makes it more immersive, but I like (or even prefer) the sandbox aspect of the game, and see the "missions" as sort of challenges I can throw myself at when I run out of ideas, not as the main or even integral part of the game. That approach managed to drive me through most of GTA 3
wink.gif

I find a storyline is entirely divorced from the gameplay in certain types of games. A story is just a way to connect any missions/levels you can devise within the game engine into a semi-coherent whole, but while the story may (or may not) be good, and the gameplay may (or may not) be good, they don't really blend in. In certain types of games. Take Professor Layton, for example. You have a ton of puzzles to solve. You have a great story with fantastic animations that's there to put the puzzles in context. And they're entirely unrelated. When you're solving a puzzle, are you thinking "gosh, I'd better solve the puzzle quick so I could catch the shady figure who locked me in the cellar"? No. You're thinking "I have seven matches and one pebble, now if I take three matches and then two more matches..." The story and the gameplay are completely apart.

To me, GTA (and clones) is pretty much the same. You have missions, you complete them, you get more missions. You move to another area, you get new missions. Sure, there's a story in there somewhere but there may as well not be.

Or did you mean something else entirely?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most recent game I played on my 3-in-1 was Superstar Saga, since I thought Bowser's Inside Story was just excellent.

Other than that, Pokemon Shiny Gold (a FireRed hack) and Pokemon Topaz (a Ruby hack). They're probably the best GBA Pokemon hacks avaliable. I'm not even a big fan of Fakemon games but Topaz did it so well that I found it enjoyable.

I've been too busy with HeartGold to really get back to them though.

lord0fshred

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I started a new file in Golden Sun recently. Also working on FF I&II Dawn of Souls. And Super Mario 2, 3, and 4....and also Lttp and Minish Cap.

Im still quite fond of my GB Micro C:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1