What are we supposed to do

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by MegamanDSi, Feb 22, 2011.

Feb 22, 2011

What are we supposed to do by MegamanDSi at 11:54 PM (1,184 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. MegamanDSi
    OP

Newcomer MegamanDSi Member

Canada
    Whats gonna happen now that we got the common key for the DSi
    are they gonna make a HBC or a Homebrew Loader with an .NDS loader meaning like the Prometheus ISO loader like yeah what gonna happen.

I hope they make an exploit with the free softwares and stuff

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It has been covered elsewhere* but the common key does very little for hacking as it stands- it enables further work on the system as we can now decrypt things.
    Some people are attempting to find new exploits but that is about it http://dsibrew.org/wiki/DSiWare_VulnList

All this being said the hackers most likely to generate new exploits had it for a while by all accounts so the only people really to benefit from it are those that rip sprites and the like from games.

*I am too lazy to go link hunting right now so the common key allows decryption of code- encrypting it needs other keys. It was only useful as useful as it was on the wii as Nintendo had hosed up other parts of the security- http://debugmo.de/2008/03/thank-you-datel/
    The PSP "common keys" by which I assume you mean firmware specific keys were needed to start poking around the firmwares of the time- you could hack the old ones all you liked but Sony switched up and used new keys (after verifying the new keys as they were in turn signed by even higher (lower?- more important either way) level keys). Granted with the leaking of the kirk keys thanks to the PS3 stuff this has changed everything there.

3. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    common key =/= private key

Homebrew channel development for the DSi is rendered impossible for persons that have not downloaded the Sudoko game before Nintendo pulled that software from the DSi shop and applied a patched version.

Please be patient as there will most likely be some other form of hack that may involve a DSi-Mode flash card (like the new Cyclo Evolution) and DSi-exclusive games(Photo Showdown) or DSi-enhanced games (Assassin's Creed II Discovery, Pokemon Black and White, RPG Maker DS, etc.)

4. SABERinBLUE

Newcomer SABERinBLUE Advanced Member

United States
    Is there ANY HOPE WHATSOEVER that DSiWare might be playable on a normal DS in the future?

5. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    At some point in the future? Sure, I suppose. Not 100% likely, but y'know.

If you really want DSiware...get a DSi + some cash. They're all pretty damn cheap.

6. SABERinBLUE

Newcomer SABERinBLUE Advanced Member

United States
    See that's the thing. I only want ONE GAME, and that's really hard to justify purchasing an entire system for it when it's literally just a sliiiightly upgraded version of a system I already own.

But it's Shantae, so maybe I'll cave.

7. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    On a DS Lite or original, not a chance. They would likely use the extra hardware of a DSi that just doesn't exist in older DS systems.

8. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    It would eventually probably be possible on a DSi.

There've been numerous attempts. Most have failed. I'm too lazy to type up the IRC conversation log of the one I tested.

Most likely never on a DS Lite/Phat.

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    no.

10. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Not even with a RAM extension?

11. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    I would still say no even with a RAM cart. Extra RAM wasn't the only change between DS and DSi, and I think the RAM cart is slower than system RAM anyway.

12. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The CPU is less powerful in the DS/DS Lite than in the DSi (XL).

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    NOT HAPPENING.