What are the differences between these flash cards?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dakaa, Jan 10, 2013.

Jan 10, 2013
  1. Dakaa
    OP

Newcomer Dakaa Member

New Zealand
    Just bought an original 3DS and looking for this so called "flash card" to play emulators. I've played around psp cfw mod before as well as iphone jailbreaking. My question is what are the differences between these flash cards? Is it the performance? compatibility? I'm seeking advice on what I need to know before I go out and buy one of these flash cards myself, things such as what chip version/firmware version my 3ds needs to be on to use these flash cards, so please help.

I looked around and DSTwo seems to be the one everybody is using because it supports DS Games + GBA Games + GB/GBC Games + Homebrews on 3ds, are there any alternatives to DSTwo? I want all the emulators, and able to play without crashing constantly, thankyou.

2. Dakaa
    OP

Newcomer Dakaa Member

New Zealand
    Also, where can I buy one from overseas? I'm in New Zealand and I don't trust ebay.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    there are few cards that function on the updated DSi/3DS firmware.

please read this:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flash-cart-should-i-get.290097/

if you want more specifics then read our reviews, but please excuse the broken HTML since our server update.
    http://gbatemp.net/forums/official-gbatemp-reviews.99/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-gold-3ds-compatible-review.293386/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/supercard-dstwo-review.232281/

You'll get the most features with the SCDS2, including exclusive emulation (DOS, SNES, GBA, MAME, ATARI, etc). You'll get a great kit with a wonderful kernel (Wood) that offers a high ROM compatibility with the R4i Gold.cn.

Welcome to GBAtemp and the world of Flash Kits.

-Another World

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    There used to be tons of differences, but most flash carts died out and only a few big models remain. Of those, the DSTwo is by far the one with the most emulation potential, as AW said. So now it's generally broken into two categories.

1 - Normal flash carts. Great for DS games, can do some emulators and normal DS homebrew.

2 - DSTwo. Great for DS games, can do more emulators and homebrew, is more expensive.

There is no proper alternative to the DSTwo on the DS... but if you're looking for emulation I really do suggest another device. Flash carts, even on the 3DS, are only given the power of the original 2004-model DS[/url], so you might be sorely disappointed with the emulation.

5. cdoty

Member cdoty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Too bad the iSmartMM didn't get more attention (or an SDK release). I just purchased one for less than $17 shipped. At least it can run Dingux.

6. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Id have suggested sticking with your PSP for emulation my friend. I mean, if you just wanna play Ds games, grab an r4i gold and if you still have that psp, keep emulation on there.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  7. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    DStwo: GBA & SNES emulation.

Every other Flashcart: Meh.