Hacking Question What are the chances that PC mods (especially Skyrim) are compatible with the Switch version?

nmkd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, while I haven't seen dumps of Skyrim for example, I imagine it would use the same archive structure like on PC (bsa files, etc).

Now, those archives are usually just handled by the engine and thus I thought they might be OS independent (for example, Classic Doom mods work on the Android port of GZDoom).

So, what are the chances that mods (ones that only change archive files and don't do anything OS related) from PC would work on Switch games like Skyrim?

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Very, very low.
While I haven't looked into the filesystem yet myself, I imagine they generate the archive packs with an NX header, and a different file layout.
I'll check it out later today, when I have some time.

Reactions: The9thBit

nmkd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very, very low.
While I haven't looked into the filesystem yet myself, I imagine they generate the archive packs with an NX header, and a different file layout.
I'll check it out later today, when I have some time.

Do you have any dumps?

Well, for what it's worth, I saw many PSP games having a quite "normal" file structure when extracting the ISO.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So, while I haven't seen dumps of Skyrim for example, I imagine it would use the same archive structure like on PC (bsa files, etc).

Now, those archives are usually just handled by the engine and thus I thought they might be OS independent (for example, Classic Doom mods work on the Android port of GZDoom).

So, what are the chances that mods (ones that only change archive files and don't do anything OS related) from PC would work on Switch games like Skyrim?

Maybe, maybe not. Tegra X1 use little endian, which is the same as Intel x86, if the data structure is the same, it probably would work.

D

Deleted User

Depends on the file format. I know PC mods for the binding of isaac are compatible with the switch.

D

Deleted User

Very High actually, i tested it myself by porting the "Skyrim - Hyrule.esm / Skyrim - Hyrule.bsa" from the Switch XCI to the PC Special Edition / Normal Edition.
Fileformats are identical except for textures and music/sound effects, they use a Switch exclusive fileformat.
whats their switch format?

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Very High actually, i tested it myself by porting the "Skyrim - Hyrule.esm / Skyrim - Hyrule.bsa" from the Switch XCI to the PC Special Edition / Normal Edition.
Fileformats are identical except for textures and music/sound effects, they use a Switch exclusive fileformat.
Do textures use directdraw surfaces or ASTC?

SjorsMaster

Ayy
Trophies
Website
www.sjors.eu
XP
Country
Netherlands

PC mods are made and focused for pc, unless everything of the port is the same from datatype to same structure, the chance is very, VERY small. I'd say 0.

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
maybe not directly 1 on 1

but with some modifications , modders could manage it. that would be nice!

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
whats their switch format?
Music / Sound Effects use .mcadpcm, an adpcm variant.
Do textures use directdraw surfaces or ASTC?
Switch supports both, normal DDS files and special Switch swizzled DDS textures (header "DFvN" and "HBvN").

Any Special Edition mod, that doesn't use textures or sound files should work 100% on the Switch version.

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Music / Sound Effects use .mcadpcm, an adpcm variant.

Switch supports both, normal DDS files and special Switch swizzled DDS textures (header "DFvN" and "HBvN").

Any Special Edition mod, that doesn't use textures or sound files should work 100% on the Switch version.
I know that, I meant does Skyrim use the DDS or ASTC texture format?

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you mean DXT1 / DXT5 then yes, after unswizzling the textures are encoded with DXT1 or DXT5, not ASTC.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC mods are made and focused for pc, unless everything of the port is the same from datatype to same structure, the chance is very, VERY small. I'd say 0.
On Xbox 360 you could use quite a few mods from PC, though its a console its always limited nothing much advance would work.

I also had a fun time editing GTA San Andreas back then Xbox original version with PC cars and textures, but only a single super detailed car (back then) would make the Xbox completely slow when they show up :)

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked this question a few months back and people were very much on the boat that this probably wouldn't be possible. It's good to see otherwise. One of the things stopping me from picking up Skyrim on the Switch is indeed the lack of mod support. Welp, modders to the rescue here I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)