What are some things introduced during the pandemic that you think should stay after?

WiiExpertise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, all the new regulations like social distancing and masks are a bit inconvenient, but I'm sure there are some things that have been created because of the pandemic that you'd like to see stick around even when the pandemic is over. What are those things?

Personally, I'd like the school system to stay the way it is now.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I rarely saw people wearing masks on the street before the pandemic. I hope that changes. I want to keep being able to wear a mask outside without people looking at me weird. Especially during flu season and the like.
Also, I hope my university will keep having digital classes as an option. It's so nice being able to go to bed at midnight and still get a full 8 hours of sleep. Of course, I'd attend school normally, too, but I'd like to keep about half my classes digital.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much everything involving being outside. Wearing masks if you're sick with the flu is already standard in some (mostly asian) communities, and I wish more people had that level of basic empathy.

It's also nice to use hand sanitizer in public without people thinking there's something wrong with you, specially in public transportation.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Stop cheek-kissing or hand shaking to salute random people you meet.
ohhhh how much I like that I don't have to do that stupid ritual anymore.
Though, some people thought a good idea to replace that with punch or elbow bumping.... another way to look even more stupid. let me away from touching you.

and, yeah, lot of things said above too.
allowed to work at home more easily, basic hygiene practice, wear a mask if you are sick

At my work, people/clients coming to my office are still trying to lick their fingers through their mask to get enough saliva to be able to .... grab their sheet of paper more easily :(
I shout at them and remind them the mask is there to prevent putting their saliva everywhere !
I hope they would stop doing that ! even before covid... it's so gross touching their wet papers.

Another thing I'm mad at :
People removing their mask on the street to spit on the ground, or sneeze ! :fail: :facepalm:

Last edited by Cyan,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gross people staying the fuck away from me.

I do think masks in crowds/when ill should remain the norm. And one of the biggest things is that working from home should remain more available, people with disabilities or life situations who have never been allowed to work from home before shouldn't be cut out again once "normal" people don't need it any more.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming it is going to end, and not just defeat declared and it becoming an endemic disease (it is unlikely the third world will get much of anything in the near future, and even if one of the presently growing list of variants does not slip past the defences then a nice one of those from there probably will) with cycles of this locking down and whatever half baked measures they can sell to quell the fear (assuming people don't just get on with it).

What would be good.
Has been nice to see work from home be more of a thing. Would have preferred to see it happen before now and not be foisted upon people but do or die I guess worked well. I have had remote options for most businesses I support for well over a decade at this point (actually meant I did not get any calls to create such things beyond a general new laptop setup, which I did remotely anyway as I have done for the last however many).

Remote school has been an option for... decades actually (see something like the open university in the UK) but https://web.archive.org/web/20060903161443/http://ocwconsortium.org/ for a more developed online focused example (which is to say various top universities in the US putting full courses, including big boy science/engineering, fully online some 15 years ago. Something resembling a certificate is a newer thing in that, though the open university has issued recognised things for decades). Granted I am still shocked when I found out various universities prior to this were charging more for the remote stuff.

However long this is in now and masks are still basically a placebo for the types and efforts in use I see from people, though having actually taught people to use them in occasions that actually matter then I expected nothing less. I doubt this will change -- people have had many cars per household for decades now, still drive like morons and drive drunk and with that you can demonstrably kill someone very quickly, the rather lower risk that you are a carrier and days and days removed for a relatively benign disease for most infected... yeah lacks personal trouble/shock value really.

Has been nice to be able to not have to use my own hand sanitiser on those occasions I feel it necessary. Nothing in this world for free I know but was nicer than making it from whatever evergreen I happened to be passing when I needed something to clean my hands and did not have/want to use mine.

Universal basic income intrigues me but I have not seen anybody do it properly and instead it has all be modern monetary theory based nonsense at worst and debt fuelled at best.

What will likely happen.
None of that, or at least remote working options will be coupled with the worst excesses of office block setups or rented/shared office space.

Nice bunch of government emergency powers that they super promise not to abuse (but next guys are not them and thus free and clear of such promises).

Said same governments probably devaluing all the monies more than it already was and riding the remains of a lot of businesses, local economies and communities into the scene of the crash.
Nobody remembering what a bunch of clueless and self serving morons most governments are despite a very public masterclass in the subject. The unquestioning obedient sheep mentality even more so, and probably creating a nice feedback loop with the "I are holier than thou" set but those are at least amusing to wind up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....