Hacking Hardware Homebrew Misc Others Homebrew app What are safe overclocking values for Switch?

Did your switch got damaged in any way by overclocking it?

• Total voters

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
The answer to that is above on Binkinator image... To uncomment is the lines you want to change its respective function you remove the ";" so that the line is active with the setting you have set for it...

As you can check the picture he has done all the work for you, you can check that both settings related to cheats in the picture already have no ";" in the beginning so they are active and the values are already setup for what you want.
Oh i see! I didnt realize that. Thanks blinki! And thank you for the explanation.

Ill try it rn...

So this is it, right?
Post automatically merged:

i cant boot into my switch now. im not sure if its bc of this or...

EDIT:

Fixed it. I had to back space TWICE!

probably this in /atmosphere/config/system_settings.ini

View attachment 349801
Thanks blinki, It works now! :)
Well, i learned something new toway! :)

Attachments

• 20230129_031851.jpg
    20230129_031851.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 97
Last edited by Metoroid0,

AriHasan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi all!~

What are safe overclocking values for Switch In handheld and dock modes (i refer to actual, physical dock and
out-of-the-dock
), and also what temperatures
are acceptable (wont damage the console in any way), and what not to go above for both CPU/GPU and TEMPERATURES?
The way i play is in handheld, no charger, but i ask fro dock since i sometimes (although rarely) use switch docked.

That being said,
I don't want to stress my console, but just to give it a little boost within the official limits, (or to under-clock it if needed,
but that one doesn't damage the console, i presume, so ignore under-clocking.
)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but these are my findings:

CPU (MHz)
1020 - official handheld & docked
1224 - sdev oc (i don't know what this means, if someone can explain it to me. And i'd also like to know if this is also safe, maximum official clocks to be using regulary and safely)
(What if i go beyond that, say 1785 MHz which sys-clk allows me in handheld without charger, will that be OK?)

GPU (MHz)
384 - official handheld
768 - official docked
460 - max handheld (i presume this clock is also the official one, correct? Since i read online that "Mortal Kombat 11" uses those in handheld, and i presume it won't damage the console in prolonged play sessions?)

So are those OFFICIAL maximum clocks (CPU - 1020 / GPU - 384), and more importantly, those 1224 - sdev oc and 460 - max handheld safe to use for prolonged game-play sessions, and regular use in handheld mode, without charger?
Additionally, if i set CPU at 1785 MHz and use it like that in game for prolonged time, is THAT safe to use?

As for temperatures, the hottest i got in "DOOM: Eternal" using 60fps patch, some graphical mods, ReverseNH set to "handheld" and GPU set at
460 Mhz in sys-clk is 47°C / 116.6°F

Thanks~ <3
for oled or v2 this ?

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
So what is the consensus on this?
Is 1785 / 921 / 1862 safe for consistent use? how would one determine what would be a good OC to use? just by playing and seeing the results?
Is there a chart on recommended OC for various games?
I'm playing BOTW and not really sure what I should OC to.
Also, is there a difference between OC in Dock vs official charger(no dock)?

Reactions: AriHasan

Cooler3D

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So your saying I can use max clocks and it will be safe?

It depends on what solution you use for overclocking. In the case of OC Suite and 4IFIR, you simply cannot set frequencies that are dangerous. If you somehow succeeded, the HOS software protection would intervene. If for some reason it does not work either, hardware protection will intervene. For peace of mind, you can use EMUNAND and perform a preliminary backup of the contents of the memory card.

SanThes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So after reading this I'm still a bit confused. I have a V1 switch and am overclocking it to the max that the sys-clk allows just to minimize the fps drops in TOTK. Yes I know there is a patch already. Although is it safe to push CPU, GPU and memory to max in docked mode? Did not apply any overclock to handheld mode. Because some people are saying it's safe and others say it's not quite....

Reactions: axialcecal

axialcecal

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So after reading this I'm still a bit confused. I have a V1 switch and am overclocking it to the max that the sys-clk allows just to minimize the fps drops in TOTK. Yes I know there is a patch already. Although is it safe to push CPU, GPU and memory to max in docked mode? Did not apply any overclock to handheld mode. Because some people are saying it's safe and others say it's not quite....
it's a Tegra X1 chip. an NVIDIA shield has the same. I bought my dad a Shield and that thing runs hotter than a switch and has lasted for yeeeeears.

Nintendo aren't too smart, they made a terrible console.

tldr; Long story short. set Max OC per game profile, change thermal paste if hyper paranoid.

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
it's a Tegra X1 chip. an NVIDIA shield has the same. I bought my dad a Shield and that thing runs hotter than a switch and has lasted for yeeeeears.

Nintendo aren't too smart, they made a terrible console.

tldr; Long story short. set Max OC per game profile, change thermal paste if hyper paranoid.
Unfortunately, I replaced paste twice and thermals are still not amazing, probably a me thing even though I researched it quite heavily and tried 2 methods.

Reactions: axialcecal

Himedo15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of totk i was giving the switch a very rough time with max clock that sysclick would allow and heavy use for a few weeks. But i think it somewhat murdered my switch.

I'm about 90% Sure my SD card reader is failing. I'm pretty confident its not the SD card itself as i did a full reformat and basically reinstalled homebrew on the switch fresh and I'm still getting the crashes and Getting SD card errors and warnings you can see on hektate info.

While its still technically possible the SD itself has had a hard fail, as i don't have another one to test with, i feel it is pretty unlikely

While its not impossible this component failed on its own and not directly related to the heavy use and overclocking, it feels like a hella coincidence.

While my switch isn't bricked, it can't be used to play games or anything because it will crash.

Though Short testing makes me believe that games stored on system and not the SD card are fine (hence, on top the SD related errors and crashes i think its the SD reader).

So unless one of you guys who knows way more than me can say this component wouldn't have failed due to overclocking, overclocking seems to be able to damage the SD reader.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because of totk i was giving the switch a very rough time with max clock that sysclick would allow and heavy use for a few weeks. But i think it somewhat murdered my switch.

I'm about 90% Sure my SD card reader is failing. I'm pretty confident its not the SD card itself as i did a full reformat and basically reinstalled homebrew on the switch fresh and I'm still getting the crashes and Getting SD card errors and warnings you can see on hektate info.

While its still technically possible the SD itself has had a hard fail, as i don't have another one to test with, i feel it is pretty unlikely

While its not impossible this component failed on its own and not directly related to the heavy use and overclocking, it feels like a hella coincidence.

While my switch isn't bricked, it can't be used to play games or anything because it will crash.

Though Short testing makes me believe that games stored on system and not the SD card are fine (hence, on top the SD related errors and crashes i think its the SD reader).

So unless one of you guys who knows way more than me can say this component wouldn't have failed due to overclocking, overclocking seems to be able to damage the SD reader.
First thing to do is test with another SD card?

Himedo15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not own another microsd.

Edit: i am running it through H2testw after another format. That should settle it enough.

also this site barley works on mobile. Holy hell.

edit 2: H2testw came back fine. As as i was confident in, the SD card itself is not the failing point.

Last edited by Himedo15,

dygeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a switch lite I would like to overclock the gpu let me explain: when I play in portable mode the max 460mhz when I plug in usb in charger mode max 780 mhz and when I have the original charger it's max 900mhz. how can i get 900 in usb mode without using official charger

Abram96

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Muchos de nosotros hemos estado usando OC durante años sin problemas, estás pensando demasiado en esto
Yo uso overclock
No hay ninguno. A menos que superes los 1,6ghz

Para el primero, utilice la superposición del monitor de estado. Para el segundo, la respuesta es esencialmente: no, no sin medidores externos.

Para el interruptor V1, eso es realmente decente. Sin cargador 460MHz está bien.

Citas porque se acerca a los 18W, pero no exactamente y nunca lo he visto superar los 13-16W.
La memoria también funciona como VRAM en esta consola, y aumentarla significa que la GPU/CPU obtiene acceso a los datos más rápido, lo que significa que el rendimiento aumenta en todos los aspectos.
[autofusión]1674832142[/autofusión]

1.785 con 921 es """"""bien""""""" pero no es ideal.
Yde resolución dinámica quitado y realmente es una experiencia agradable ver un juego así en esta portátil PD:uso la oled y juego portátil sin problemas nunk e superado los 55 grados

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.