what are Cisco Wireless Bridges standards?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Do Cisco Wireless Bridges standards use 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g or the in-development, 802.11n.

or do they use something completely different?

do any of you guys know?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generally I find wireless bridges and repeaters to use their own standards regardless of what they say they do, and Cisco are not known for playing especially well with others (they have a large share of the commercial big boy network market and very much use that position). Even when it does work it is not without issues either, for my money unless you really need a mesh network of sorts I would probably just set up a second access point and run a cable or use ethernet over powerline or something.

Also wireless N has been available for years now, wireless AC (the one after it) is probably years old as well at this point. Wireless A (an old standard) is a very strange thing indeed if you are used to the home stuff.

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Generally I find wireless bridges and repeaters to use their own standards regardless of what they say they do, and Cisco are not known for playing especially well with others (they have a large share of the commercial big boy network market and very much use that position). Even when it does work it is not without issues either, for my money unless you really need a mesh network of sorts I would probably just set up a second access point and run a cable or use ethernet over powerline or something.

Also wireless N has been available for years now, wireless AC (the one after it) is probably years old as well at this point. Wireless A (an old standard) is a very strange thing indeed if you are used to the home stuff.

Fast do you know any good websites, books on this matter? any more information if you have?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You ran out of bog roll and decided studying for a CCNA was a better route or something?

If you are specifically looking for cisco then you yeah find something that teaches their certificates. It will likely be covered in that.

Most of what I have here is more bitter experience and frustration when trying to deploy such a thing in the real world. If you are after just brushing up on the ideas behind networking then I quite like what I have seen of https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF360ED1082F6F2A5 for it.

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
You ran out of bog roll and decided studying for a CCNA was a better route or something?

If you are specifically looking for cisco then you yeah find something that teaches their certificates. It will likely be covered in that.

Most of what I have here is more bitter experience and frustration when trying to deploy such a thing in the real world. If you are after just brushing up on the ideas behind networking then I quite like what I have seen of https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF360ED1082F6F2A5 for it.

its a case of learning more stuff.

I want to know something about everything. but when it comes to technology and computers i want to know everything about everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.