The Bishop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I tried to look for a relatd topic and i either overlooked it or did not find it. My question is what acutally Bricks a Wii? Is it the backup game discs? Is it applications you install from Homebrew/other wad applications. I read .wad thrown around and the rescue tool states you delete the bad wad file. Are Wad files installed when you first play a backup disc with a game on it?

Any info would be great and if i made an incorrect/duplicate post i apologize.

Thank you.

-Bish

Posts merged

Doh i just realized a spelled actually wrong. Way to go on posting my first topic.
tongue.gif

tarso21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know much about that, but if I'm not mistaken...the Wii is bricked when you install a update from a game that has a different region than your Wii.
I guess that's it, but not sure
smileipb2.png

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are a couple of different types of bricks, with different causes:

* Installing an update from another region, as tarso21 says (either by having a modchip and using a game disc from another region, or by screwing something up badly with homebrew) - this kind of brick can either prevent you from using your Wii at all ("full brick"), or just prevent you from accessing the settings menu ("semi-brick").
* Installing a channel (i.e. installing a .wad file containing a channel) with a broken banner. This is a "banner brick". The Wii system menu craps itself at the slightest mistake with banners, so be wary of installing channels that you don't trust. These are full bricks and they generally arise through a lack of testing on the author's part, although malicious intent is also possible.
* The most rare bricks arise through deleting critical system files - these are rare, and most homebrew tools that mess with system files (e.g. AnyTitle Deleter) explicitly protect against this kind of thing. Don't go digging, and don't run untrusted programs, listen to any warnings programs give you and you'll be fine.

The most common cause of bricks these days is installing channels with dodgy banners that make the system menu choke. The way to recover from a banner brick is to run homebrew code that can delete the channel with the broken banner.

Discs only install wads when they're installing updates, unless it's a homebrew disc doing something unusual (e.g. the Homebrew Channel installer disc.)

The Bishop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate it guys thanks for the info if anyone else has anymore do not hesitate to post just looking for a way to keep preventative measures up on my Wii.

penone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lll said:

* Installing an update from another region, as tarso21 says (either by having a modchip and using a game disc from another region, or by screwing something up badly with homebrew) - this kind of brick can either prevent you from using your Wii at all ("full brick"), or just prevent you from accessing the settings menu ("semi-brick").

So, and I'm pretty sure this is a totally noobie question, if I was to play a PAL ISO back up on my USA NTSC Wii I can brick it?

-P

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive looked around a bit for the answer to this question, but cant find it
why exactly cant savemii[frii] recover a banner brick without a modchip installed?

penone said:
lll said:

So, and I'm pretty sure this is a totally noobie question, if I was to play a PAL ISO back up on my USA NTSC Wii I can brick it?

-P

afaik, only if you install an update from another region.

Oreoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
penone said:
lll said:

-P
you can play PAL backups on NTSC wiis, just do not update using that game disk. if there is a update you can remove it with a patching program (forgot the name) or block updates with starfall.

penone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow! that was some quick replies!!!!! (wish my vendors at work would get back to me that quick!!!)

thanks all!

-P

The Bishop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
when you throw a brick at it
tongue.gif

I can see taking that one back. Yea i got a problem the Wii got bricked and it doesn't work. Place it on the counter with half a brick sticking out.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Is there a way to check for banner bricks, either directly in the code, or with an automated program?
Nope, i can make a brick with jstu a few clicks, iv'e been editing wads for a while now....not once have i got a banner bric, even when i have packed "wrong" by accident usually attention turned to daughter or soo, anyway never had a problem, you will see some of my channels on the hacking section......
Fully tested by me.....

I wouldn't recommend anyone to edit channels without been on 3.2 with starfall and TP hack, or if your on 3.2 with a modchip, you don't need TP or starfall so you can go ahead like me, but my sig tells how safe i am
tongue.gif

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, lll. Your post was very informative.

How do you recover from banner bricks if you have a modchip?

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Thanks, lll. Your post was very informative.

How do you recover from banner bricks if you have a modchip?
already many info on this, ill narrow it down.......

on 3.2 (easier) use a autoboot copy of wadmanagerISO it can be downloaded off here, it will autoboot at health screen and then BAM uninstall that dam bricked corrupt wad.

on 3.3+?? you best have the TP Hack on your wii, otherwise GAMEOVER use Savemiifrii into recovery mode, and boot Zelda, do the TP Hack and run code for wad manager, uninstall the corrupt channel....BINGO

SO

on 3.2 no starfall? no TP? answer.........Modchip to go and autoboot managerISO or any title deleter

on 3.2 with modchip......autoboot managerISO or any title deleter

on 3.3+ without modchip and TP HACK, try recovery and see if you can boot zelda retail through recovery, if not....answer....Modchip! to boot zelda

on 3.3+ with or without modchip and NO TP HACK GAMEOVER!!!!! STUPID IDIOT!

The only MONEY FREE way to unbrick a wii is been on 3.2
, installed starfall patches, and TP Hack, as you can autoboot Zelda TP even though its a retail game through recovery mode by starfall.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
usually only nintendos games or affiliates have updates in them and can brick your wii. i have rarely see a 3rd party game with an update.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
usually only nintendos games or affiliates have updates in them and can brick your wii. i have rarely see a 3rd party game with an update.
No Nintendo update, NO NINTENDO WII GAME can brick your wii.....................

Semi brick?? out of region update....is another matter, yeah that can brick your wii, stupidity, WHO THE FUCK WOULD INSTALL A UPDATE FROM A DIFFERENT REGION?
IT KILLS ME PEOPLE WHO DO IT*

But semi bricks can be recovered easily unlike banner bricks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...