Weird Trick - Will it work with 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Wizerzak, Mar 1, 2011.

Mar 1, 2011
  1. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    I'm sure a few of you will have come across this trick before where it makes it look like there's a hole in your hand.
    Since the 3DS has 2 cameras, if you treated each camera like an eye, would this trick work? Theoretically, I think it should work but would be quite hard to get your head around...
    Anyone know what will happen or, even better, does anyone have a 3DS to test it on?

2012 edit: view my last post.

2. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    Also, do you reckon the same will happen with any 3D camera with two 'holes'?

Edit: sorry double post.

3. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I was thinking about stuff like this the other day. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Someone with a 3DS care to try it?

4. Fire2box

Newcomer Fire2box Member

United States
    I don't think it would work.

The reason the trick works in real life is of course due to how our brains are wired. I assume the 3DS would just take pictures from both cameras. Plus you would be easily able to photoshop it anyhow. Considering it's just circle copy/paste.

5. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK, I bought this up a while ago now, before the 3DS was out, so there was no one really to try it. Seeing as loads of people on here seem to have one now would someone mind testing this? It would be interesting to know.
    Just follow these instructions but use the 2 front cameras on the 3DS instead of your eyes.

6. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    Last bump. Anyone?

7. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK, so bumping this again as I finally have a 3DS to try it on, and I have results!
    It seems the trick does work - only you get a headache quite quickly due to the lighting in the 'tube' being different to the lighting outside the 'tube'.

Here's my results:
    http://3dporch.com/qst4.mpo

or.. if you want to view without your 3DS, here's a wiggle version, it isn't quite the same due to the type of shot (no object focus) but it demonstrates the point:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!