Hardware Weird growth in DS/3DS Screen

Okaris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Lumping these together since they are both screen issues. Recently I opened my DS Lite and found this weird patch on my top screen. I thought it may be a moisture spot (1-1), however it looked different from what was posted here. Moreover, when the console was switched on, there is a weird rainbow distortion in the middle of the screen where the patch is (1-2).

In my New 3DSXL, there is this weird particle in under the screen as can be seen in 2-1 and 2-2. It appears to be a fungal growth. As a precaution, I have placed packets of silica gel in the pouches where I kept these consoles. There are also screen protectors on both the DS and 3DS long before these growth appeared.

Just wanted to find out what these are exactly and whether they can be fixed. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The DS lite looks like a crushed top layer. Usually someone sits on it or leaves something in there and shuts it, though could be chemical. The lines all being in the same direction is also something I want to note.
You can try polishing it out but for the most part it is going to be a screen replacement. That said if it looks like that on a white screen/black text (about the worst conditions for anything like this) then I would probably live with it if a quick polish does not do anything.

The second looks like a mote of dust (probably from some paper) got in there somehow -- have you ever had it apart or touchscreen/screen replacement? The 3dsxl sandwiches the screen between an outer shell and the thing.
It could be a fungal thing, possibly some glue or something like a skin flake in whatever assembly/replacement, though I have not seen such a thing before. Mind you quick scan of weather in Dakar says pretty much perfect conditions if there ever were any.

Okaris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Not sure what happened for the DS. The screen was perfectly fine about 3 months ago when I last checked it. I did have another handheld sit on top of the pouch used to house my DS, but all the while my DS also had a hard plastic cover and the pouch was a hardcover pouch that can be fully zipped up. Furthermore this was left as such for years without much issue.

As for the 3DS, I bought it brand new about 8 years ago. The screen was perfectly fine then, so somehow the foreign object had gotten in over the years (I think it appeared about 1-2 years ago). Other than applying a screen protector on the day I bought it, the top screen is untouched. I am currently living in Singapore (Forgot to change my country in my account details, thanks for reminding), which has humid weather all year round, so that was why I suspected it may possibly be a fungal growth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8