Weird component cable issue

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,308
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
So I finally got myself a new modded xbox, everything works great except for the video signal. I have component cables for the system and all sorts of weird stuff is going on. First of all, if I have anything else plugged into the TV, the signal gets gargled and staticy and starts to cut in and out. Its not even in the same outlet as my other stuff.

Fine I unplug everything and the image stabilizes. Now it wont go above 480i. Yes I have all the resolution options checked, yes I have 480p games.

What the hell gives? I thought it was my component cable or maybe even my TV ports but I plugged it into a broken Xbox I have sitting around and it works as you would expect and has none of this weird unstable image crap. Does anyone know whats going on?

D

Deleted User

OP
Ok well I've been messing around with settings and my spare parts for a while, and swapping power supplies between my old and new unit seems to have done the trick. No clue why but that completely fixed everything. Still the question remains as to why this was a problem as its weird to see the video signal affected by maybe some unstable power or something.

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you changed consoles? I've had the same problem before with Xboxs not detecting the component cable that I fixed by cleaning both the xbox's port and the cables plug with rubbing alcohol and a qtip. Most of the time it's just dirty.

D

Deleted User

OP
So you changed consoles? I've had the same problem before with Xboxs not detecting the component cable that I fixed by cleaning both the xbox's port and the cables plug with rubbing alcohol and a qtip. Most of the time it's just dirty.
I didn't change consoles, I swapped the internal power supplies. It was the same board and video port. Something must've been unstable about the other ones power supply and that affected the video signal for some strange reason.

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Huh weird I've never had that problem come up before. At least you got everything working.

What model of xbox are you using by the way, is it a 1.0 or 1.6 model?

D

Deleted User

OP
Huh weird I've never had that problem come up before. At least you got everything working.

What model of xbox are you using by the way, is it a 1.0 or 1.6 model?
I believe its a 1.6 and the power supply I gave to it came from a 1.0

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Crazy, as you may already know the 1.6 model of Xbox has problems displaying many games with component (Men of Valor, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, etc, etc).
As well as the 1.0 was also the model of Xbox that has the issues with its power supplies. The lead-free solder would crack over time causing the Xbox to fry itself or even catch on fire which made Microsoft release power supplies with fuses on them to try and counter act the problem (it didn't in fact the re-issues power supplies are a bigger fire hazard).

Uhhh kinda rambled off there. Anyways my point is always keep your Xbox unplugged when not in use so it does not catch on fire.

D

Deleted User

OP
Crazy, as you may already know the 1.6 model of Xbox has problems displaying many games with component (Men of Valor, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, etc, etc).
As well as the 1.0 was also the model of Xbox that has the issues with its power supplies. The lead-free solder would crack over time causing the Xbox to fry itself or even catch on fire which made Microsoft release power supplies with fuses on them to try and counter act the problem (it didn't in fact the re-issues power supplies are a bigger fire hazard).

Uhhh kinda rambled off there. Anyways my point is always keep your Xbox unplugged when not in use so it does not catch on fire.
Yeah my 1.0 Xbox had the corrosion problem on the board where it would never turn off and it would turn on as soon as it would plug in. Either way this 1.6 console is faulty in the power supply so whatever works works I guess. If the 1.0 power supply kills it at some point whatever I'll just get a new one lol, I found both systems at a recycling center for free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...