Weird 3DS Issue

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by newluigidev, Aug 4, 2018.

1. newluigidev
    OP

newluigidev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2015
    United States
    Australia
    Hi, so
    Today, I noticed while doing some file transfers that my microSD to SD card adapter decided that its casing was going to begin to break. So, I normally continued on with the process of booting my 3DS. All was well. Until I noticed a couple of things were weird.
    - The status bar on the top screen (has wireless status, play coins, time etc.) doesn't appear anymore
    - Any apps in folders (that are on my SD card) don't appear on the bottom screen, even though the folders have the little app corner popping out of the top of them; indicating they have apps in them
    - Some of the system apps don't appear
    Then, I tried opening System Settings, and my 3DS just freezes. Same goes for opening camera, the settings tab in the top-left of the bottom screen, opening any other app, and having the cursor scroll onto the "mini icons" (Notes, Friends, Internet, Miiverse etc.)

The 3DS also sometimes tends to think the SD card was removed. I've ordered another microSD->SD card adapter, as I think it's as simple as the adapter being broken causing these issues.

I also tried booting my 3DS w/out an SD card inserted. The freezing issue is present there also.

Is this just an issue with my microSD card adapter? Or is my 3DS screwed? Thanks.

(I have a o3DS btw, with Luma 9.1, b9s, and afaik I'm still on 11.7, but I can't check because System Settings freezes when opened).

Last edited by newluigidev, Aug 4, 2018
  2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Do you have a nand backup? If so, try it (to se if it helps). If it won't (as always my only suggestion) do CTRTransfer.
    But before anything, backup your saves with jksm.

3. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Can your computer read your SD card? Copy all your 3DS stuff to it for safe keeping should you happen to need a new card soon.

Can you take a picture of how bad your SD card and adapter looks? Take pictures of the card not inserted in the adapter. Pictures should include both back and front sides.

Do you have spare card to try out? Test a bare bone CFW setup with none of your old files.
    Edit - You might want to check the health of your card in question with H2testw. Make sure the Full Write + Verify test is done an empty card.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Aug 4, 2018
  4. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    United States
    Australia
    Yes, my PC can read my SD card. However, it requires me to hold the casing of the adapter while it reads
    I can get an image soon
    I've tried a 2GB SD card with only the boot.firm for Luma on it, and it loads the config menu fine, but the same HOME menu issues persist

5. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    I would hold off doing a SysNAND restore for the time being until you have a properly working micro SD card and adapter.

You can't risk the chance of your NAND restore failing if your faulty setup decides to derp itself in the middle of it.

6. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    United States
    Australia
    It's coming in a couple of days, so I'll just do my reverse-engineering with Citra. Thanks for your help guys :)

7. DarkWinterCloud

DarkWinterCloud Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2017
    Brazil
    Had this issue once on my O3Ds, had to reconnect the wifi card.
    Remove it, clean the connectors with isopropyl alcoool and reinstall it, should do the work.