WBFS formatted drive suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by slicknixon, Feb 1, 2010.

Feb 1, 2010
  1. slicknixon
    OP

Newcomer slicknixon Advanced Member

United States
    So I was playing Beatles: Rock Band (which i loaded from GX) for about 20 minutes when I exited out of the game to switch to GH5. I used the custom channel extender for GH5 to start the game and it failed to load. I went back into GX and attempted to load it from there. Still no luck. So I finally decided to play a different game. When I went back into GX I got a "no wbfs partition found" message. Then, after going in and out of GX from homebrew channel to try and get it to recognize the drive, I started getting code dumps every single time I loaded GX with the drive hooked up. The drive is in the correct USB port. I hooked the drive up to my PC and opened WBFS manager and it did not find any games. This really sucks because I'm thinking that my drive is corrupt and I had months upon months worth of games installed. It was something like 363 games. I updated GX.. still get code dumps. I updated to CIOS rev17, and still code dumps. WHAT IS WRONG!!!!????!?

2. metroid4life14

Member metroid4life14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If wbfs manager can't find your drive, it's an issue with your drive. Should've backed up your games!

3. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    no sympathy for pirates really, 363 games, you should get a reliable HDD, good luck downloading those again lol

4. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Word!

Backup your backups.

I have NTFS and WBFS HDDs.

5. ClockWorK

Member ClockWorK GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've heard of WBFS repair tools. Try those. Some involve hex-editing the partition data on the WBFS drive. But it sounds like you've got nothing to lose.

Backups are important. That's why I hacked a few friend's wiis. If my drive quits working, I'll get my games back from one of them.

Also, FAT32 or NTFS might be more reliable next time around.

363 games... is that about 600gig?

6. slicknixon
    OP

United States
    it was a 1TB WD My Book. Worked perfectly for more than half a year. Most of the games were ones I didn't really play, but there were still a lot of good games that will be a major pain to get back on the drive should I format and start over. But first, I'm going to leave the drive unplugged for a couple days and hope that a miracle happens.

7. slicknixon
    OP

United States

I did find this:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182236

Appears to have a "repair" feature. Might as well give it a whirl.