Ways to recover from brick without starfall/preloader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cthg, Mar 16, 2009.

1. cthg
    OP

Member cthg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've heard that having cIOS30 or a cIOS249 patched system menu can recover from bricks.

I don't want to install starfall or preloader so I have a few questions about these.

Is having a cIOS249 patched system menu different than simply installing cIOS36 rev8 IOS249?

How can I install cIOS30 and what does it do?

2. Why don't you want to install it? Install starfall, it's pretty uninvasive. =]

With starfall, you'll need a original copy of zelda and the twilight hack so you can run homebrew.

Um, the cIOS36 rev8 IS cIOS249. It's the newest version. =]

With preloader, you don't need zelda or the twilight hack. You can run homebrew without those! [​IMG] But I recommend keeping the Homebrew Channel.

3. cthg
    OP

Member cthg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's the difference between starfall and preloader?

You really only need to install one or the other right?

What kind of risk of bricks are there when installing?

Also with Sys menu 3.2 and only starfall installed can I play backups from the disk channel and boot backups in the diagnostics mode?

4. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    CIOS30 if its installed and your on 3.2 you can recovery from banner bricks and slight system menu bricks by burning a AutoBoot Wad Manager and patching the iso to IOS30 using a IOS Patcher,

but starfall and preloader are good form recovering form Banner bricks and preloader is good from recovery from system menu bricks, that is if you don't overwrite the system menu, cause that removes preloader and starfall , Do some research and make your own decision

5. xDarkElement

Member xDarkElement GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Preloader is the advanced starfall. Why wouldnt you want to have it? It takes like a min to install and can save you from potential bricks

6. I'd say go with preloader because it has more protection than starfall. =]