OldLinkCj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!0
Just wondering what kind of things during use would cause a brick to a PSVita (any kind), like installing an OFW update or something
If anyone can share some ways they know what would destroy a vita, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for reading & any responses

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Updating to OFW won't brick you, it'll just remove your hack.

The only way you'll brick your Vita is if YOU go around messing with vs0 or other system files, or if you install bad homebrew from some shady site that's a bricker (which is extremely rare, just don't go to shitty sites for your Vita games/homebrew), or if you shutdown while updating.

OperationNT

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think messing up with "vs0" partition will trigger a "semi-brick" which can be recovered using the "safe mode" to re-install the FW.
However, the real danger is to mess up with "os0" (which contains "low level" boot intrastructure and safe mode) or "sa0" (which contains fonts used by safe mode menu).

So if you which to brick you PS Vita, you can use VitaRW to be able to write on any partition then delete everything on "os0" using VitaShell. Disclamer: I am not responsable for any damage on your PS Vita. :)

Unfortunatly, like @Tom Bombadildo said, there were some brickers which execute some bricking code (and it's not more than 20 lines of code). This is why, if you don't want to have any trouble, Henkaku settings must be configure to execute only "safe hombrews" and you should use "SafeDump" on every homebrew/backup you don't trust to flag the "eboot.bin" with "non-kernel access".

Ultimatly, there is also a mistake which must never been made: after installing a FW, never uninstall Enso if it was not re-installed. This is why there is a warning about Enso v1.0 here:
https://github.com/henkaku/enso/releases

Last edited by OperationNT,
Reactions: OldLinkCj

OldLinkCj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think messing up with "vs0" partition will trigger a "semi-brick" which can be recovered using the "safe mode" to re-install the FW.
However, the real danger is to mess up with "os0" (which contains "low level" boot intrastructure and safe mode) or "sa0" (which contains fonts used by safe mode menu).

So if you which to brick you PS Vita, you can use VitaRW to be able to write on any partition then delete everything on "os0" using VitaShell. Disclamer: I am not responsable for any damage on your PS Vita. :)

Unfortunatly, like @Tom Bombadildo said, there were some brickers which execute some bricking code (and it's not more than 20 lines of code). This is why, if you don't want to have any trouble, Henkaku settings must be configure to execute only "safe hombrews" and you should use "SafeDump" on every homebrew/backup you don't trust to flag the "eboot.bin" with "non-kernel access".

Ultimatly, there is also a mistake which must never been made: after installing a FW, never uninstall Enso if it was not re-installed. This is why there is a warning about Enso v1.0 here:
https://github.com/henkaku/enso/releases
This too, is very helpful
Thank you very much!

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dunno about now but in the early days of Vita cfw .. some shit was putting out a VPK of Kung Fu Rabbit that killed Vita's ..it was soon common knowledge... & everyone knew but quite a few people got fukt over because of it .... Say if it was a highly popular game at the time like Minecraft or Dragon Quest Builders ...lots of people would have got stung

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've messed with vs0 some like giving it a debug content manager. since I didn't have the dex shell.self, content manager would crash constantly.

edit: I think my intention was to get saves to be transferred without the game. normally, game and save are transferred together, and there's no around it, but dex can transfer just the save.

Last edited by godreborn,
Reactions: SuperDan

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one way to brick a vita is to use vita rw, then delete crucial files. I think messing up the boot plugins config can also cause a brick. afaik, it's in ur0 on enso 3.60 and vs0 on enso 3.65.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol