DarthYoshi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My home network is protected with a WPA passphrase, and as you may know, the DS doesn't support WPA, only WEP. Is there a homebrew or a way that I could make using WPA possible?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not that I know of. And I really doubt that there will be. The reason that it's not available in the first place, is that the DS isn't powerful enough to handle it (at a reasonable speed).

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Two choices you could make:

1. Reduce the security on your home network to WEP
2. Use the Nintendo Wi-Fi connector on a computer on your network

It all depends on how important online gaming is to you in terms of security and money.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a forewarning for other posters: the WPA-enabled replacement firmware was confirmed to be a hoax. It was empty data with a DS loader attached, so it's not a legitimate way to get WPA working on the DS.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well the firmware doesn't affect the games anyway, the netcode is hardcoded in 'em anyway => not even a DS revision would fix this (AFAIK). It's definitely an issue but I've read Nintendo's statement on this and it wasn't at all positive, so all you can do is, as already said, either reduce the security (and maybe start using MAC filtering) or use the WiFi connector, which is kinda a ripoff if you've already got WiFi flowing in your place.

DarthYoshi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We're using MAC filtering WITH our WPA, just fyi. So, I'm just not gonna worry about it for now. If I really want to use my DS online at home, I'll just change it later.

Thanks though guys.

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
DX Note: theoretically this is a standard USB 802.11B wireless networking dongle and should work with all WiFi enabled devices including laptops, PDAs, Wii, PS3, PSP, and NDS. This package comes with some specific software designed for PSP. Also, instructions are printed in Chinese (software is available in English) so if you don't read Chinese make sure you understand how to set up a Ad-Hoc wireless network under the OS you use.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah but the forum box on the bottom of the item page on dealextreme has people saying not to get it because they aren't able to make it work for the ds...

so theoretically it "should" work but people are not able to get it to work.

has anyone ordered this product and gotten it to work?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
You do understand that by adding such a device (something that doesn't support WPA --> network switch back to WEP) to your network you are in essence making your network unsafe again? The easiest / best way to do this I guess is to either A. get a new router (connected to your old network via WPA or cable) or B. get any USB/whatever_connection_here dongle for your PC that can act as an AP; then let either A or B run WEP + MAC filtering. That way if your WEP gets cracked only communication from and to your DS will be open to the public rather then your whole network
wink.gif
. Naturally though if someone has your WEP key and your MAC addres and they spoof that they can get in your normal network so I guess safe is still rather relative. Then again sending data over the air waves......

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah but the forum box on the bottom of the item page on dealextreme has people saying not to get it because they aren't able to make it work for the ds...

so theoretically it "should" work but people are not able to get it to work.

has anyone ordered this product and gotten it to work?
I had the original Nintendo WiFi adapter, but now as I never internet with my DS anymore only use it on my mother's computer as a wireless network card
smile.gif

kiwiboyus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the DS USB connector but it always screwed up my local network settings so I ended up getting an older used wireless router and connected it to my main router. The second router is using WEP and restricted to the MAC addresses of my two DS, I also don't broadcast the SSID so it's less obvious to anyone looking. Next I plan to set up rules in my first router to restrict access to my second router so that if it is ever hacked it will be isolated from my main network and PCs. You could probably find an older 802.11b router at a thrift store for pretty cheap these days. I paid $5 for mine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night