way to prevent auto updates?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by masterzero, Jan 2, 2014.

1. masterzero
    OP

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    I'm getting a 4.5 3ds soon, i'm a bit paranoid over it updatting , how can I prevent this?

I read somewhere that you could prevent it by setting parental controls , but someone else said this was removed in some update.

Is this true ? how can I have the extra layer of security I want for my 3ds?

2. Skyrider

Skyrider GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Netherlands
  3. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    just turn off WiFi

parental setting swill stop the console updating without password, but will still nag you about it

tbgtbg likes this.
  4. masterzero
    OP

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    Ye I guess turning off wifi would be the safest bet ( Or just don't setup it for my house lol) , but I would like to have checked what this ds can do... oh well

5. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    When you going through the initial set up, say NO to the terms. It will never download the update in the background.

6. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Does anyone know if Parental Controls restrict updates from games as well? I restricted game rating down to "C", though Pokemon (rating "E") still prompts for an update before launching, I don't want to proceed to see if it blocks it in case of an accident.

7. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Doesn't restrict updates of any kind since 4.1. The info that the users of above are promoting is outdated.

8. nervx

nervx GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2006
    Canada
    I have no idea if this works but imo if it does it seems fool proof.

1. take 4.x 3ds out of box
    2. setup but skip the wifi setup portion
    3. setup gateway
    3a. unplug cable but leave router on (step for extra safety)
    4. enter wifi info into the emunand settings
    5. go into the real system settings and delete the wifi info that copied over
    5a. allow 3ds access to internet
    6. update emunand

as long as theres no wifi informationin the real system settings you should be able to leave wifi on and not worry about the system updating itself. the only thing you have to worry about at this point would be using retail games.

every time you update the emunand the wifi info might recopy itself over to the real system setting again. im not sure but maybe someone can let us know if it does or if this even works.