Watching videos... over wifi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by pgfreak, Dec 23, 2007.

Dec 23, 2007

Watching videos... over wifi? by pgfreak at 3:08 AM (1,530 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. pgfreak
    OP

Newcomer pgfreak Member

Canada
    Other than encoding files to dpg and putting them on the ds, is there a way to watch videos that are on the PC while we are near our router?

something like streaming pc access to the DS using vlc or something??

2. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Nope, unless you want CRAP quality and know somebody that can code well. You would have to match encoding by quality to the speed of your PC, but the bitrate would have to be less than 12kb/s - the average speed of the DS.

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Only thing I can think of would be to use DSCam and a webcam to capture a video playing on your computer and send it to your DS at about 1 fps. Example: http://dannysied.googlepages.com/DSstreami...ssibilities.mpg

Obviously it's a horrible solution, but it's about as close as you're going to get.

4. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    It all depends on the optimisation of your applications. While I get speeds ranging from 1 kb/s to 8 kb/s, I can achieve around 150 kb/s in DSLinux. Still, DS is way too slow, both CPU- and WiFi-wise (the theoretical maximum speed is 256 kb/s, but still far from what one would need for a comfortable movie watching). If you want to stream your video, get a PSP/GP2x/PDA/Symbian-based phone/Laptop .... [​IMG]

5. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    /Archos 605 Wifi

6. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    A 60 mb dpg of 25 minutes means you need to achieve 41 kbps. How fast can the DS receive internet data?

7. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    He suggested VLC, which means he is talking about non-converted files

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Glacius0 2Mbit or as MaHe said 256Kbytes/s.
    http://www.akkit.org/info/dswifi.htm
    GBAtek is not bad either if your are curious.

I guess the best you could do (aside from something like DanTheManMS suggested) is FTP something to your DS (that can usually get a fairly decent speed) and delete it afterwards using DSOrganize or something.