Watch YouTube videos without changing User Agent

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiCube_2013, Jul 28, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    For a good while now it's been inaccesible to watch YouTube videos without changing the User Agent to a different device (I usually pick 'iPhone' as the UI doesn't change much and can still like/dislike videos) but I'd like to know if there's a way around this without the need to change it always?

I prefer using the Internet Browser for YouTube than the YouTube App as it allows to read comments, listen while browsing other pages and as such.

What I'm asking is either a YouTube link which lets me watch the videos or something like it. I hate going through the settings > User Agent > iPhone > Back > Reload > Watch video but it doesn't really take that much time.

2. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    I use my wiiu on a daily basis to watch videos, also on youtube and I dont have to switch user agents... is it because I have a pal wiiu?
    but a little trick, that might be usefull for you is to try exchanging the "watch?v=" of a youtube link with “embed/” I use it, so I can watch whole playlists without having to start every video 1 by 1, but maybe it can also help you with your other problem

edit: also try "_popup" instead of "embed/", if it still didnt help you

so for example. if you have a playlist and it looks like that
    youtube.com /watch?v=XXXXXXXX&list=YYYYYYY#t=2
    then you change it to either
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXXXXXXX#t=2
    or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=XXXXXXXX#t=2

and yes, you take out the "&list=YYYYYYY" part of the link or else the wiiu cant load the vid

SnugglesDr likes this.
  3. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Thanks for that but the problem is that I'd have to always add that code to a video I'd watch and for that it's easier just to switch the User Agent.

4. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    well this "fix" is mostly about having playlists autoplay
    dunno, if there is a useragent that enables autoplay, but for me it doesnt automatically activate autoplay on playlists... it plays a video, jumps to the next one and then I have to press "play" again for it to start the next video
    this "fix" though lets it play a playlist completely on autoplay *yay* ^^

5. ZeroLimits

ZeroLimits Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2011
    Canada
    Earth
    youtube works fine for me and i believe im using the default agent

6. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    well I dont have to change useragent for youtube either, works just fine, just the autoplay in playlists doesn't work unless I change the beforementioned part in the URL, no idea, why WiiCube_2013 has to change the useragent....
    whats your wiiu's system software and region? mine is 5.0 pal

edit: maybe if you try accessing youtube over this link https://www.youtube.com/html5 and change the video player manually, then you dont have to switchthe user agent....

7. ZeroLimits

ZeroLimits Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2011
    Canada
    Earth
    my wii is 5.0 U

8. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    My Wii U is PAL (UK) and running on the latest software update and it's been like this for ages, maybe cleaning the cache or something would help.

9. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    A couple of days ago I cleaned the browser's cache and since then I've been able to watch YouTube videos without changing the User Agent any more.