Hacking Was the hack patched?

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think Nintendo cares about whether warez loading is possible or not. They probably consider homebrew games (and emulation) to cause them lost revenue because people are playing them instead of buying games. It wouldn't surprise me.

It's pretty obvious that any games not officially approved by Ninty would be considered lost revenue, since after all their seal of quality pretty much means that the developer had to pay a nifty sum to them...
As I see it, they're always trying to keep the environment and possibilities of their consoles as closed as possible in order to maximize the income coming from it.:sad:

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get over it. Homebrew is not what it used to be. Portable devices are all over the place and much better ones than 3ds. We do not need to lose our time hacking anymore now that we have android, which is open source with a free SDK. Soon there will be a toaster with android on it.
Don't have the money to buy games? Just don't buy a 3ds just yet.
3ds will be craked it might take 5 years but in the meantime devs can make awesome games for it and make people pay for them.

Diablokiller999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's a good season for someone to learn FPGA and make a ramhaxx himself (and not troll others).
If you feel uneasy about above that is only i got too nervous installing the ISE.
Got it installed and have written small IC's and CPU-Architectures, is there a way to get more in-depth information about that topic? Would love to work on this :)

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Got it installed and have written small IC's and CPU-Architectures, is there a way to get more in-depth information about that topic? Would love to work on this :)
Good that's my opinion. just try to do it. however ISE installation is awful slow and that's 3 hours now and it haven't finished yet (84%). I know that's difficult for a noob but the hackers all grown from novices.
Also, i don't care about piracy at all. It's too much for me to buy a legit 3ds gamecard (one-hand, 400-500 CNY) and i would consider buying a legit FPGA starterkit instead. It may be fewer for you (since normal chinese earns little).
Ninty is too awful for homebrew developers. i do not care whether neimod release it or not then.
thank god he left a design picture (as a clue for those FPGA develpers). however i do still wonder what he feels if one emulate the gamecard and just publish a hardware only for piracy not for homebrew (awful..)? (I would prefer a cheater plugin instead..)

P-CHYLD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These guys kill me with trying to stop the inevitable. Microsoft can't stop piracy so what makes these guys think they can? That shit is funny. Whether they release it or not, its going to happen and it is nothing they can do about. Like another user said, it can be released anonymously SMDH.
What was the purpose of even mentioning it in the first place and do nothing with it. SMDH The kids these days, everybody want to be a kakaroto or whatever the fuck his name is. I got something you don't got, elementary shit.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to me, if you aren't going to release why even bother mentioning it. doesn't really make sense to me and only looks like epeen.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get over it. Homebrew is not what it used to be. Portable devices are all over the place and much better ones than 3ds. We do not need to lose our time hacking anymore now that we have android, which is open source with a free SDK. Soon there will be a toaster with android on it.
Don't have the money to buy games? Just don't buy a 3ds just yet.
3ds will be craked it might take 5 years but in the meantime devs can make awesome games for it and make people pay for them.

Hacking doesn't necessarily mean piracy.

Buying a device specifically for emulation is a waste of money.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What was the purpose of even mentioning it in the first place and do nothing with it. SMDH The kids these days, everybody want to be a kakaroto or whatever the fuck his name is. I got something you don't got, elementary shit.
to me, if you aren't going to release why even bother mentioning it. doesn't really make sense to me and only looks like epeen.
Pretty much thats all it is, to stroke his/her/their ego(s).
God, so many self-entitled little kids on this forum.

1 - They're not going around talking about it on all sorts of sites. They're not going around showing off. For example, they've never posted anything on this site about it. If you see reports on it, it's OTHER PEOPLE reporting the info, not the people actually doing that.

2 - They actually are releasing lots of useful information. Try checking the wiki some time. I mean, unless you don't care about the actual development process and just want your free ROMs, in which case we're going to have to ask you to shut your mouth, sit tight, and wait for other people to hand you the shit you want for free, opposed to insulting the people who are doing this important initial work.

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Neimod and Yellows8 said they would not release the current hack because it's kernel-mode and they don't want random people writing code in kernel-mode because it would easily allow ROM loaders. We were told this as far back as December, so I'm in with the "Who cares?" crowd since nobody ever said they were releasing things, and the people who were working on something did say they weren't going to release it. His whole "because I'm greedy" remark was a sarcastic "inb4" to how he knew people would react to his decision to not release it, there have been other, more clear statements since then.

Now, if they do make a secondary hack that will be public and user-mode only (homebrew, no OS modification like ROM loaders), I can't say. They haven't gotten far with that at all yet.

I must've remembered it wrong. I can't really be bothered to dig up the actual quote, I'd rather just concede that I'm in the wrong because it doesn't really matter either way, but I thought the whole thing was a sarcastic comment referring to never intending to release anything at all rather than the kernel-mode exploit they never intended for public use (which is what I referred to in the latter part of my post) anyway.

But, yeah, I'm also in the "Who cares?", or "if it happens, it happens" crowd for the time being.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
but I thought the whole thing was a sarcastic comment referring to never intending to release anything at all rather than the kernel-mode exploit they never intended for public use
IIRC it was something like "we're not going to release it because we're greedy bastards" in relation to their first big breakthrough, which was kernel-mode, and that's what was fixed in 5.x. They said they had other things to try still since the initial save exploit they used to run a small bit of code in the first place wasn't fixed, and that they hadn't gotten far with those previously and will have to look into them.

Whether they meant that they just hadn't bothered to try with those lesser exploits or if they had tried and not gotten far due to complications, Idunno'.

Reactions: McHaggis

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get over it. Homebrew is not what it used to be. Portable devices are all over the place and much better ones than 3ds. We do not need to lose our time hacking anymore now that we have android

excuse me for not being over enthused about gaming on a crappy touchscreen.

(in before "but you can carry a wiimote with you everywhere you go")

P-CHYLD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Rydian, if you going to quote something, you need to quote everything. the biggest issues I keep reading is they are trying to prevent piracy. The shit aint gonna happen. Period! Bottom line! If you keep thinking they are, then you are just of a fool as them. Sorry but it is the truth. Piracy is inevitable. This is why a made the reference to kakaroto, he said the same dumb shit when he found the PS3 exploit. People are still pirating with or with them. Look at my post count, I don't depend on these guys for shit. I make moves.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
@ Rydian, if you going to quote something, you need to quote everything. the biggest issues I keep reading is they are trying to prevent piracy. The shit aint gonna happen. Period! Bottom line!
Half-byte loader says "Hi." It was a game-save-exploit homebrew for the PSP that ran in user-mode only. For years, it was only way to run homebrew on newer PSP models, like the 3000 and the Go, until some 6.x kernel exploits were found (and then of course the PSP keys were found after that).
<edit> The point being that HBL did not allow piracy, it was not possible to make an ISO/backup loader and nobody ever did.</edit>

Just to clarify... they not trying to prevent piracy in total, they just don't want THEIR software used for piracy, which is why they want to use the kernel-mode stuff themselves to map out the 3DS and make libraries to actually code homebrew with, and then release a user-mode exploit that people can use to run homebrew with.

If you keep thinking they are, then you are just of a fool as them.
What makes you think I have the same views as them? I'm just defending their right to write their own software and hacks they way they want, and informing you that you have no right to tell them what they should be doing.

Are you just of the "if you disagree with me then you're on the enemy's side" black-and-white mindset? :P

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Half-byte loader says "Hi." It was a game-save-exploit homebrew for the PSP that ran in user-mode only. For years, it was only way to run homebrew on newer PSP models, like the 3000 and the Go, until some 6.x kernel exploits were found (and then of course the PSP keys were found after that).
<edit> The poi..... Snipped!
Lol, your totally right. However, The userland exploit will only land us ROP (thinking back on when the exploit was revealed) access right? Isn't that a bit restrictive in general? You would be at the mercy of the built in system subroutines and calls right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1