Hacking Was in the Wii modding scene in the 3.3 days...

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
riahc3 said:
I wasnt being "anal" about it (is that even a saying?). I was just telling him with rush posts (like the guy before him) it is hard to understand.
(...)
Rather than giving a "anal answer" why don't you explain (briefly) what the different I.nput O.utput S.ystems mean for different games/discs/system menus/etc?
oops_ur_dead said:
No, cIOS is one IOS that installs into one slot.
Same thing as above. And one slot? Are you talking about the SD slot? Because AFAIK there are no more slots.
oops_ur_dead said:
Yes.
You say this 100% without asking anything?
QUOTE(oops_ur_dead @ Aug 3 2009, 08:52 PM)
Then use NUSD and download IOS38, select pack to wad, put it in the root of your SD card and use WAD installation.
So I use NUSD, download IOS38 (which again, AFAIK, is not the same thing as cIOS38 rev14), select (a option I guess) "Pack to WAD", I put it in the root of my SD card, go into my Wii, select a application that acts as a WAD manager, and install the WAD?

(See how descriptive my instructions and step-by-step is? Read yours and then read mine)
I don't understand how you can talk like that to people who are just trying to help you.
Hope you're joking ...
If you're unhappy with the kind of answers given, you're free to leave ...

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When he said cIOS installs to one slot, he means a different IOS slot. There are about like 20 or so official IOS's on your system ranging from around IOS4 to IOS61. Each one is used for different purposes and not all games run off the same IOS. If you run dop-IOS and just scroll through the IOS's it will tell you some major functions of more important IOS's like IOS30 is what system menu 3.2/3.3 runs off of. IOS50 is for 3.4 and IOS60 is for 4.0/4.1. IOS61 is what the current shop channel runs off of. Some IOS's give support for peripherals such as Wii Speak or USB support for guitar hero/rock band games.

Waninkoko's cIOS, which is what you are generally talking about when referring to cIOS rev anything, takes one of these official IOS's (not one from your system in particular, just a wad of a specific IOS from your SD card or downloaded from NUS if you have wifi) and modifies it with a revision of the dip module which is currently at rev14. After modifying it, it installs it to IOS249, which is an unofficial IOS slot that has nothing to do with anything else, so it should not mess with anything official on your system.

The number in the name of it says what IOS it is based off of like cIOS38 rev14 means it is based off of IOS38 because that IOS has some stuff it needed to add USB support for peripherals that wasn't included in the older cIOS36 rev9 and 10 and such.

If you read the readme that should come with the rev14 installer you should see exactly what version of IOS38 you need:

[ HOW TO INSTALL IT ]:

WAD Installation:

- Copy "IOS38-64-v3610.wad" file to the root of a SD card.
- Insert the SD card on your Wii.
- Run the installer and select "WAD Installation".

You can either just google that wad and probably find it, or legally get it through NUSD. There are no region specific IOS's so if you find that IOS at all, it should be the right one.

Since you have an older gamma 0.3 loader that I presume you have working at the moment for older games, you probably have some older cIOS revision installed so when the rev14 installer prompts for what IOS to use, use IOS249. (This isn't asking for what IOS to install to, it's just asking for an IOS that has the trucha bug intact so it can use it to install it on your system and any cIOS should have it so if you're just updating it, use IOS249.)

You should be fine following the offline guide of the ULTIMATE guide, but you could most likely skip the Trucha Bug Restorer steps since you already have an older cIOS installed. Also replace that cIOS rev10 step with rev14 and install as said above. I think some people may have been having some trouble getting the correct files verified in the download package that's supposed to automatically download the necessary wad's form NUS and I'm not sure how exactly people are getting around that.

And also you need to stop sounding like a dick to people that are taking their free time to help you with things that can be easily found by reading up on things some more. Just because they aren't perfectly spoon feeding you your information exactly how you want it doesn't mean you have any right to bash their english or how thorough their free answers to you are. And yes being "anal" about this is a proper saying as it is something along the lines of being an asshole and being picky about every little detail. There are nicer ways to tell people that you didn't understand their directions than basically saying "read your piece of shit advice then read mine".

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
When he said cIOS installs to one slot, he means a different IOS slot. There are about like 20 or so official IOS's on your system ranging from around IOS4 to IOS61. Each one is used for different purposes and not all games run off the same IOS. If you run dop-IOS and just scroll through the IOS's it will tell you some major functions of more important IOS's like IOS30 is what system menu 3.2/3.3 runs off of. IOS50 is for 3.4 and IOS60 is for 4.0/4.1. IOS61 is what the current shop channel runs off of. Some IOS's give support for peripherals such as Wii Speak or USB support for guitar hero/rock band games.

Waninkoko's cIOS, which is what you are generally talking about when referring to cIOS rev anything, takes one of these official IOS's (not one from your system in particular, just a wad of a specific IOS from your SD card or downloaded from NUS if you have wifi) and modifies it with a revision of the dip module which is currently at rev14. After modifying it, it installs it to IOS249, which is an unofficial IOS slot that has nothing to do with anything else, so it should not mess with anything official on your system.

The number in the name of it says what IOS it is based off of like cIOS38 rev14 means it is based off of IOS38 because that IOS has some stuff it needed to add USB support for peripherals that wasn't included in the older cIOS36 rev9 and 10 and such.

If you read the readme that should come with the rev14 installer you should see exactly what version of IOS38 you need:

[ HOW TO INSTALL IT ]:

WAD Installation:

- Copy "IOS38-64-v3610.wad" file to the root of a SD card.
- Insert the SD card on your Wii.
- Run the installer and select "WAD Installation".

You can either just google that wad and probably find it, or legally get it through NUSD. There are no region specific IOS's so if you find that IOS at all, it should be the right one.

Since you have an older gamma 0.3 loader that I presume you have working at the moment for older games, you probably have some older cIOS revision installed so when the rev14 installer prompts for what IOS to use, use IOS249. (This isn't asking for what IOS to install to, it's just asking for an IOS that has the trucha bug intact so it can use it to install it on your system and any cIOS should have it so if you're just updating it, use IOS249.)

You should be fine following the offline guide of the ULTIMATE guide, but you could most likely skip the Trucha Bug Restorer steps since you already have an older cIOS installed. Also replace that cIOS rev10 step with rev14 and install as said above. I think some people may have been having some trouble getting the correct files verified in the download package that's supposed to automatically download the necessary wad's form NUS and I'm not sure how exactly people are getting around that.

And also you need to stop sounding like a dick to people that are taking their free time to help you with things that can be easily found by reading up on things some more. Just because they aren't perfectly spoon feeding you your information exactly how you want it doesn't mean you have any right to bash their english or how thorough their free answers to you are. And yes being "anal" about this is a proper saying as it is something along the lines of being an asshole and being picky about every little detail. There are nicer ways to tell people that you didn't understand their directions than basically saying "read your piece of shit advice then read mine".

Now this (except the last paragraph) is a post. This posts explains everything in detail. Thank you for the helpful part.

The last paragraph is complete bullshit. Like I said, imagine you know NOTHING about the Wii (you dont even know its a console; You still think Nintendo's next console is going to be called Revolution) and read both posts that I said that NOTHING was understandable and you will not understand not a word. There is a difference between spoon feeding and talking proper verbs, nouns, etc.

I never said "your piece of shit advice". Maybe you are the asshole just spitting out shit and putting it in my mouth because I never said any advice on here was shit, just it was poorly written.

Don't catch feelings over the internet and if you analyze the ENTIRE thread, you will understand.

Back to the topic at hand, I believe I have IOS249 installed.
Id like to install cIOS38 rev14 but I just wanna be 200% sure that this will not fuck up the 3.3E Wii (I cannot stress this enough (sorry) as it is not my Wii). I want to install it if it has more compatibility with reading DVDs.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now you're saying I know nothing about the Wii after telling you everything you need to do to update it? Your aggressive words and blatantly telling people off that you can't understand anything they say and then acting like a grammar nazi and shit is what makes people think you're an asshole. I didn't say you explicitly said that, but you basically implied that with how rude you were being to people offering you their help in their spare time. And now you're calling me an asshole after explaining everything to you as clear as possible. Now you're just being a bitch.

I have read the whole thread, do you want me to quote things and show you what I mean by you being rude?

riahc3 said:
oxMUDxo said:
You need to get "Hackmii Installer beta2" before doing ANYTHING!!!!!!!
Get it here!
http://ifile.it/m26wyfp

unrar then put it in the app folder of the SD Card.
Use HomeBrew Channel to Install BootMii to "Boot2" on the Wii then restart the Wii.
You should see the BootMii menu use the "Power" button on the Wii to get to the cogs/ 4th option and select it with Reset the green arrow makes a NAND back up..
You'll need around 550MB of free space on the SD Card for the NAND.

After that you're Wii is 99% safe from a Brick.
Think back before you even got a Wii and read your post.

I know; it makes no sense at all and you dont even post the reasons why I should do this
I know the applications you are talking about but the instructions are so poorly written.
And ifile.it? No thanks. I think I perfer a official link where I can download HackMii from such as http://bootmii.org/get.php?file=hackmii_in...7fb0912c1e65cdb

Here you just criticize him for writing poor instructions when he was assuming you knew at least some shit and didn't have to explain it like he was talking to someone without a Wii because you said yourself that you were in the modding scene before. He's talking to you not writing a noob proof guide for everyone.

The least you could do is just simply ask him where he got that link from (which he edited before your post to give a better link and said where it was from) and then ask why he is telling you to do that.

riahc3 said:
It is "Your quote". Not "you're (are) quote".
Bad english makes important stuff like this (hacking a Wii) difficult to understand.
Im not trying to be a ass just telling him.

AFAIK, you have to install different IOS/cIOS for different games/applications/etc but generally one IOS is used for all games (lets say IOS987 is the common one) and if a game uses its own IOS it is included on the disc. cIOS include all IOS and then some extra features added by modders (is this all correct?). If I install cIOS38 rev14 on a 3.3E Wii, will everything still work?

Like I said, I can't take risks because this is NOT my Wii so if I fuck up....

I have the cIOS38 rev14 installer but I am not sure if I can install it as it may require a internet connection which is impossible to give to this Wii because of its location and like I said since it is not mine, I cannot move it anywhere. Bottom line: A internet connection for this Wii is impossible.

Then you start needlessly getting picky about grammar. Saying you're not trying to be an ass...and then being an ass doesn't make it polite.

QUOTE(riahc3 @ Aug 3 2009, 02:07 PM) QUOTE(oops_ur_dead @ Aug 3 2009, 08:52 PM)
Then use NUSD and download IOS38, select pack to wad, put it in the root of your SD card and use WAD installation.
So I use NUSD, download IOS38 (which again, AFAIK, is not the same thing as cIOS38 rev14), select (a option I guess) "Pack to WAD", I put it in the root of my SD card, go into my Wii, select a application that acts as a WAD manager, and install the WAD?

(See how descriptive my instructions and step-by-step is? Read yours and then read mine)

From my point of view your post is not the slightest bit more descriptive than his. And telling him to read his and then yours is just such a dick comment to make. You're acting like he's obligated to give you these great directions on exactly how to do everything.

Don't be a jerk about everything and just ask him politely if he could possibly explain how to do that a bit better. You are asking for help here from people doing this in their spare time, they are not obligated to do anything for you at all.

And then you call ME an asshole for telling you that you are being rude to everyone in this thread for no good reason when everyone is just trying to help you. Good luck getting people to help you anymore with your shit. Go read up on stuff yourself if you're going to act all high and mighty.

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this guy is weird....
He needs help but I don't think it's are help he needs...wink wink.
wink.gif

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Now you're saying I know nothing about the Wii after telling you everything you need to do to update it?

I didn't even read your whole post. I stopped here.

I have to quote myself. I hate doing this...

riahc3 said:
Like I said, imagine you know NOTHING about the Wii (you dont even know its a console; You still think Nintendo's next console is going to be called Revolution) and read both posts that I said that NOTHING was understandable and you will not understand not a word.

Hell Ill even requote myself:

QUOTE(riahc3 @ Aug 4 2009, 03:43 AM)
The last paragraph is complete bullshit. Like I said, imagine you know NOTHING about the Wii (you dont even know its a console; You still think Nintendo's next console is going to be called Revolution) and read both posts that I said that NOTHING was understandable and you will not understand not a word. There is a difference between spoon feeding and talking proper verbs, nouns, etc.

Lets see:
Imagine - To form a mental image of something; to envision or create something in one's mind.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/imagine

I never said you knew nothing about the Wii (again you are being a bigger asshole than me putting words in my mouth) I simply said it imagine it and you will see that you understand none of the directions that the previous posters have written.

If you want to put words in my mouth, please don't post. You are making this a completely unrequired flamewar.

Im gonna read the rest of your post now and comment....

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK so i misread the imagine part. Thought it said I imagine you know... or something. Even so you still feel the need to further promote your asshole status and quote yourself twice and treat me like an idiot and give me a link to a wiki definition of imagine. Anyways even with that the point is useless to begin with because you said you were in the modding scene before. The point is you AREN'T supposed to be some flaming retard that has never read anything on how to use a Wii before asking how to hack it. And yet you still just rudely tell everyone off that no noob can understand their directions and they shouldn't have even thought that you'd be able to understand something out of it.

Even in your last post, you still came off as being a prick. Reading one line of my post and feeling the need to call ME an asshole again and linking to a definition of imagine like I wouldn't know what it meant otherwise. You've been flaming everyone trying to help you in this thread from the start of it. I'm just pointing it out.

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The topic is
"Was in the Wii modding scene in the 3.3 days..."
So I guess we should just take that and throw it out the Window..
Start from scratch..

I'll tell you about the Nintendo Wii scene you don't know.
The Nintendo Wii is the newest Gaming system from Nintendo it was called the Nintendo Revolution while in development but before its release in 2006 the name was changed to the Nintendo Wii, most people didn't like the change at the time.

Like most gaming system some very talented hackers found ways to expand the Wii software providing ways to run applications that Nintendo never intended..

These applications are often called hacks, apps or programs.
The biggest hack or program is The HomeBrew Channel, from the HomeBrew Channel anyone can load and install software on the Nintendo Wii witch brings danger scene not everyone has the knowledge and know how to use some apps and installs.
This not knowing coses some people to accidentally corrupt, un-install or over wright important system files this coses what is know as a Brick.

The name Brick comes from a stone cut in a box shape form that's commonly used to build walls and even buildings or homes, hackers use the name Bricked System because after you brick a gaming system that all the fun it's going to be "as fun as playing with a Brick"

Hackers or Moders as they are also called came up with a way to fix these Bricked Systems but the Software must be installed prior to a brick theses apps are BootMii and Pre-Loader tho Pre-Loader was made for hacks it also serves as some Brick protection....

Do I really need to go on with this common sense post.?
Come on We all know this, I know you're not this dumb!!!

If you want more information like this make a topic something like.
I was dropped on my head as a child and don't have a clue about anything..please help.
What is a google? Why is playing with my Wii no longer a sin?

Grate I feel I just wasted a little more of my life now..

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spritefreak said:
I am in the same boat...I need to upgrade. Do I need to remove Starfall and/or the existing backup loader from my wii?

PM'd so as to not inadvertently help the ungrateful one anymore than I have.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you EVERYONE for helping me if it makes all of you feel better.

I guess Ill just follow the (offline) version of the Ultimate Guide.

smply ppl not under stand how 2 xpress themselves???

See what a piece of shit sentence that is?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
riahc3 said:

Yes I see how bad of a sentence it is, but I can understand the gist of what is being said in it. So I'm not gonna be a prick and tell you that your English is terrible and this is how you should write a proper sentence.

I understand that some people don't know how to express themselves properly. You clearly do not know how to do so without coming off as a jerk. Saying "if it makes you feel better" after saying thanks completely detracts from any sincerity in saying it at all.

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
riahc3 said:

Thats easy to understand

Simply people do not under stand how to express them selves.

He was just writing in short hand.
Short Hand.
1. a method of rapid handwriting using simple strokes, abbreviations, or symbols that designate letters, words, or phrases (distinguished from longhand ).
2. a simplified or makeshift manner or system of communication: We spoke in a kind of pidgin shorthand to overcome the language barrier.

Just helping you understand.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
Yes I see how bad of a sentence it is, but I can understand the gist of what is being said in it. So I'm not gonna be a prick and tell you that your English is terrible and this is how you should write a proper sentence.

I understand that some people don't know how to express themselves properly. You clearly do not know how to do so without coming off as a jerk. Saying "if it makes you feel better" after saying thanks completely detracts from any sincerity in saying it at all.
Do you go in your local coffee shop and the first thing they do is greet you with "Hello nadster92! Welcome to (coffee shop) I hope you have had a nice morning" you buy the coffee "Thank you for buying our coffee" you leave after drinking "Please come again!"

Life aint all roses. I say things clearly and directly. If it bothers you, so be it.
I havent insulted anyone.

QUOTE(oxMUDxo @ Aug 4 2009, 10:21 PM) smply ppl not under stand how 2 xpress themselves???

Thats easy to understand

Simply people do not under stand how to express them selves.

He was just writing in short hand.
Short Hand.
1. a method of rapid handwriting using simple strokes, abbreviations, or symbols that designate letters, words, or phrases (distinguished from longhand ).
2. a simplified or makeshift manner or system of communication: We spoke in a kind of pidgin shorthand to overcome the language barrier.

Just helping you understand.
You need to understand that when talking tech you have to be very specific and some things cannot be written in short hand as you say.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
riahc3 said:
nabster92 said:

Do you go in your local coffee shop and the first thing they do is greet you with "Hello nadster92! Welcome to (coffee shop) I hope you have had a nice morning" you buy the coffee "Thank you for buying our coffee" you leave after drinking "Please come again!"

Life aint all roses. I say things clearly and directly. If it bothers you, so be it.

Do you go into your local coffee shop and then when they go "Hello riach3! Welcome to (coffee shop) How are you?" you respond back to them with "SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH LIFE AIN'T ALL ROSES STOP WASTING MY TIME AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN COFFEE!!!!!!!"

Life is what you make of it. Treat others courteously and you will be treated the same. (unless said other person has your sense of being "clear and direct") You have indeed directly insulted everyone in this thread by insulting their English, acting all holier than thou when you don't know anything and are asking others for help in their free time and calling me an asshole for pointing out your way of being "clear and direct" as rude.

Bobbarooskie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
riahc3 said:
You need to understand that when talking tech you have to be very specific and some things cannot be written in short hand as you say.

This thread has been quite an enjoyable read.
riahc3 you come off like a condescending prick
grog.gif
It's going to be great when you brick your friends Wii
yay.gif

striker1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been a long time lurker and haven't had the need to post but this thread is really unbelievable that I couldn't resist.

Props to oxMUDxo and nabster92 for being REALLY HELPFUL and VERY PATIENT with someone who obviously doesn't have a clue as to how to ask for help and return in kindness.

Stickies are on the first page for a reason. I'd say to the OP to read them if you're still lost. You've obviously alienated enough people with you're attitude that you won't find anymore help here.

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
riahc3 said:
No but you've been totally condescending and disrepectful.
You're not alone on earth man, maybe you don't like how ppl write here but you can't talk to ppl like that especially when they try to help you.
I can understand that you don't like it. As for me I try to do less mistakes as possible (even if I use shortcuts in my words) and I appreciate reading correct English.
But when someone tries to help you, it's disrescpectful to make more than a half of your reply to explain him how he writes bad and explain things wrong.
As English is not my mother language (see my little flag
wink.gif
) I appreciate the fact that ppl are tolerant and don't correct my spelling or grammar on each sentence I write when I explain them things. It's just respect and/or common sense.
Moreover, here it's just a chat place, not a grammar university.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    This was one of the craziest movies I've seen about our food industry, lots of stuff I didn't know. A must see. https://youtu.be/OqzjC-ENrl8?si=GYxmdY5nShzGniVi
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Oh, that dude?
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol +1