Hacking Was in the Wii modding scene in the 3.3 days...

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey

My friend had a 3.3e Wii that we modded with the Twilight Hack and added the HBC and used gamma's 0.3 backup loader to run our backups but now with 4.0 (or 4.1) out, I see everything has changed alot.

I plan to update to 4.0 (4.1) as games will problably require it sooner or later (I modded my Xbox 1 back in the day so I have SOME experience in console modding). What should I do? Just follow the ultimate guide or should I remove the Twilight Hack, HBC, etc etc?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can use that guide if you want. That's the one i used when i first upgraded to 4.0. I was one of the guinea pigs for it...Used it just days after it was posted. (At that time, bootmii and several apps used there now like Dop-IOS and Trucha Bug Restorer did not exist, so not sure how well it works now...)

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you have a older Wii this is a good thing!!!

First thing You should do is install "BootMii" to boot2 on the Wii.
After that use BootMii to make a System back also known as a "NAND" back up.
With this NAND back up you'll be able to fix the Wii from any Brick witch makes doing this first very important, and handy..

Good luck

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oxMUDxo said:

With this NAND back up you'll be able to fix the Wii from any Brick witch makes doing this first very important, and handy..

Good luck

Second that!

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oxMUDxo said:

Good luck

Yeah it is a old version. I dont have that LUA64+ or however it is named Wii....

If you dont mind, could you please point me to a guide to how to install BootMii to boot2 on the Wii, make a system back (NAND backup) and how to make the Wii unbrickable?

And after doing all of this, I should install 4.1?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
riahc3 said:
oxMUDxo said:

Good luck

Yeah it is a old version. I dont have that LUA64+ or however it is named Wii....

If you dont mind, could you please point me to a guide to how to install BootMii to boot2 on the Wii, make a system back (NAND backup) and how to make the Wii unbrickable?

The ULTIMATE guide does include the bootmii steps in it. Just follow everything in it including installing the HBC (as it will install a more recent HBC). The IOS and cIOS downgrader steps aren't REALLY necessary, but shouldn't hurt since you have an old Wii anyways. (If you can do a boot2 install of bootmii (it will tell you if you can in the hackmii installer) then you you're fine regardless).

Also you may need to swap steps 11 and 12 (install IOS60 with dop-IOS before running the 4.1 updater) because I think the updater will give you some error if you don't already have at least IOS60 on the system beforehand as I guess it's meant to be an updater to be used from 4.0. But doing that step first should be enough to have it run fine. Then you can do the dop-IOS step again afterwards if loading wads from the sd card menu doesn't work after that.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
riahc3 said:
oxMUDxo said:

Good luck

The ULTIMATE guide does include the bootmii steps in it. Just follow everything in it including installing the HBC (as it will install a more recent HBC). The IOS and cIOS downgrader steps aren't REALLY necessary, but shouldn't hurt since you have an old Wii anyways. (If you can do a boot2 install of bootmii (it will tell you if you can in the hackmii installer) then you you're fine regardless).

Also you may need to swap steps 11 and 12 (install IOS60 with dop-IOS before running the 4.1 updater) because I think the updater will give you some error if you don't already have at least IOS60 on the system beforehand as I guess it's meant to be an updater to be used from 4.0. But doing that step first should be enough to have it run fine. Then you can do the dop-IOS step again afterwards if loading wads from the sd card menu doesn't work after that.

I looked at the ultimate guide a while back but I dont remember right now....

Is the ultimate guide also for offline? I dont have internet access where the Wii is at.

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to get "Hackmii Installer beta2" before doing ANYTHING!!!!!!!
Get it here!
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzzmuywymt
These are files from the Ultimate 4.0 Installer all you need for BootMii is the Hackmii Installer beta2.

Unrar then put Hackmii Installer beta2 in the app folder of the SD Card.
Use HomeBrew Channel to Install BootMii to "Boot2" on the Wii then restart the Wii.
You should see the BootMii menu use the "Power" button on the Wii to get to the cogs/ 4th option and select it with Reset the green arrow makes a NAND back up..
You'll need around 550MB of free space on the SD Card for the NAND.

After that you're Wii is 99% safe from a Brick.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oxMUDxo said:
You need to get "Hackmii Installer beta2" before doing ANYTHING!!!!!!!
Get it here!
http://ifile.it/m26wyfp

unrar then put it in the app folder of the SD Card.
Use HomeBrew Channel to Install BootMii to "Boot2" on the Wii then restart the Wii.
You should see the BootMii menu use the "Power" button on the Wii to get to the cogs/ 4th option and select it with Reset the green arrow makes a NAND back up..
You'll need around 550MB of free space on the SD Card for the NAND.

After that you're Wii is 99% safe from a Brick.
Think back before you even got a Wii and read your post.

I know; it makes no sense at all and you dont even post the reasons why I should do this
I know the applications you are talking about but the instructions are so poorly written.
And ifile.it? No thanks. I think I perfer a official link where I can download HackMii from such as http://bootmii.org/get.php?file=hackmii_in...7fb0912c1e65cdb

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG,

OK, I thought you knew a little about Wii Hacking scene you did install the HomeBrew Channel..
The reason that BootMii is "SO IMPORTANT" is because if you "Brick" aka screw up you're Wii its the best way fix it.
BootMii installed to Boot2 on the Wii offers the best Brick protection..

You're quote.
"Think back before you even got a Wii and read your post."
I don't know what you're applying there, but I know it's not nice...

lol, I don't know if I want to help you any more..?

But since this is so important and it is I will try to put up with you and help you if you want it..
smile.gif

Please try to be nice.

---EDIT---

Also what cIOS are you using cIOS38 rev14 is out and its the best in my opinion.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oxMUDxo said:
OMG,

OK, I thought you knew a little about Wii Hacking scene you did install the HomeBrew Channel..
The reason that BootMii is "SO IMPORTANT" is because if you "Brick" aka screw up you're Wii its the best way fix it.
BootMii installed to Boot2 on the Wii offers the best Brick protection..

You're quote.
"Think back before you even got a Wii and read your post."
I don't know what you're applying there, but I know it's not nice...

lol, I don't know if I want to help you any more..?

But since this is so important and it is I will try to put up with you and help you if you want it..
smile.gif

Please try to be nice.

---EDIT---

Also what cIOS are you using cIOS38 rev14 is out and its the best in my opinion.
It is "Your quote". Not "you're (are) quote".
Bad english makes important stuff like this (hacking a Wii) difficult to understand.
Im not trying to be a ass just telling him.

AFAIK, you have to install different IOS/cIOS for different games/applications/etc but generally one IOS is used for all games (lets say IOS987 is the common one) and if a game uses its own IOS it is included on the disc. cIOS include all IOS and then some extra features added by modders (is this all correct?). If I install cIOS38 rev14 on a 3.3E Wii, will everything still work?

Like I said, I can't take risks because this is NOT my Wii so if I fuck up....

I have the cIOS38 rev14 installer but I am not sure if I can install it as it may require a internet connection which is impossible to give to this Wii because of its location and like I said since it is not mine, I cannot move it anywhere. Bottom line: A internet connection for this Wii is impossible.

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your right to be very coshes, most people rush in to things and that coses most bricks.
Sorry about the "you're" it should be your, it's a bad habit I have spelling it like that. lol, ADD.

Anyway with BootMii installed to Boot2 you can screw up the Wii all day long and have a very easy way to fix it.
Thats why it's so important to have.
"Boot2 is a space on the Wii that doesn't get touched by any updates and is the first screen to load on a Wii when turning it on, tho you never see it."
That's the best way I can describe Boot2 anyway.

The Nand back up is everything you have at the time of the back up so if installing cIOS38 rev14 messages anything up just use BootMii to restore the Wii to when the Nand was made.

BootMii + Nand back up = A safe Wii..
Your very wise to do research first and taking or advice second..

I know you'll be ok.
Good Luck.

oops_ur_dead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
riahc3 said:
It is "Your quote". Not "you're (are) quote".
Bad english makes important stuff like this (hacking a Wii) difficult to understand.
Im not trying to be a ass just telling him.
Its a common mistake. Dont be so anal about it.
QUOTE said:
AFAIK, you have to install different IOS/cIOS for different games/applications/etc but generally one IOS is used for all games (lets say IOS987 is the common one)
There's no common IOS.
QUOTE said:
and if a game uses its own IOS it is included on the disc. cIOS include all IOS and then some extra features added by modders (is this all correct?).
No, cIOS is one IOS that installs into one slot.
QUOTEIf I install cIOS38 rev14 on a 3.3E Wii, will everything still work?
Yes.
I have the cIOS38 rev14 installer but I am not sure if I can install it as it may require a internet connection which is impossible to give to this Wii because of its location and like I said since it is not mine, I cannot move it anywhere. Bottom line: A internet connection for this Wii is impossible.
Then use NUSD and download IOS38, select pack to wad, put it in the root of your SD card and use WAD installation.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
@Mud: This time you meant "You're right"
wink.gif

Just installing bootmii as boot2 and ios, then install cios rev 14, don't bother updating; 3.3 is fine. Then if you want get a usb loader, if you want gamecube backups install MIOS and get a gamecube backup loader and you might want to replace gamma with neogamma.

Otherwise, nothing's really new. You could apply a theme if you downgrade to 3.2 and also installer preloader for system menu hacks and cioscorp for disc channel backup loading. Then.. meh.. wad manager 1.5 for your games.. soon we'll have NAND emulation which can load them from sd/usb..

Rock Band/Guitar Hero dlc hacks available in wad form..

Yeah that's basically it.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oxMUDxo said:
Your right to be very coshes, most people rush in to things and that coses most bricks.
Sorry about the "you're" it should be your, it's a bad habit I have spelling it like that. lol, ADD.

Anyway with BootMii installed to Boot2 you can screw up the Wii all day long and have a very easy way to fix it.
Thats why it's so important to have.
"Boot2 is a space on the Wii that doesn't get touched by any updates and is the first screen to load on a Wii when turning it on, tho you never see it."
That's the best way I can describe Boot2 anyway.

The Nand back up is everything you have at the time of the back up so if installing cIOS38 rev14 messages anything up just use BootMii to restore the Wii to when the Nand was made.

BootMii + Nand back up = A safe Wii..
Your very wise to do research first and taking or advice second..

I know you'll be ok.
Good Luck.
MUCH better post and I can understand it way better. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

QUOTE(Alexrose @ Aug 3 2009, 08:56 PM) @Mud: This time you meant "You're right"
wink.gif

Just installing bootmii as boot2 and ios, then install cios rev 14, don't bother updating; 3.3 is fine. Then if you want get a usb loader, if you want gamecube backups install MIOS and get a gamecube backup loader and you might want to replace gamma with neogamma.

Otherwise, nothing's really new. You could apply a theme if you downgrade to 3.2 and also installer preloader for system menu hacks and cioscorp for disc channel backup loading. Then.. meh.. wad manager 1.5 for your games.. soon we'll have NAND emulation which can load them from sd/usb..

Rock Band/Guitar Hero dlc hacks available in wad form..

Yeah that's basically it.
I thought BootMii could be installed as boot2 OR as a IOS (the method perfered is boot2). Then I install cIOS38 rev14 (which I would have to follow oops_ur_dead's "great" instructions) and thats it? Everything works? MPlayer CE reads my media data DVD-Rs? NeoGamma reads my disc backups?

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oops_ur_dead said:
Its a common mistake. Dont be so anal about it.
I wasnt being "anal" about it (is that even a saying?). I was just telling him with rush posts (like the guy before him) it is hard to understand.

oops_ur_dead said:
There's no common IOS.
Rather than giving a "anal answer" why don't you explain (briefly) what the different I.nput O.utput S.ystems mean for different games/discs/system menus/etc?

oops_ur_dead said:
No, cIOS is one IOS that installs into one slot.
Same thing as above. And one slot? Are you talking about the SD slot? Because AFAIK there are no more slots.

QUOTE(oops_ur_dead @ Aug 3 2009, 08:52 PM) Yes.
You say this 100% without asking anything?

QUOTE(oops_ur_dead @ Aug 3 2009, 08:52 PM)
Then use NUSD and download IOS38, select pack to wad, put it in the root of your SD card and use WAD installation.
So I use NUSD, download IOS38 (which again, AFAIK, is not the same thing as cIOS38 rev14), select (a option I guess) "Pack to WAD", I put it in the root of my SD card, go into my Wii, select a application that acts as a WAD manager, and install the WAD?

(See how descriptive my instructions and step-by-step is? Read yours and then read mine)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte