Hacking Wanting a 3DS XL Flashcart for my kids, which one is best?

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the topic creator might be misunderstanding something.

There is currently no fast and easy solution to playing 3DS ROMS in your 3DS.

Those R4 clones that claim to run on the 3DS is half lying. This is because those "3DS Compatible" DS flashcarts means you can only put DS ROMS on their and not 3DS ROMS. The compatible part is because Nintendo has a blocklist of flashcarts and if they are included in it, even old DS mode flashcarts won't work on it.

- You need a 3DS flash cart to run 3DS ROMs on it.
- You need a DS flash cart to run NDS ROMs on it.
- There is no flashcart that can run both 3DS and NDS ROMs on it.

So... In that perspective, you need two stuff. First Sky3DS for 3DS games and an R4 clone for DS games.

Reactions: zfreeman

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Jesus... I don't know if anyone's reprimanded you for this yet, but doing this harms the industry you leech off of. This should be common knowledge by this point; why do people still need to be reminded that this creates problems for everyone, including parasites like yourself?

People seems to forget that not everyone have the actual money to buy everything, or face even bigger problems like living in places where is extremely diffcult to get the games u want, and when u found tends to be so much more expensive. In this line of thought, there's is 0 loss in him doing piracy, since he would buy anything anyway. Actually there's +1 system sold.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you want an awesome card for 3ds then grab a Gateway.
If you want an awesome card for gba,nds,nds,nes etc then grab a Supercard DS2.
You will not be disappointed.
Just make sure they can work with your 3ds firmware before you buy.
Good luck.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want an awesome card for 3ds then grab a Gateway.
If you want an awesome card for gba,nds,nds,nes etc then grab a Supercard DS2.
You will not be disappointed.
Just make sure they can work with your 3ds firmware before you buy.
Good luck.

She said the System(s) are on 9.5, so Gateway is out of the question.
Sky3ds has already been suggested a number of times as well. :)

Reactions: Megaben99

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How the hell does one able to afford a n3ds/3ds but not a flash card.....

If you can't afford the games or a flash card what good is the 3ds system itself, just to look pretty in your hands? Playing around with the camera? Your kids would probably be bored out of there minds with no games to other than the cheezy built in apps.

Reactions: ldeveraux

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
To be frank, if they can play 3DS games on their calculator they would do it. They're only willing to buy the system because it's required to play the games in the first place. Until high compability 3DS emulators come around.....

TheSockNaster

Kawaii
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi There,

New to this forum and have searched around a bit to read other threads. I have an 11 & 8 year old who have a 3DS (just bought, not the "new" version 3DS). They have a DSI as well and have an R4i card, which seemed at the time a lot easier to get my hands on.

I would have gone for the R4i Gold (Deluxe or not) version only because we have the R4i with the DSi's, but I really wanted opinions if you think this is good or if there is anything else out there that is better, working wise, user friendly etc..

Also, I have ordered about a month ago now 2 R4i 3DS Gold cards from R43ds.org. After making my purchase, they took my money right away, waiting 3 weeks, I sent them a message as my order status still says "awaiting shipment", did not hear anything. Then I searched the company and Im afraid with all the negative reviews, although there were some good reviews too, I may have been scammed :( That being said, I am looking for legit sites to order the cards from. I see a link on this page, looked them up and have also read about un authorized charges to peoples credit cards after they ordered? If anyone has ordered from them, or can suggest another site, how long did they take to arrive and what was your experience?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and wisdom!!
L
Hi There,

New to this forum and have searched around a bit to read other threads. I have an 11 & 8 year old who have a 3DS (just bought, not the "new" version 3DS). They have a DSI as well and have an R4i card, which seemed at the time a lot easier to get my hands on.

I would have gone for the R4i Gold (Deluxe or not) version only because we have the R4i with the DSi's, but I really wanted opinions if you think this is good or if there is anything else out there that is better, working wise, user friendly etc..

Also, I have ordered about a month ago now 2 R4i 3DS Gold cards from R43ds.org. After making my purchase, they took my money right away, waiting 3 weeks, I sent them a message as my order status still says "awaiting shipment", did not hear anything. Then I searched the company and Im afraid with all the negative reviews, although there were some good reviews too, I may have been scammed :( That being said, I am looking for legit sites to order the cards from. I see a link on this page, looked them up and have also read about un authorized charges to peoples credit cards after they ordered? If anyone has ordered from them, or can suggest another site, how long did they take to arrive and what was your experience?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and wisdom!!
L

If you want to buy one go to http://www.nds-card.com/ . They support GBATemp. Safe

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to clarify for the OP;

There are only 2 flashcards that are worth getting (not clones) that can play 3ds games (sky3ds and gateway). Most cards that say they are compatible mean they WORK with the system for regular DS games but they don't work with 3DS games.

3DS Flashcards:

Sky - Any firmware
Simple interface, just click a button on the flashcard to swap games.
The downside to sky is you need to create a private header (or risk using a public header) if you want to play online. It also can't play some newer games due to new AP on the cards.
Using public headers have resulted in console bans

QQ3DS - Any firmware
sky clone

K3DS - Any firmware
sky clone

R5 - Any firmware
Sky clone

Gateway - 9.2 or less
You can't use this flashcard on your systems if they are running 9.5, it's also a more complex system that you can do more with.

R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe/3DS Link/Orange 3DS/MT-Card - 4.1-4.5
You can't use this flashcard on your systems if they are running 9.5, they are relatively inferior to gateway or sky anyway.

3ds flashcards source: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_Comparison

DS Flashcards:

I'm no expert on DS flashcards anymore but I believe the dstwo is the best bet. You can use it to ONLY play regular DS games (and emulators I think?), no 3DS games.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've found out by now, the 3DS has much tighter security so it's far more complex vs buying a flashcard for the regular DS.

As for a respected site to buy from, I'm also from Canada and I've made several purchases from modchipcentral, they might be a little more expensive vs buying from china but you get it relatively fast and since they have a Canadian warehouse (or did) there's no customs to clear. I think I got mine 3 days from when I ordered (but I live in ontario where the warehouse is so)

Last edited by marksteele,
Reactions: Angely

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And sky3ds can not play the newest games but Gateway can
She can't use it!

OP's system has fw 9.5 so no emunand/cfw that enables playing 3ds gamebackups/pirated games is possible at the moment for her.

As @marksteele & many others said. For now Sky 3DS isher only option for 3DS games & the solution for playing DS games are any nonblocked flashcards, R4, Supercard DSTWO which is the best card for DS games & older games. I recommend the DStwo if there're lot of DS games or gba etc. her kids are interested in, since I had it for years & the team pretty fast got a workaround when Nintendo was trying to block flascards on 3DS. It also has multiple user ability so more people can play the same games with their own safe. Handy if you have more than 1 kids sharing a DS(i)/(N)3DS.
It has many other useful options too.

I've to say that dsi enhanced games like pokemon B&W 1&2 can be played, but the dsi part will not be activated, since the card won't emulate a dsi, but maybe OP can use some homebrew too if she's interested, like ninjahax 2.0, sudokuhax (maybe)? Anyways SKY3DS is best for her at the moment if her kids want to play (N)3DS only games too.

I agree it's confusing at first when you're new to this. A lot of flashcart makers often say their card support her/latest fw too, but the difference is that there're cards that only work for DS games or 3DS games there's currently no card that play them both at the same time.This is why people recommended her to buy 2 cards if she wants her kids to be able to play non 3DS games too.

So here are a few tips for OP.

If you see on a flashcard website that a flashcard support your firmware, this just means for any flashcard on the market that it hasn't been blocked on your firmware yet. Also look for small letters/descriptions saying things like

"This card will not be able to play 3DS roms unless your system firmware is <9.2" (Gateway/clones sellers may say something like that)

Another example is that a sky3ds is 3DS games only card, so it won't be able to play 3DS games(i.e. Pokemon X/Y, Mario kart 7 etc.) on any systems except a 2DS/(N)3DS. Older systems like DS Lite/DSi can not use this card unlike DS flashcards like the R4, DSTWO etc. those are DS games only flashcards afterall so they're compatible with DS systems too.

Well I hoped this helped a bit.Goodluck to OP & others who also needed help for finding the best solution for 2DS/(N)3DS that have fw >9.2.

Last edited by Angely,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sky - Any firmware
Simple interface, just click a button on the flashcard to swap games.
The downside to sky is you need to create a private header for each 3ds game (or risk using a public header) if you want to play online. It also can't play some newer games due to new AP on the cards.

Not true. You only need one private header that can be globally applied to the Sky3ds template, making EVERY game written to the card safe to play online.
The new anti-piracy affects only two releases so far, both of which are Japanese. Nothing, as yet, has been released on cartridge in North America or Europe that can't be played on the Sky3ds.

That's another thing to point out about the Sky3ds - you will only be able to play roms that are the same region as the console (unless you install the Homebrew launcher... but that's above and beyond what you're after at this point).

It's also worth pointing out that you can only use Sky3ds to play roms of retail cartridge releases, not eshop or download titles (often referred to on here as CIA's, although they can also be in the same format as cartridge roms). It also won't play modified roms (translations, hacks, etc).
In short, it will only work with roms that have been added to the Sky3ds template file (which is used by the software that writes the roms to the Sky3ds micro sd).

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Angely

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not true. You only need one private header that can be globally applied to the Sky3ds template, making EVERY game written to the card safe to play online.
The new anti-piracy affects only two releases so far, both of which are Japanese. Nothing, as yet, has been released on cartridge in North America or Europe that can't be played on the Sky3ds.

That's another thing to point out about the Sky3ds - you will only be able to play roms that are the same region as the console (unless you install the Homebrew launcher... but that's above and beyond what you're after at this point).

what I mean is for each new game you put on you have to apply a private header, I wasn't going to go into details here since we have a bunch of info threads on the matter.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what I mean is for each new game you put on you have to apply a private header, I wasn't going to go into details here since we have a bunch of info threads on the matter.
Once you've patched the template file using NoBanNoSky you don't need to do anything; you use diskwriter as you normaly would, but instead of every game getting the Sky public header it gets your private header.

xeroxeffer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know a reputable site to purchase Sky3ds? Nds-card says "sorry, no products"

Hi, Jaylaur

If you're still looking for a site to purchase the SKY3DS, I would recommend: peachds.com
I ordered on the 19th, and it was delivered on the 24th. They also have the payment option of Paypal if you use that.
You can also order the Supercard DSTWO there as well.

You will want the SKY3DS to play 3DS games and the Supercard DSTWO if you want to play DS games and GBA games. If you just want a flashcart to play DS games only, I would recommend you get the R4i 3DS Gold instead of the Supercard DSTWO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk