Want to use Steam overlay in emulators

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to be able to use the Steam overlay in things like Dolphin for control config. I added Dolphin to my Steam library, but when I launch from it, It doesn't recognize my inputs. I'd like to be able to just boot launchbox from steam and have access to all my games. I know there's a rom configurator for adding individual roms to steam, but that seems redundant and alot of work. Is there an easy way to make it work?

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
After adding it to your Steam library as a non-Steam game, try right clicking and going to controller properties and changing the settings there.

The Steam controller middleware should pass through the controller settings as xinput to Dolphin, so Dolphin should see whatever controller as an Xbox 360 compatible one. It doesn't avoid the need to configure controls within Dolphin, but it can change what inputs Dolphin receives before that. Dolphin does a good job with control mappings already though, so I'm not sure what the goal is. If you want to just use the overlay for chat, screenshots and the like, I'd disable Steam's controller middleware entirely.

Edit: Steam's controller middleware appears to only work with official Steam titles.

Last edited by krakenx,

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After fiddling a bit, I can now launch LaunchBox and boot a game. Controls work as expected. Now, I don't suppose there's a way to make Steam Autolaunch LaunchBox on boot?

After adding it to your Steam library as a non-Steam game, try right clicking and going to controller properties and changing the settings there.

The Steam controller middleware should pass through the controller settings as xinput to Dolphin, so Dolphin should see whatever controller as an Xbox 360 compatible one. It doesn't avoid the need to configure controls within Dolphin, but it can change what inputs Dolphin receives before that. Dolphin does a good job with control mappings already though, so I'm not sure what the goal is. If you want to just use the overlay for chat, screenshots and the like, I'd disable Steam's controller middleware entirely.

Edit: Steam's controller middleware appears to only work with official Steam titles.

The goal is to be able to use the paddles on my Xbox Elite V2 controller as additional buttons. I can assign multiple inputs to the same button (hold, start press, release press, double tap, etc.) I can create macros that trigger with a single button press. Hell, in theory, I can add gyro controls using my Brook Xone SE Adapter in Switch mode.

Last edited by Drak0rex,

DenkyCaliber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get any overlays on OpenGL with Dolphin. Not even the volume overlay. So I don't think we can get steam overlay either. But I haven't tested with DirectX 11/12.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Software update might improve it.