OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello there.

I'm trying to buy my first nintendo handheld, the NDS, and I'm only considering it because of that device known as R4. That said, I'm basically a real noob in the world of nintendo hardware, so, don't feel like killing me if I say something that doesn't make sense.

This topic was created because I need detailed info before trying to buy it. What I want to know is:

- Is it LEGAL? [it stores roms... Roms themselves aren't legal unless you have the original game]
- What is the average cost? [in the USA]
- Are there other options instead of R4 andthe original game? The name is Flash Card, right?
- Which is their situation? [first two questions]
- Anything bad about them you'd like to share? Like a defect, a problem during use...

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. Don't buy an R4, look for better options, you can do a whole lot more with the newer flashcarts which are reasonably the same price.

- Is it Legal? No. Unless you use JUST homebrew. Whether or not you own the original game does not make it legal to own roms. Period. (Read my Piracy thread if you have the time and patience: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=findpost&pid=902201)
- Get one around $50 ish?
- Yes.
- What do you mean?
- For the R4, it's the lack of features and product updates.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yanazake said:
Hello there.

I'm trying to buy my first nintendo handheld, the NDS, and I'm only considering it because of that device known as R4. That said, I'm basically a real noob in the world of nintendo hardware, so, don't feel like killing me if I say something that doesn't make sense.

This topic was created because I need detailed info before trying to buy it. What I want to know is:

- Is it LEGAL? [it stores roms... Roms themselves aren't legal unless you have the original game]
- Are there other options instead of R4 andthe original game? The name is Flash Card, right?
- Anything bad about them you'd like to share? Like a defect, a problem during use...
Well, I'll try to answer your questions too....doesn't hurt to get second opinion..

-It's very questionable is it legal or not! There were many discussions on this matter, and I actually see it like this, the product itself isn't illegal, as you ARE allowed to backup stuff you actually own, and homebrew scene (which is very large) isn't illegal at all..However, downloading ROMs from the internet, and playing then with your flashcart makes it illegal..
You can look at it like it's a medium, like a blank DVD, it's not illegal to own a DVD, but it's illegal to burn downloaded movie on it..

-Price depends from store to store. Important thing to say, is that there aren't any REAL R4s out there any more. The cart itself was discontinued from production, and most (almost every) R4 flashcarts you'll find on internet are probably fakes and clones..
By buying yourself unknown cart (a clone), risk of bricking, damaging your NDS is drastically higher!

-There are lots of other options that are by far more better than R4. R4 was a revolutionary cart at the time of it's release, but now, it's completely outdated. Most important thing is that all other carts that are currently actual on the scene are SDHC compatible (which means that you can use microSD card up to 32 GB in size, biggest one currently available is 8 GB, but 12 GB and 16 GB are to be released)..
R4 isn't SDHC compatible, and the biggest card you can use is 2 GB in size.
To name some of the better flashcarts, CycloDS (considered a BEST cart on the market), M3 Real (probably the best choice if you're planning on playing GBA games as much as NDS, and using lots of multimedia), SuperCardDS One (cart with many features and low price), AceKard2 (great budget cart with very nice graphic interface), EDGE, TTDS, EZ Flash V Plus.....

-Well you can check reviews here at GBAtemp, all carts are reviewed very detailed, so you can find out which one suited you/your friend most.

-R4 is at this point, really bad/stupid/illogical choice, not to mention risky, as there aren't actual real R4 out there..Even if you manage to get the real one, there were no firmware updates in the last few months, so many newer games are unplayable..

I hope I helped, if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
It's debated, but my general idea is that it's legal given the right usage, say, for homebrew (user made applications, etc), and whatnot. But you know most of us don't use it solely for that so don't think you're floating on an empty boat.

$38 or around that price for the R4. A poor price given its alternatives.

Yes, they're called flashcarts, flashcards, flash kits, whatever you want to call them. There are a good number of alternatives out there for cheaper than the R4. I recommend that you refer to this thread for catering to your specific needs, but, as a reasonable opinion, entering the DS scene with the intent of buying an R4 is a terribly bad, peer-driven choice. The rationales you'll hear from people against the R4 will generally be the same, just look around.

If you're price-driven, go for Acekard 2, SCDS1, or iTouchDS. If not, go for the CycloDS Evolution, or even the Acekard RPG.

Same as above. User intent = obligated responsibility.

Not much, the teams working on those carts mentioned are active and working so you can either pull out any questions about problems on our cart-specific boards or on their forums. Bad batches get around once in a while, but if you have a dedicated seller, they'll usually send you a new one with no extra cost.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Flashcart is 100% legal, th eillegal part is having game backups (a.k.a. ROM) without having the original copy of the games

I bought an R4 for around $22, last year, when it's the best

- Are there other options instead of R4 and the original game? The name is Flash Card, right?
Flashcart, with a "t" as in cartridge, there are lots of options besides of R4 (and its clones), the best fllashcart right now is CycloDS EVO, others include, but not limited to, Supercard products, Acekard products, M3Real, EDGE, EZFlash products.

Which questions? If you're asking about "What're their situation" then check out reviews here in GBATemp.net, the homepage contains links to official GBATemp reviews about many flashcarts

If you're referring to "Is it legal" question, Nintendo, along with more than 30 game companies, are suing R4 and friends, since flashcarts boasts "Supports clean ROM, just drag&drop" which is the only illegal part of this flashcart business.

If you're referring to "What's the average cost" question, CycloDS EVO currently sits on the throne as the most expensive flashcart, boasting lots of features, like slow-motion, real-time-save, real-time-guide, and other features, you might find some of the features useless, like slow-motion for example. If you want to just pick up and play, go for EDGE or something, which doesn't offer many features, but costs less too

I've only R4 up to this point, the same cart you're aiming for. R4 tends to lost contact with NDS, to put it simply, sometimes the cart crashes, and you gotta re-insert it again to your NDS.

R4 has many clones due to its popularity, it was the best flashcart, well it was, but has been dethroned. R4 clones include, but not limited to, (hey, who the heck knows? There might be other clones we haven't seen yet!) R4 III, R4SDHC, R4 Upgrade II. They basically features microSDHC support, which boasts more data storage capacity (up to 32GB, as EDGE's manual says) and that's that.

Also, R4 has no support anymore, many new games won't work, and you've got to modify it manually to work.

Edit: and KaizokuOu, Seven's grammar is right, why do you fix it and make it wrong? It should be "... none of us use it solely for that..."

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Might wanna throw more questions at us once you read the reviews, so you don't make a bad decision (never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually say DON'T buy a R4!)

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Regiiko said:
Might wanna throw more questions at us once you read the reviews, so you don't make a bad decision (never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually say DON'T buy a R4!)
Yes, and trust me, you're not the only one..
I really thought that there isn't much more to be done, that it can never be beat.....but boy was I wrong..

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Legal? Not in the US. It would be easy to show that these are tools to infringe copyright and thus violate the DMCA. That's why you can't buy an R4 at Walmart.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Perseid said:
Legal? Not in the US. It would be easy to show that these are tools to infringe copyright and thus violate the DMCA. That's why you can't buy an R4 at Walmart.
But you can say the same thing for blank DVDs and CDs...
wink.gif

Hehe..
tongue.gif

Yanazake

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh yeah, another question: Is it ok to ask for it onn a, average game store and the owner don't look at you with a bad eye?
Since the cart can be used for various things, legal and illegal, there is sure some stores that might want to kick you out of the building just for thinking about the cart name! Probably Wallmart is in this group :/

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't think anyone would kick you out, but also I don't think you'll find a game store that holds flash carts, especially if pirating is serious crime in your country..
Here in Croatia, I even know of one shop that sells some flash carts (way overpriced, and small selection of carts), but Croatia doesn't care about pirating AT ALL..

DarkSzero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
If your profile is saying the truth and you're from Brazil, I suggest you to buy a ds+flashcart from www.mercadolivre.com
I didn't find any shops that sells flashcarts, and if you find one I believe it will be a fake r4, the way it is. Modchips are far easier to find.
If you don't like mercadolivre, you're pretty screwed, other than buying online from other places, like dealextreme (it even has worldwide free shippping!)

Yanazake

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
ManZero said:
If your profile is saying the truth and you're from Brazil, I suggest you to buy a ds+flashcart from www.mercadolivre.com
I didn't find any shops that sells flashcarts, and if you find one I believe it will be a fake r4, the way it is. Modchips are far easier to find.
If you don't like mercadolivre, you're pretty screwed, other than buying online from other places, like dealextreme (it even has worldwide free shippping!)
Yeah, I'm from Brazil. The problem about buying here is that everything is hugely overpriced~
I'll check Mercado livre for the other flashcarts and that second site for loewer prices. Thanks a bunch!

Yanazake

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Raestloz said:
If you're referring to "What's the average cost" question, CycloDS EVO currently sits on the throne as the most expensive flashcart, boasting lots of features, like slow-motion, real-time-save, real-time-guide, and other features, you might find some of the features useless, like slow-motion for example. If you want to just pick up and play, go for EDGE or something, which doesn't offer many features, but costs less too
Who said Slow Motion is useless??? D8 And if it doesn't slow down the music, even better!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1