Hacking Waninkoko's Backup Loader FAQ

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope, not yet. But waninkoko said he wouldn't continue because of the leaker.
frown.gif
cry.gif

but I hope he does.

We are like the beta-testers
tongue.gif

And I wonder, I got a wiiplay iso that was like, 400MB or so. But now it says in the patcher 4219.625MB, and it is now like 4.37GB!
unsure.gif
I just removed the (compress) text after it, but how did it grow into that? :S

I'm going to test Wii Play (NTSC) though once its done.
biggrin.gif

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alex said:
Nope, not yet. But waninkoko said he wouldn't continue because of the leaker.
frown.gif
cry.gif

but I hope he does.

We are like the beta-testers
tongue.gif

And I wonder, I got a wiiplay iso that was like, 400MB or so. But now it says in the patcher 4219.625MB, and it is now like 4.37GB!
unsure.gif
I just removed the (compress) text after it, but how did it grow into that? :S

I'm going to test Wii Play (NTSC) though once its done.
biggrin.gif
Maybe because it pads the ISO to a size?

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
May I, by any chance, know what is this Waninkoko loader?

tongue.gif
Yeah, I'm a n00b, I don't own a Wii, and well, a curiosity won't hurt, right?

Is it an actual Wii loader backed up and modified or a loader waninkoko made from scratch?

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you would read any of the top 5 threads you would already know, but sure, here is a rundown.

Waninkoko is HUGE on the Wii Homebrew scene and has created many applications that most of us use at least semi frequently.

The latest is dubbed "ISO Loader". It allows you to patch a Wii ISO and burn a backup copy to DVD. With appropriate patching to the Wii (read 'Softmod') you can then play that backup disc. Again, this is the ability to play backed up Wii games without a hardware modification/chip.

The big problem with this is that one of the beta testers leaked the loader to the public. Waninkoko is rightfully upset and may or may not complete this project. Eventually the code will be released to comply with GPL so one way or another it will get completed. There is more to be said about this fiasco, but to be honest it would just be flaming one way or the other.

The controversy on the scene is two mindsets. First the obvious is that people want to play free games, they are all for the ISO Loader. The second are those that feel this will force Nintendo's hand into doing everything possible to disable homebrew on the Wii.

For the most part, you are caught up. Now many of us are acting as unofficial beta testers. We are testing various titles, various regions, various firmware, and trying to find workarounds for the games.

Fye_DX

Trophies
XP
Country
w4aqar said:
ISO Loader Icon and Meta made by me: click icon to download

The RAR file actually has the backup loader and the patch, so please remove the download or change the RAR, because you can't have Waninkoko's leaked loader on GBATemp.

snick422

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far,

NTSC Wii, 3.2 Firmware.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (NTSC) - Doesn't work at all
Wii Play (NTSC) - Doesn't work at all
Final Fantasy: Chocobo's Dungeon (NTSC) - Doesn't work at all
Resident Evil 4 (NTSC) - works in black and white until you start a game, it crashes after that.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible my modchip prevents this from working, because I have tried several burns and keep getting error -4100 when I try to load the disc....
I just wanted to see this baby in action

Poltergeist.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
snick422 said:
So far,

NTSC Wii, 3.2 Firmware.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (NTSC) - Doesn't work at all
Wii Play (NTSC) - Doesn't work at all
Final Fantasy: Chocobo's Dungeon (NTSC) - Doesn't work at all
Resident Evil 4 (NTSC) - works in black and white until you start a game, it crashes after that.

You should burn on TDK or Verbatim DVD-R media.

RyeSt

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys. A noob in need of help here.

I have the homebrew channel on my wii now. My problem is that when I try to Install cIOS and install dvdx I keep getting messages like "error:could not open disc subsystem! (ret = - 6) and Retrieving device contents please wait ... error (ret = -1) I have followed these instructions -

Newbie Guide (Thanks zidane_genome!)
Part One: Preparing the Loader
1. Configure your SD card for homebrew. Learn about some of the basic concepts and most used programs in using homebrew, such as the Twilight Hack and the Homebrew Channel. Learn more here.
2. Rename the dvd-backup.dol file to boot.dol and create a folder titled "Loader". Place the .dol in the folder. Find some graphic/xml files to fill in for now, or make your own.
3. Place the CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042.wad file in the wad directory of your SD card.
4. Place the backup loader files (boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml) in the Loader folder, and put the Loader folder in the apps folder on your SD Card.
5. Place the DVDX installer in a folder titled "DVDX" (without quotes) and put that in the apps folder on your SD card.
6. Place the WAD manager folder in your apps folder on your SD card.
7. Boot the Homebrew channel.

Im not sure if I have the files setup correct on the sd card. When i have renamed the dvd-backup.dol file to boot.dol and then place the back up loader files windows ask if I want to overwrite boot.dol.

Is there anywhere I can download the correct files already configured?

Sorry if this makes no sense lol

Can anyone point me in the right direction before my head explodes!!!!!. Thanks in advance.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Midnightzak said:
Arm the Homeless said:
I'll work on a Wii ISO Loader icon as well.

Pretty sure that is the icon for the ISO loader, just not labled as "ISO Loader". But go for it, you to can have a creative icon war!
biggrin.gif
I'm just making one myself because I don't like that one. Seems too all over the place with some graphics, you know what I mean?

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RyeSt said:
I have the homebrew channel on my wii now. My problem is that when I try to Install cIOS and install dvdx I keep getting messages like "error:could not open disc subsystem! (ret = - 6) and Retrieving device contents please wait ... error (ret = -1) I have followed these instructions -

Not really the place for this kind of question and you should really checkout the Homebrew Wiki @ http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

Here is a very short explaination of the necessary folder structure:

SD Card
> wad (folder)
>> CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042.wad file
> apps (folder)
>> Loader (folder)
>>> backup loader files (boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml)
>> DVDX (folder)
>>> DVDX installer files (boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml)
>> WadManager
>>> Wad Manager program files (boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml)

* Note, the icon/meta files aren't necessary and may not be included

sess

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
RyeSt said:
Im not sure if I have the files setup correct on the sd card. When i have renamed the dvd-backup.dol file to boot.dol and then place the back up loader files windows ask if I want to overwrite boot.dol.

Get that backup loader icon that w4aqar posted on this page. You're going to move that "Apps" folder to the root of your SD. You'll realize that every app has it own folder (which contains the boot, meta and icon). If you still don't get it to work, PM me.

Jebula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I just keep getting "[+] ERROR: Could not open disk subsystem! (ret = -6)"
I have installed cIOS 36 and DVDX to 249.. Discs are verbatim.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...