Hacking WADding files into channels

TheEnigmaLiesbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty random, probably impossible but it was thrown at me by a friend and I gave a bit of thought to it.

It's possible to turn ROM files into playable wad channels, yeah? Like majora's mask into OOT like they used to do.

So, has anyone ever considered making it possible to inject things like RPGmaker games into the wad files to create channels?
Imagine a homebrew community that creates games in RM2K(2k3)(xp)(vx), game maker, etc; and making them playable for the wii?

I don't think this is possible, right from the start, but It's an interesting point and I was asked to present it to some people so I'm posting it here as well as asking them.

What does everyone think?
wtf.gif

TheEnigmaLiesbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heh, did you really read it? :/

tldr;

"You can inject ROM files into other VC games and play the new games"
"do you think it would be possible to somehow make a new converter or program to do something similar with games created from the above mentioned programs to be injected into wads and make them playable on your wii just for fun"

satoshi109

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enigma,
Sadly, the replies you have gotten are correct - there is no reasonable way to do what you are suggesting. The reason NES WAD's etc. can be injected with new roms is because N created an emulator of sorts of their own which interprets roms.
What this means is that people can change this rom which the WAD contains and, in the best of situations, run their injected rom as if it were the original.
However, what you are suggesting is that someone could take a game which is for PC - or perhaps any other system - and run that in the same way. This will not be possible - a SNES emulator will not run a PC game. Think of it as if you were trying to put the install cd into the snes cart slot (probably shouldn't try this).
Long and short of it - what you are asking about with RPG maker etc will not work unless it was ported from an original copy of the source code by the creators - which is an entirely different question and will not be a universal solution for all games/programs by any means.

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well lets get into the mechanics of the idea a bit at least. It might work if you got the Game Maker Game to output with a working N64 rom. But since the Game Maker is probably (like 'bet your left nut sure') based on completely different coding, this isnt going to work just through normal injection of files into wads. It would require rewriting the base application as a wii homebrew application.

oneleggedjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well isn't there a game made with the torque game builder called Proethea?.... would it be possible to inject torque made games into that wad?? torque script is basically C# (correct me if i'm wrong) it should be possible... has anyone tried?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones