Hacking WAD save games back up

The_Hulkster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there,

I was just wondering about something, I recently installed some wad's on my Wii to see if I actually liked the games.
Sort of like using them as trial versions.
For the record, we're talking about WiiWare and some VC games.

Well now, some of them I actually liked and I'm considering buying them.

I'm about half way through in some games and of course I don't want to lose my progress.
Would it be possible to keep the save game (on an SD card for instance) and delete the wad?

And if so, could one use that save game with an officially downloaded and paid for game?

Also, when uninstalling a wad I noticed that the save game gets deleted too.
Would it be possible to backup your save game on an SD card, uninstall the wad and put the save game back whenever you reinstalled that same wad?

I hope my questions were clear enough, I couldn't find anything on this subject on the forum.

Well, thank you in advance for your replies!

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as long as you are on 3.2 or lower, the savefiles should remain intact, back them up just in case.
just MAKE SURE you only delete the pirated channels, not uninstall, using any of the available "uninstallers" also deletes saves, I believe. Of course, if you back them up to SD like I already said, you dont have to worry, and can go ahead and do a full uninstall

so yes, backing them up to sd and uninstalling then downloading and reinstalling works fine.

The_Hulkster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
noobwarrior7 said:
just MAKE SURE you only delete the pirated channels, not uninstall, using any of the available "uninstallers" also deletes saves, I believe.

I was told that deleting pirated channels through the Wii Channel Managing Menu would cause a lot of problems. Or are you referring to a different way of deleting the channels?

QUOTEso yes, backing them up to sd and uninstalling then downloading and reinstalling works fine.

You are sure about this? So I can use my pirated wad's save game with a legal version of the game?

I'm on firmware 3.3 by the way.

Thank you for your reply!
smile.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Hulkster said:
noobwarrior7 said:
just MAKE SURE you only delete the pirated channels, not uninstall, using any of the available "uninstallers" also deletes saves, I believe.

I was told that deleting pirated channels through the Wii Channel Managing Menu would cause a lot of problems. Or are you referring to a different way of deleting the channels?

QUOTEso yes, backing them up to sd and uninstalling then downloading and reinstalling works fine.

You are sure about this? So I can use my pirated wad's save game with a legal version of the game?

smile.gif

deleting pirated channels through management menu causes no problems Im aware of, except they arent fully uninstalled, which some consider a problem.

if you copy them to SD, and they won't copy back after you buy the games, it is only because you have 3.3, and I don't even think its gonna be a problem. It shouldnt be. You just downgrade if you need to.

The_Hulkster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
noobwarrior7 said:
The_Hulkster said:
noobwarrior7 said:

QUOTE said:
so yes, backing them up to sd and uninstalling then downloading and reinstalling works fine.

smile.gif

deleting pirated channels through management menu causes no problems Im aware of, except they arent fully uninstalled, which some consider a problem.

if you copy them to SD, and they won't copy back after you buy the games, it is only because you have 3.3, and I don't even think its gonna be a problem. It shouldnt be. You just downgrade if you need to.

I heard that it might hog a lot of space whilst the game isn't even on the Wii. But backing up the save game to an SD card is just as easy. Now I just hope the legal game and the game save of the previously installed wad file are compatible like you said.

Thank you very much for your help!

DarkChili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or just go into GeckoOS, reboot witht he rebooter in there, it should let you copy the saves that you couldnt usually copy before, copy your savegame for that save game, uninstall the wad, buy game, put savegame back.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)