Homebrew Is it okay to rename WAD files?

cadeswii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some Wii game forwarders, Gamecube game forwarders, emulator forwarders, and wiiware wads. Some of them have names like "9012491209123.wad" and id like to rename them to be more descript like "MAME Forwarder.wad". Is this okay or will I run into issues? Seems like its working fine for now.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I have some Wii game forwarders, Gamecube game forwarders, emulator forwarders, and wiiware wads. Some of them have names like "9012491209123.wad" and id like to rename them to be more descript like "MAME Forwarder.wad". Is this okay or will I run into issues? Seems like its working fine for now.

It's fine, won't affect the wad at all.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't use wad files since a very long time, but IIRC if a wad file is renamed after installation, you won't be able to uninstall it with wad manger.

Reactions: JuanMena

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tetsuo is right.
If something goes wrong with your wad installation, you need the exact same wad in order to uninstall it.

Make sure to test everything thoroughly before trashing your wad files!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I don't use wad files since a very long time, but IIRC if a wad file is renamed after installation, you won't be able to uninstall it with wad manger.
Not true

Edit: in fact a different wad entirely can be used to uninstall a wad, so long as they share the same title ID/slot

Last edited by XFlak,

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I seem to remember I had this kind of issue long ago, but too much time has passed and i must be confused. Ok then, better this way

Reactions: XFlak

cadeswii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tetsuo is right.
If something goes wrong with your wad installation, you need the exact same wad in order to uninstall it.

Make sure to test everything thoroughly before trashing your wad files!
Thank you I will just store backups of my renamed wads in case I need them in the future.

/j
If you rename a WAD then your Wii, PC, and everything you own will explode. Then in the mail you will get a GBA that connects to the internet, but only GBATemp. You can only use that GBA for 10 years.
You will go insane in 2.
That happened to my buddy Eric thats why I am worried

• Haha
Reactions: Chris2055

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c