cryingfist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I'm a wii-modding newbie, and I've got a (probably idiotic) question:

are you forced to install a WAD in order to use it? Or does it exist a "WAD launcher" that can read the WADs from your SD and play them without installation?

I'm asking because I'm reading that installing "bad wad" can brick your wii...

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is a way to play official wiiware and VC games. but you must unpack the wad contents. as far as getting a brick from installing a bad wad, that really shouldnt happen from official games. as part of the wad installing process, there is a hash check for each part of the wad. and that data is stored in a small file in the wad. so, if you try to install a wad with a malformed banner (the cause of a banner brick) the hash check will fail and the wad will not install.

bricks caused by installing wads come from homebrew wads where the banner is made incorrectly. then the thing is hashed and the hash of the messed up banner is put into the wad along with the bad banner.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Giantpune is right, official wads shouldn't brick due to the hash checks.

Regardless, you really should install some form of anti-brick you're modding. Bootmii as boot2 is the best way to go if your wii supports it. Otherwise, use preloader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.