Hacking WAD install over WiFi

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have not seen any utilities for this, but is there any way to install a WAD over WiFi using SMB or something? I know SMB is possible since Homebrew Launcher uses it, but I am curious if there is a way to do it (instead of taking out the SD, using a slow-a$$ USB stick, or using FTPii).

Thanks for the input.

D

Deleted User

I don't think this is a good idea.

First off, what if you suddenly have your WiFi break in the middle of the installation? BANNER BRICK

Second, why? Even a 256 mb card could support tens of WADs.

blitter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
devkitPro allows testing of dols over wifi effortlessly...so just hit alt-R after coding and compiling your own wad manager
wink.gif

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really have the expertise to recode a wad manager. I figured it would be a safe thing to do for Wiiware or VC, since they have found it's safe to do with IOS's and stuff. I see it happening that it would have something like those happen, where the info is all downloaded before it's installed.

And the thing about USB... There is a noticeable difference in the install speed of a WAD from the SD and from USB, and since I like to do things remotely from my main computer and the laptops I use don't have SD card readers, and I don't feel like having one lying around, I think the idea of WAD install over Wifi would be a good idea.

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know that's always an option, but if I could just dump WADs into an SMB shared folder, then install them really easily from that, it would be an easier process.

D

Deleted User

drmarvin said:
I know that's always an option, but if I could just dump WADs into an SMB shared folder, then install them really easily from that, it would be an easier process.

A question, why?

Transferring does not take a day to do. And installing is pretty much safe when you're doing it locally. Imagine a power cut that happens on your router, INSTANT BRICK ROFLCOPTERZZZZ.

Nice idea on the hashcheck system, downloading all then starts installing, but I think transferring through ftpii and installing with WAD Manager is faster.

Either:
1)Live with USB and it's slow speed
2)Get ftpii or SD Card Reader

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I have all of those things, but I was just thinking that WAD manager with SMB support would be a good idea. As long as you have a little space free on the NAND, you would be able to transfer it over then install it, or, I suppose, the transfer could automatically grab it to the WAD folder on the SD or something.

Instead of an integrated solution, maybe it would be possible to to create an homebrew SMB client with network copying capabilities. The client could browse a shared folder on another computer, and selected WAD files could be copied to the WAD folder on the SD card, then launch WAD manager or something.

I know these things may sound like pointless things, but there are a lot of times when I'm looking around on my computer downstairs, and I might download things, and drop them in a folder, and later or the next day or something, I'm upstairs where the Wii is, and I'd like to install them without grabbing the SD card out of the Wii, and going downstairs, copyings files, coming upstairs again, etc. If FTPii was always available (eg. like FTP was with the modded XBox dashboard), maybe this would all be a moot point, but I feel thins might be a nice utility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool