Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

I was called today to help someone with his w-lan, but shame to me, i coudn't help
frown.gif

Now before they buy a new Router ( cuz i sayed it might be a problem with the Router ) i would like to ask if there are other things i might have forgotten to do.

They have a Old D-Link router from some friend and bought a fritz w-lan stick for the pc
now when the stick is inserted i can find the router which was already set back to original BUT it just cannot connect to the router !
It gives some error message about problems with the ip and in the screen from that fritz screen i see that the pc got a ip but the router is shown as "no ip adress" and windows say "no or bad connection" (or however that error would be in english ... when the connection hast that yellow sign with the ! inside

than i tried at another computer with build in w-lan cuz i wasn't sure about that friz stick ... only ever knew fritz box from before ...
but same error, it tries to connect and says that the router would not let it connect.

And there is no chance to go into the router settings with 192.168.2.1 cuz i cannot connect to it ...

well now any suggestions ? or am i right that its a problem with the router ?

-----------

a friend just told me i should try to connect via cable before to check all settings ... but it was set back to original so it should normaly work without any problems or am i wrong ?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Youkai said:
Hi,

I was called today to help someone with his w-lan, but shame to me, i coudn't help
frown.gif

Now before they buy a new Router ( cuz i sayed it might be a problem with the Router ) i would like to ask if there are other things i might have forgotten to do.

They have a Old D-Link router from some friend and bought a fritz w-lan stick for the pc
now when the stick is inserted i can find the router which was already set back to original BUT it just cannot connect to the router !
It gives some error message about problems with the ip and in the screen from that fritz screen i see that the pc got a ip but the router is shown as "no ip adress" and windows say "no or bad connection" (or however that error would be in english ... when the connection hast that yellow sign with the ! inside

than i tried at another computer with build in w-lan cuz i wasn't sure about that friz stick ... only ever knew fritz box from before ...
but same error, it tries to connect and says that the router would not let it connect.

And there is no chance to go into the router settings with 192.168.2.1 cuz i cannot connect to it ...

well now any suggestions ? or am i right that its a problem with the router ?

-----------

a friend just told me i should try to connect via cable before to check all settings ... but it was set back to original so it should normaly work without any problems or am i wrong ?

On all routers there should be a small reset button on the back. Press and hold it for 5 seconds and keep it pressed while pulling out the power then plugging the power back in (power cycling). Make sure you connect to it using the ethernet ports on the back. The default IP for old D-Link routers is 192.168.0.1, try that to log into the router. After changing the router settings and activating the wireless, you should be able to connect.

comtois

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can always get into your router, even if it won't assign you an IP address, by putting the info in manually in the network settings.

-right click on "my network places" and go to properties
-right click on your wired or wireless connection and go to properties
-double click on "internet protocol TCP/IP"
-change it from automatic to manual

assuming your network is 192.168.2.1, these are the settings you should use:
-IP: 192.168.2.100
-Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
-Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

once you save that and refresh the connection (disconnect, connect with wireless, or repair with wired), it should connect and you can get into your router to see if there are any issues there.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol no i think i found out the problem,
i tried with my router, if i manually set the router w-lan to off it still sends and my laptop still says that my w-lan router is there and when i try to connect its the same, no ip from the router and no chance to connect.

but well even thaught i told them early enough they bought another router (cuz the one was only lend) and it worked without a problem.

P.S. totaly weird that even thaught w-lan is set off that its possible to find the router via w-lan
sleep.gif
V

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uh...exactly what was the SSID that you put on the router. Chances are people don't change it, so you're probably picking up a neighbor's ID.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2