Hacking vWii sneek

tronsonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed something strange that might provide a clue... When I Boot to Neek System Menu, all my channels are there except MotoHeroz. It plays fine if I launch it from USB Loader GX with Neek enabled, it's definitely on my emunand, but for some reason I don't see it anywhere when I Boot to Neek. Also, another thing I noticed is after booting to neek I tried launching the USB Loader GX but it just crashed with a black screen. I tried the same thing with the Mii Channel but it also just gave me a black screen. I suspect it will crash like that for any title I try to launch from the neek system menu but I haven't tested anything else.

edit: I just deleted all sneek-related files and reinstalled, not sure what went wrong before but now I can exit a game in neek and it returns to the Wii U menu like normal. When i Boot to Neek I still don't see motoheroz anywhere which is strange, but it doesn't really matter as long as I can launch the game through USB Loader GX.

Last edited by tronsonic,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
after booting to neek I tried launching the USB Loader GX but it just crashed with a black screen
You can't launched homebrew while inside neek !!
Neek is a "clean" NAND, with no used cIOS, no SD acces. (remember, SD card became "internal NAND"). HBC can't list homebrew on SD, because there's no SD.

Don't try to run homebrew inside need. use neek as a mean to fake real, untouched, official IOS sysNAND, but with more capacity and antibrick protection.

I just deleted all sneek-related files and reinstalled, not sure what went wrong before but now I can exit a game in neek and it returns to the Wii U menu like normal.
That was strange that you couldn't exit to WiiU by launching that channel manually either.
I don't know what changed, you didn't re-dumped the NAND, you only made new neek files ? maybe some corrupted files, or wrong version (Sneek on USB, etc?)

If you use Neek2o, it's Uneek2o, use it on USB, not SD.
Which means USB became "internal NAND", you don't have USB Access !!!!
don't expect USB loader to access and mouns USB .... as USB is internal NAND. There's no USB access !

Yes, SD "should" be available now, but homebrew should still not be launched from neek.
I know there's a special CFG or Wiiflow for neek, you can try these one instead, but you better just NOT use neek to launch games.
- use real NAND to play from USB loaders.
- use neek to launch incompatible wbfs from Disc channel with official IOS (not from USBLoaders and cIOS, which is exactly why you need neek)

I still don't see motoheroz anywhere which is strange, but it doesn't really matter as long as I can launch the game through USB Loader GX.
Hmm, yes, really strange.
possible cause :
- the animated banner channel is corrupted (but the game should be displayed and crash if trying to display)
- The game titleID has been edited to become a "Hidden channel" (title\00010008\ ?)
- Both ! if the animated banner has an issue, it's possible it's been edited to not see the channel ?

No other idea ;)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: godreborn

tronsonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was strange that you couldn't exit to WiiU by launching that channel manually either.
I don't know what changed, you didn't re-dumped the NAND, you only made new neek files ? maybe some corrupted files, or wrong version (Sneek on USB, etc?)
I only deleted the sneekcache and sneek folders then added the same sneek folder/files I did originally. It's also strange that when I Boot to Neek I don't see MotoHeroz anywhere on my system menu. It works when I launch it from USB Loader GX with Nand Emulation set to Neek though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I checked your screenshot on previous page, and MotoHeroes is properly located in folder 00010001\ (the channel folder), and not into 00010008 (hidden channels).
So, I don't know why you don't see that game. it requires neek to work ? it's an incompatible game using cIOS emuNAND ?
As long as you found a way to play that game and you can launch it, that's fine I guess.

tronsonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked your screenshot on previous page, and MotoHeroes is properly located in folder 00010001\ (the channel folder), and not into 00010008 (hidden channels).
So, I don't know why you don't see that game. it requires neek to work ? it's an incompatible game using cIOS emuNAND ?
As long as you found a way to play that game and you can launch it, that's fine I guess.
yeah MotoHeroz seems to require neek to work. it was crashing every time with cIOS.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah MotoHeroz seems to require neek to work. it was crashing every time with cIOS.

I don't know if I have that game. I have over 700 games, and I only have neek associated with two of them, two that I know don't work with normal emunand. those are castlevania adventure rebirth (a known title that only works with neek) and valis 2 (an injected title I got from iso. very good game). both black screen iirc with normal emunand. I know valis 2 did right after the opening movie. works perfectly with neek. and I think vania does something similar, but I already knew it only worked with neek. all games in that series of remakes don't work without neek iirc.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the thing about not installing a theme unless it's on sneek is also wrong. I've had a theme installed for years using the tutorial by @MattKimura . I think it might require wup server or a direct injection, because I'm not sure if the python script works without wup server. that would be iosu hax iirc. you can ftp from the home menu with that, but it's very, very slow.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

just right click and select edit by IDLE to see the python script's code. it will tell you where to place the file. it's different between American and European systems.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I’ve been searching this for a few days now, I want to set up NEEK to work on vWii, it works fine on Wii (I forgot how I set it up it was six years ago) thing is the link in the first page is dead and I can’t find any inform online, I can get EmuNAND working as cIOS on USB-Loader GX but not as neek2o, help?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve been searching this for a few days now, I want to set up NEEK to work on vWii, it works fine on Wii (I forgot how I set it up it was six years ago) thing is the link in the first page is dead and I can’t find any inform online, I can get EmuNAND working as cIOS on USB-Loader GX but not as neek2o, help?

I think @Cyan said the neek tutorial was outdated, so you might not want to use it. neek2o is a leaked version, I believe, so you can't build it, only normal neek. I think the difference is neek2o has more options. what I'm not sure. I have neek2o on the virtual wii myself, and it works perfectly. I'm not using my wii's nand. I'm using the virtual wii one. I kept my original wii's nand for neek as well as emunand, but I'm using a vwii nand dump for the vwii's emunand and neek2o. I could give you the files if it's allowed. I don't think it is though, because it contains Nintendo code.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I think @Cyan said the neek tutorial was outdated, so you might not want to use it. neek2o is a leaked version, I believe, so you can't build it, only normal neek. I think the difference is neek2o has more options. what I'm not sure. I have neek2o on the virtual wii myself, and it works perfectly. I'm not using my wii's nand. I'm using the virtual wii one. I kept my original wii's nand for neek as well as emunand, but I'm using a vwii nand dump for the vwii's emunand and neek2o. I could give you the files if it's allowed. I don't think it is though, because it contains Nintendo code.
I have neek2o installed on my Wii EmuNAND and it runs fine on Wii via USB Loader GX but when I run it on Wii U it only runs as cIOS not as NEEK idk why but it gives me black screen.

Edit: I should probably mention I’m using the same EmuNAND I created on Wii on my Wii U with no modifications, like I said neek2o installed, when I set it to partial it runs fine (except certain games with known issues) but if I set it to neek, black screen.

Last edited by sonictopfan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
and vWii neek needs vWii dump, you can't use Wii dump.
Maybe Wii NAND dump works fine with "cIOS emunand" mode, but I doubt it will work with "neek emuNAND" mode, or else we didn't have to find a way to make a vWii neek, we could have used Wii neek + wii dump on vWii directly.

cIOS mode uses the currently loaded "vWii d2x cIOS" (a vWii version) with real time path redirection.
neek mode reboots the entire emuNAND, if it's a Wii dump, it will mismatch the cIOS version, trying to load a Wii IOS (not cIOS) on a vWii.

Note that current vWii Neek2o leak is a Uneek (not Sneek). Put your EmuNAND path on USB. Though, I think I managed to make it work on SD... I'm unsure what makes it more USB than SD... or maybe both work, or I misunderstand with some beta version I tried.

main differences from Neek to neek2o are :
- Autoboot and "return to" support when launched from a loader.
- WBFS/ folder and file format support (no more extracted disc format needed to mount game on disc channel)
- 4k drive support (I don't remember if neek had it, so I'll put it as new feature here)

Last edited by Cyan,

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i am using them on vWii

10oplqt.jpg

j5fndg.jpg

Last edited by matto21,

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
afaik, neek2o on the vwii is a leaked version, so you have to find the files.
yeah ,im a digital packrat i still have lotsa stuff from back then.

im gonna break out the old hard drive with the compiling stuff hopefully i still have clean ios backups on it and try to compile neek20... sneek/uneek was straight forward , but i only remember using .bat to compile neek20 versions

Last edited by markehmus,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made the files on the wii, but I found the files for the vwii. however, a lot of people seem to have trouble with neek on the vwii, even with the same files.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
always worked well on my wii's and wiiU's
...only the 'neek install to real nand' didnt work
cuz i use usa wii and the install to nand neek's i found were PAL.

i dont use usbloader's
i have 3 wiikey wii's and 2 wode wii's and 2 wiiU
with all kindsa versions of neek on them and really only mods of games...
(neek is so handy for modding and testing games)

funny thing is i still burn my games onto dvd+rw to play
most recent game was the latest wiimms mario kart fun.
put mkfun on rewritable dvd+r in the old wii/wiikey a cheap projector and played on the wall with friends for hours.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we dare might require neek. I remember for a time, at least, it wouldn't work with usb loaders, only modchips. I tested it with my wiikey and a disc, and it worked. I put it on usb loader gx, but I'm not sure if it works by default. some games don't run without neek or have problems. I think castlevania adventure rebirth and valis 2 black screen before the title screen. those are the only two games I'm using with it.

I haven't had problems with neek on the wii or the virtual wii. I've had my neek nand get corrupted before, so I just remade it and injected those two games. anyway, one person using those same files can't get the system to restart after exiting a game (it freezes on black screen, I believe), and another person gets a black screen just going into neek. I think the latter may be due to not using a vwii nand. I have my entire wii's hdd backed up to four hdds, so if something ever gets corrupted, I can just replace the files. dkc returns got corrupted while playing it a few weeks ago, so I just replaced it. I also lost my saves, so I reinjected those and replaced my emunand, since it was using emunand saves. all is back to normal. I think this sabrent enclosure I use just plain sucks, and I plan to replace it eventually with another hdd enclosure (if it ever fails). I play the vwii daily, and I rarely have any issues, but I have had them a few times. I have a separate sabrent enclosure power cable and usb cable (printer cable) next to my laptop, so I can easily fix those issues by just unplugging the hdd (don't have to unplug the cables from the system or wall). that's the only reason I use this sabrent enclosure.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i hear ya , hdd failures and corrupt files annoy me disks are nice.
i find using smaller usb drives keeps me from being angry when they mess up.
so uneek on small drives is handy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.