VPN, to use or not to use, better security?

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then may I ask why most people are freaking out over this as if it was a new development?

TDS, Trump derangement syndrome.

They repealed a 4 month old regulation that had never been enforced, nothing has changed. The only thing a VPN is going to hide that is being looked at is torrent uploads.
6154279+_718130aa8be273062e0dabc4b17a89ee.jpg

Last edited by jimbo13,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I'll need to think about this, maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, as freaking usual ><
Another alternative is SSH tunneling or even proxying everything through TOR. VPNs aren't the only option for anonymization. Only problem with these two is using IRC, as most servers block the use of SOCKS proxies.

The only thing a VPN is going to hide that is being looked at is torrent uploads.
lolno, that can still be seen.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDS, Trump derangement syndrome.

They repealed a 4 month old regulation that had never been enforced, nothing has changed. The only thing a VPN is going to hide that is being looked at is torrent uploads.
*pic removed*

Please don't post political memes in my threads, it doesn't help the situation at all. But I get the idea behind it, thank you.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except privacy on the Internet and blocking updates for a game console with the hopes of attaining homebrew are two different things.
So being "paranoid" about updates isn't the same as paranoia that your being spied on. I'd say he's a hypocrite but your welcome to disagree with me on it.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
So being "paranoid" about updates isn't the same as paranoia that your being spied on. I'd say he's a hypocrite but your welcome to disagree with me on it.
I mean, I get your point; paranoia is paranoia. However, there are varying levels of severity when it comes to paranoia. It's one thing to be paranoid about it raining, so you bring an umbrella with you everywhere, and it's another thing to be paranoid about being shot upon entering a crackhouse. I don't think it's right to call Switch users paranoid for wanting to block updates, because history denotes that earlier console firmwares are the most vulnerable, but I also don't think it's right to say "fuck you" to this guy. In short, you're both in the wrong.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: the_randomizer

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I get your point; paranoia is paranoia. However, there are varying levels of severity when it comes to paranoia. It's one thing to be paranoid about it raining, so you bring an umbrella with you everywhere, and it's another thing to be paranoid about being shot upon entering a crackhouse. I don't think it's right to call Switch users paranoid for wanting to block updates, because history denotes that earlier console firmwares are the most vulnerable, but I also don't think it's right to say "fuck you" to this guy. In short, you're both in the wrong.
I'm not a hypocrite and pretending I'm above someone for wanting to protect themselves. This isn't the first time his ignorance has come biting him in the ass, should keep his mouth shut in subjects above his understanding.

In conclusion, to impede on others on blocking updates and putting a stance on any chance for homebrew support goes against the purpose of the site. It's ignorance and should just go to another forum if he has no interest in homebrew.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry just find a decent vpn and take any precautions you normally would and do whatever you was doing all along. Nothing is going to change and who knows this bill may be reversed or changed down the road.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a hypocrite and pretending I'm above someone for wanting to protect themselves. This isn't the first time his ignorance has come biting him in the ass, should keep his mouth shut in subjects above his understanding.

In conclusion, to impede on others on blocking updates and putting a stance on any chance for homebrew support goes against the purpose of the site. It's ignorance and should just go to another forum if he has no interest in homebrew.
Blocking updates to retain the possibility of homebrew is nowhere near akin to using a VPN to retain anonymity. Homebrew isn't pertinent to one's actual real life safety, and is actually detrimental to it (in this case the console developer's). Also, this is a different forum; it's the PC forum, not the Switch forum. This forum has nothing to do with Switch homebrew. GBATemp isn't an only-homebrew centric site, which you seem to not realize. You're saber rattling toward someone that made you butthurt so you're grasping at ridiculous bendy straws to justify your action of doing so.

Last edited by Joom,

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry just find a decent vpn and take any precautions you normally would and do whatever you was doing all along. Nothing is going to change and who knows this bill may be reversed or changed down the road.

Yeah, nothing really has changed and I'll just continue to use the internet as normal, thanks for the reply :P

I can now have this thread closed.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blocking updates to retain the possibility of homebrew is nowhere near akin to using a VPN to retain anonymity. Homebrew isn't pertinent to one's actual real life safety, and is actually detrimental to it (in this case the console developer's). Also, this is a different forum; it's the PC forum, not the Switch forum. This forum has nothing to do with Switch homebrew. GBATemp isn't an only-homebrew centric site, which you seem to not realize. You're saber rattling toward someone that made you butthurt so you're grasping at ridiculous bendy straws to justify your action of doing so.
I'm not butthurt. I'm just calling out a hypocrite when I see one and your jumping through hoops to avoid admitting it. I'm glad he's reading this, I hope it sinks in how foolish his ignorance is and he will shut his mouth.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another alternative is SSH tunneling or even proxying everything through TOR. VPNs aren't the only option for anonymization. Only problem with these two is using IRC, as most servers block the use of SOCKS proxies.

lolno, that can still be seen.

Luckily I don't IRC, but yeah, what I have done however, is on the Chrome side of things is disabling adsense/tracking and other ad-related features. Do you much about Ghostery and its plugin for Chrome?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC. +1