Visual Boy Advance-M & Dolphin Emulator Linking

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by LWares87, Sep 26, 2012.

Sep 26, 2012
  1. LWares87
    OP

Member LWares87 The 'Wise' Merchant

United Kingdom
    I don't know if anyone knows this (let alone, if it's the right place)... but with the latest SVN/Git revisions of VBA-M (preferably SVN r956, as it works best), you can use the Gameboy Advance features from Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures, Legend of Zelda the Windwaker and other compatible games via Network through Dolphin Emulator (any version or revision that's supported, even the latest one).

Demonstration
    Credit: Dolphin Emulator
    Dolphin to VBA-M Connectivity Showcase

Pre-Setup
    This tutorial will be for Windows only, if you're using another operating system... use either Wine or virtualization software (such as either VMWare or VirtualBox).
    • Download Dolphin from the official site here and VBA-M from here
    • Then extract them to separate folders using file archiver utility (like either WinRAR, WinZip or 7-Zip)
    • As it's against "Da Rules" of the forum and copyrighted property of Nintendo, I will not be providing a download for "gba_bios.bin" (you'll have to use a search engine, like Google to find it or dump it from your actual Gameboy Advance or a Nintendo DS using Homebrew)
    • Once you've got "gba_bios.bin", put it in the same folder as VBA-M
    Dolphin Emulator (GameCube)
    • Open the emulator. enter the configuration menu and select the Gamecube tab (with latest versions, you will need to go to the controller configuration)
    • Change the 1st port from Standard Controller to GBA (2nd port if you're playing WindWaker)
    • Then load either of the following games mentioned above (you need the Tingle Tuner from Tingle on Windfall Island in WindWaker to use the GBA function)
    VisualBoyAdvance-M (Gameboy Advance)
    • Open the emulator, go to "Options - Emulator -> BIOS Files..."
    • Select the location of "gba_bios.bin", tick enable and click OK
    • Go to "Options - Link -> Joybus Options..."
    • Set the IP address to the same one as your computer (run ipconfig in Command Prompt to check for this), Enable Joybus Connection and click OK
    • Go to "File - Open GBA..." and select "gba_bios.bin"
    • The GBA bios should load, which will then initiate the link to Dolphin
    Depending on the specifications of your computer, there may be some speed issues which can easily be fixed with a bit of tweaking in the settings of each emulator.

FOR FUN: I'd suggest trying to play Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures through a LAN or WLAN (like a school/college network) and see how that works for you.
    Make sure that you have permission to do this by the network administrator, otherwise you might get in trouble!

EDIT: the latest version works in a similar way... although, it works through the file menu instead.

Last edited by LWares87, Jul 27, 2016
    GilgameshArcher likes this.
  2. Anton299

Member Anton299 GBAtemp Regular

Ukraine
    What the exact number of VBA-M version?
    The latest SVN seems to be r1149, but there are no "link to" option in File menu.
    Also there are no "- select Dolphin Emulator via Network".
    You can only add IP under "Options->Link-> Joybus options".

In other words, Tingle Tuner doesn't work at all.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Nice, I had wondered when stuff like this would happen and always enjoy seeing how this sort of thing works behind the scenes.

4. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    If only we could get it to work with Devolution/DIOS MIOS and a DS :)

kp_centi likes this.
  5. LWares87
    OP

United Kingdom
    i knew i should of posted the SVN revision number. once i know, i'll edit my main post.

6. n3wh4x0r

Newcomer n3wh4x0r Newbie

United States
    Is this possible on Mac?

I have programs on my Mac and they both work, but I do not see the things that he says to change in VBA-M. =/

I'm getting the latest windows version and putting it in a wineskin and trying that out.

7. LWares87
    OP

United Kingdom
    i don't use a Mac, so i wouldn't be able to help you. sorry... :(

8. DarkX131

Newcomer DarkX131 Member

Bangladesh
    Uhh......It doesn't seem to work at the part where I call Tingle on Wind Waker......here's what I did:
    1)Ran Dolphin Emulator, Selected Port 2 for GBA, Started the game "LOZ Wind Waker"
    2)Ran VBA-M SVN 947, options->link->joybus options->enabled joybus(127.0.0.1)
    3)Went to ->link->options->selected network, clicked server tab, number of players->2 , Protocol TCP/IP , Clients tab -> put my IP address in it, OK
    4)Opened GBA Bios File and VBA-M was stuck with a white screen......called tingle in Wind Waker......calling......calling.......error
    Please help with this problem..... :mellow: :O :O :O

9. Alex S

Member Alex S Creator of WWHDM and Project ARUZ 2016

United States
    im getting the same issue. :(

10. LWares87
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sorry for the late reply... I would honestly recommend downloading SVN r956, as it's the version which I've tested that works properly.

@slex989 & @DarkX131:
    To fix the white screen issue that you've been having, you'll need to:
    • Go to "Options - Emulator -> BIOS Files..."
    • Select the directory where "gba_bios.bin" is, tick enable and click OK
    Also, make sure that the IP address in "Options - Link -> Joybus Options..." is set to the same one as your computer (run ipconfig in Command Prompt to check for this).

Just to point out that, i will be updating the opening post with a more up-to-date tutorial which should be a lot clearer and easier to understand.

Last edited by LWares87, Jun 1, 2016