Hardware Vista burning program

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering if Vista's burning program(where you just drop the file onto the disk drive and it copies it to the disk) will work for burning backups. I don't have Nero and this would really be helpful if I could just do it all in one easy step.

Snowknight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that will not work, as you need to use a piece of software with the ability to burn image files. I can personally attest that imgburn works very well on Vista.

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snowknight said:
No, that will not work, as you need to use a piece of software with the ability to burn image files. I can personally attest that imgburn works very well on Vista.

Ok so if I download imgburn, all I need to do is write the .iso to the disk, keep it at a reasonable speed and it should work right?

Snowknight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Provided you're using a DVD-R or a DVD+R with its booktype set to DVD-ROM, probably. I've had burns turn out badly for a number of reasons wholly unrelated to the software or medium I was using. Give that a shot, and it will probably end well.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nero? You don't use nero for Wii games, you use ImgBurn.
I burn my Wii games at 4x.
smile.gif

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, slight problem. The game I am trying to backup up is in dgr. files. I used 7-zip to open the first one(thus revealing the .iso) and when I try to move it to my desktop it says it is broken. Any suggestions? I have been letting this sit for about two days and I really want to get it to work.

EDIT:Ok in Imgburn I can't seem to find my drive. I have a lightscribe or as Imgburn calls it HL-DT-ST. Any suggestions on how to change the booktype to DVD-Rom?

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I did a bit of searching around and I think that DVD-Rs are ok on the Wii and don't need to be changed. I am not so sure of this since when i tried to play one of my backups it failed. Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: Any idea on what might be going wrong? I am using Memorex DVD-R and using Imgburn at 4x. My wii is using gamma and the game is compatable.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Imgburn, works great with either Maxell or Verbatim media burnt at 16x. Maxell is generally cheaper than Verbatim, but works just as great.

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried Maxell at 4x and it still isn't reading it in gamma. The game isn't patched or scrubbed or whatever, it is the full game. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Could it be my burner? I don't see any differences with the disk physically and my burner says DVD+RW on it.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try to burn it at the max speed of the media, if it says 16x, tell imgburn to use 16x (not MAX), and when you open imgburn, just choose the option that says "write image file to disc" and select the ISO you want to burn. Also make sure that you have the right ISO that matches your Wii region, the ISO should be marked as NTSC or USA (as opposed to PAL or any other region). Or you may just have a bad ISO, if it won't extract correctly, try to get a different ISO.

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think my burner only does 4x and 8x. Should I go ahead and give 8x a go?

Also, this is for my region and if I have to download again I am going to be very, very upset considering how long it took to get.

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the double post but in img burn it seems to take long time for the write rate to get up to speed, and even then it is jumping between 3.0 and 4.0 Could this be a problem?

davedeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i think for img is the best burner for isos...
otherwise i use nero to burning data or video dvds, because it has a disc verification like imgburn.

the onboard burning apps in winxp and vista are realy crap...

The_Flames

Trophies
XP
Country
klein said:
I just tried Maxell at 4x and it still isn't reading it in gamma. The game isn't patched or scrubbed or whatever, it is the full game. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Could it be my burner? I don't see any differences with the disk physically and my burner says DVD+RW on it.

I use +r disc's for my wii, after I swaped out my cheep new drive for my old expensive slow NEC drive the disc's were good. never under estimate the quality of the drive your using

klein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I am back and I still have some questions since I still can't get it to work.

Anyway the file I am trying to burn is 4.37gb, while the disk is 4.38. Could it be to little since imgburn writes a bit onto it also? Should I try downloading a patched version? Need help as soon as possible.

EDIT: DO I need DVDx to run backups? I saw in some videos people loading backups through that and not the homebrew channels backup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1