Hacking Viruses on any homebrew web browser?

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I am a bit worried about my recent surfing on my DS. When I was using HobroDS I noticed a pop-up on my PC so, I was wondering if viruses could leak through too.

This question also applies to DS Organize.

Thanks in advance.

genuisgeek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think its impossible or highly unlikely cuz viruses are mostly meant for PC hardware not DS unless its made for DS virus but seriously thats like unlikely

i think the same goes for a mac b/c i heard they dont get viruses cuz they dont have PC hardware they have a different software.

for pop-ups the web browser in DSOrganize just gives me a red screen that say guru meditation error cuz its so horrible
but on DSHobro it loads prety well but remember that the DS browsers cant hadle popups lol

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that was the only pop-up I had...

Basically pop-up could appear but not viruses?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
fischju said:
It is possible, if your PC isn't protected well enough.
Uhh no, its not possible.

The DS uses a wireless connection to connect to the internet which has nothing to do with the PC. Theres no way the PC can infect a DS and vice versus. Also theres no way to get a virus on the DS, even with a homebrew browser. All it does and retrieves the HTML and parses it over a HTTP connection, that is all. It doesn't even run javascript or activeX.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
fischju said:

The DS uses a wireless connection to connect to the internet which has nothing to do with the PC. Theres no way the PC can infect a DS and vice versus. Also theres no way to get a virus on the DS, even with a homebrew browser. All it does and retrieves the HTML and parses it over a HTTP connection, that is all. It doesn't even run javascript or activeX.

DSHobro is a PC based app which gets the page, and sends it to the DS. Try going to a youtube video with it, the sound will play on your PC.

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How did you got your DSBrowser up and running anyway? I can't get it working.
frown.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fischju said:
Narin said:
fischju said:

DSHobro is a PC based app which gets the page, and sends it to the DS. Try going to a youtube video with it, the sound will play on your PC.
To elaborate on what fischju said, it uses the IE engine to render the page, then the server app converts and compresses the output into jpegs which are streamed to the DS.

So yes, your PC could become infected in the same way its possible to pick up an infection through normal internet browsing.

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think ficshju is right, I could see the history of the sites I surfed on DS Hobro.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
fischju said:

He uses DS Organize and also I'm not 100% sure how DSHobro works but the chance of getting a virus is quite low. I believe DSHasbrow acts as a transcoder server that handles the HTTP protocol instead of the DS, retrives the page and parses it and returns the snapshot of the page back to the DS.

QUOTE(Urza @ May 14 2008, 01:08 AM) To elaborate on what fischju said, it uses the IE engine to render the page, then the server app converts and compresses the output into jpegs which are streamed to the DS.

So yes, your PC could become infected in the same way its possible to pick up an infection through normal internet browsing.

Ah gotcha, just as I thought. It probably embeds the IE rendering engine and uses it to process the page. So security will be based on what version of Internet Explorer is currently on the system if it doesn't embed the rendering engine directly into the transcoder server.

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeronage said:
Your DS is safe either way. Your PC is just as safe as normal surfing.

Which means my DS is safe in either way, but my PC is not if I happen to stumble on a virus filled site?

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O____o

I accidently mispelled the URL of a site, and my PC started popping up multiple pop-ups with error 404 or something like that... I couldn't control it, so I turned of my PC in panic.

Nothing seems to be abnormal, so, is it supposed to be like that?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Eski said:
O____o

I accidently mispelled the URL of a site, and my PC started popping up multiple pop-ups with error 404 or something like that... I couldn't control it, so I turned of my PC in panic.

Nothing seems to be abnormal, so, is it supposed to be like that?
Using DS Organize? You most likely have a virus or spyware on your computer. Theres no way that DS Organise browsing can affect a PC unless that PC is monitoring the network traffic for some reason which it shouldn't be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +1